Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
neo haux

Default decryption of "rootpw --iscrypted XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Hi Linux lovers,
I am wondering what type of encryption is used by the option :rootpw --iscrypted
in the kickstart file ?

And is there away to get back the*password*in clear text from that encrypted*text*?
Thanks

Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:29:24 -0400, neo haux wrote:

> Hi Linux lovers,

echo "Hi Linux lovers" | sed -e "s/Linux/RedHat/g"

:-P

> I am wondering what type of encryption is used by the option : rootpw
> --iscrypted
>
> in the kickstart file ?

Google points to an MD5 hashed password, does it make sense? Manual will
confirm.

> And is there away to get back the password in clear text from that
> encrypted text ?

Hum... by decrypting that md5 hash? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Erwan David

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 05:12:57PM CEST, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> said:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:29:24 -0400, neo haux wrote:
>
> > Hi Linux lovers,
>
> echo "Hi Linux lovers" | sed -e "s/Linux/RedHat/g"
>
> :-P
>
> > I am wondering what type of encryption is used by the option : rootpw
> > --iscrypted
> >
> > in the kickstart file ?
>
> Google points to an MD5 hashed password, does it make sense? Manual will
> confirm.

Yes it is...

> > And is there away to get back the password in clear text from that
> > encrypted text ?
>
> Hum... by decrypting that md5 hash? :-?
>
> Greetings,

Difficult...

(PS : why on the *debian* list ? kickstart is used in
redhat/centos/fedora, but in debian preseed is used for this purpose.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Aaron Toponce

On 09/27/2011 10:39 AM, Erwan David wrote:
> (PS : why on the *debian* list ? kickstart is used in
> redhat/centos/fedora, but in debian preseed is used for this purpose.

Unfortunately, preseed sucks, and its documentation is highly lacking.
Thus, FAI[1] was born, and substantially superior to preseed. Further,
Debian can initialize Kickstart installs.

1. http://fai-project.org/

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o