Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM
RiverWind

Default Alternative archiving measures

Hey There,

Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or
convert archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is
pretty ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at
least not the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my
knowledge, the "unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a
Linux system. I have gotten suggestions concerning certain
utilities, but they were windows applications. Any help would be
most sincerely appreciated.

cheerio,
Riv

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1109280436130.20512@server1.shellwor ld.net">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1109280436130.20512@server1.shellwor ld.net

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 28/09/11 18:37, RiverWind wrote:

> Hey There,
>
> Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or
> convert archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is
> pretty ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at
> least not the Debian distro.

Huh?
# apt-get install unrar
OR
# apt-get install unrar-free

> Consequently, to the best of my
> knowledge,

Mark knowledge as "upgraded".

> the "unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a
> Linux system. I have gotten suggestions concerning certain
> utilities, but they were windows applications. Any help would be
> most sincerely appreciated.
>
> cheerio,
> Riv
>
> Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
> and what I stand for.
> My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
> My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/

Cheers

Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 04:37:52 -0400, RiverWind wrote:

> Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or convert
> archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is pretty
> ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at least not
> the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my knowledge, the
> "unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a Linux system. I have
> gotten suggestions concerning certain utilities, but they were windows
> applications. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.

"rar" and "unrar" utilities are both supported in Linux and Debian but I
would avoid using them in favor of an open compression tool/file formats
(such as bz2, lzma, gz, etc...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Lorenzo Beretta

Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or convert
archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is pretty
ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at least not
the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my knowledge, the
"unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a Linux system. I have
gotten suggestions concerning certain utilities, but they were windows
applications. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.

"rar" and "unrar" utilities are both supported in Linux and Debian but I
would avoid using them in favor of an open compression tool/file formats
(such as bz2, lzma, gz, etc...)

Greetings,

Among those "etc", let me point at sevenzip, it's probably the closest
you can get to winrar

Archive: 4e838deb$0$44204$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it">htt p://lists.debian.org/4e838deb$0$44204$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Bob Proulx

RiverWind wrote:
> Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or
> convert archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is
> pretty ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at
> least not the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my
> knowledge, the "unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a
> Linux system. I have gotten suggestions concerning certain
> utilities, but they were windows applications. Any help would be
> most sincerely appreciated.

You asked this question just a short time ago and there were answers
posted to it. There were seven responses to your question there.

Perhaps you missed reading the responses? Here is a pointer to them
in the mailing list archive starting at your original question.

Bob

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:13:15 +0200, Lorenzo Beretta wrote:

> On 09/28/11 13:40, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 04:37:52 -0400, RiverWind wrote:
>>
>>> Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or convert
>>> archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is pretty
>>> ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at least not
>>> the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my knowledge, the
>>> "unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a Linux system. I
>>> have gotten suggestions concerning certain utilities, but they were
>>> windows applications. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.
>>
>> "rar" and "unrar" utilities are both supported in Linux and Debian but
>> I would avoid using them in favor of an open compression tool/file
>> formats (such as bz2, lzma, gz, etc...)
>>
> Among those "etc", let me point at sevenzip, it's probably the closest
> you can get to winrar

Mmm, you mean the file archiver application (7-Zip) or file archiver
format (.7z)?

For the former I can't tell, I stopped using it in favor of PeaZip (I
love that small and portable app) and for the .7z file format, if this
information is still true¹ (can you confirm/reject? :-?) I don't think is
the most suitable for archiving in linux boxes.

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z#Limitations

Greetings,

--
Camaleón