Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Arnt Karlsen

Default Ill advised blundering = nasty mess

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:24:22 -0500, Harry wrote in message
<87bou51bp5.fsf@newsguy.com>:

> NOTE: Already posted on unbuntu list... but due to it being something
> of an urgent matter... and not seeing responses there... I'm posting
> here too since the tools are all debian tools.
> ----- -------- ----- --=-- ----- -------
> -----
> Due to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
> installing sendmail.
>
> I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
> reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.
>
> So uninstalled sendmail... with aptitude but it uninstalled a few
> other parts of the tools too.
>
> There appear to be several packages involved.
> p sendmail
> i sendmail-base
> C sendmail-bin
> i sendmail-cf
>
> As you see, after several attempts at uninstall/reinstall, I now have
> some installed and some not. The rub comes with sendmail-bin which is
> the package that contains /etc/init.d/sendmail
>
> Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
> to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
> missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.
>
> I've tried any number of ways to sneak up on it, but aptitude won't
> let me. Or more accurately, I don't know how to use aptitude well
> enough to resolve the problem.
>
> I tried apt-get with the --force-yes flag, in the hopes of forcing the
> install but it didn't work... showed the same dpkg error.

..try the nuclear dpkg -P --force-XXX options, list'em with
--force-help, pile'em --force-* up till you get thru the armor,
then reinstall the debris sources and exim or postfix instead
of your troublemaker sendmail.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Harry

>> Do you know of a case where postfix was made to use Smarthost
>> smtp.comcast.net? I'd probably drop sendmail after years of use in
>> favor of postfix, but the several times I tried to configure it for
>> comcasts authentication, I failed miserably.
>>
>> I am probably less than mere mortal...
>
> http://lmddgtfy.com/?q=Postfix+Comcast

Thanks, lots of people appear to have had serious trouble getting that
to work... a good number of the posts there are about dodging the
issue all together with some kind php trickery.

But my old faithful sendmail took only about 45 minutes to get setup
relaying to comcast... once I got my install botchery straightened out.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Harry

Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:

> 1) If you need a mail server but have no previous experience, have heard
> of sendmail and are unaware of anything else, then yes, I'll join in the
> recommendations that you pick a different one. It is notoriously the
> most difficult to configure.

The thread has taken a turn away from what OP was about. It wasn't
technical help with sendmail itself, but more cleaning up a mess of my
own making concerning the installing of the sendmail pkgs.

I did bang my head a bit on the authentication but finally realized I
was using credentials from a closed account... and of course it was
getting rejected ... duh.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Joe

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:42:58 -0500
Harry <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:
>
> > 1) If you need a mail server but have no previous experience, have
> > heard of sendmail and are unaware of anything else, then yes, I'll
> > join in the recommendations that you pick a different one. It is
> > notoriously the most difficult to configure.
>
> The thread has taken a turn away from what OP was about. It wasn't
> technical help with sendmail itself, but more cleaning up a mess of my
> own making concerning the installing of the sendmail pkgs.

The point there was that if a different mail server would do the job,
you could just sweep the mess under the carpet and forget about it. I
think we've all done that once or twice, such as reinstalling an OS
when it looks quicker and easier than fixing the problem.

As I said then, I basically disapprove of people being advised not to do
what they're asking for help with, but on the other hand, a beginner may
easily get into trouble using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, not
realising there are lightweight purpose-built nutcrackers now available.

It wasn't clear at the beginning of the thread how experienced you
were, hence all the 'don't even think about sendmail' advice. But even
when the use of a proper nutcracker is advised, I think the OP should
also be helped to get a firmer grip on his sledgehammer, if possible.
Someone who has learned to reliably crack nuts with a sledgehammer will
have acquired considerable skill with a much more versatile tool than a
nutcracker.

--
Joe

Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Harry Putnam

Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:42:58 -0500
> Harry <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:
>>
>> > 1) If you need a mail server but have no previous experience, have
>> > heard of sendmail and are unaware of anything else, then yes, I'll
>> > join in the recommendations that you pick a different one. It is
>> > notoriously the most difficult to configure.
>>
>> The thread has taken a turn away from what OP was about. It wasn't
>> technical help with sendmail itself, but more cleaning up a mess of my
>> own making concerning the installing of the sendmail pkgs.
>>

> The point there was that if a different mail server would do the job,
> you could just sweep the mess under the carpet and forget about it. I
> think we've all done that once or twice, such as reinstalling an OS
> when it looks quicker and easier than fixing the problem.

Thanks for the input and effort.