Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Maros Zilka

Default wine in testing

Hi,

why is there wine in stable but not in testing ? Is there some debian
way to install wine on testing ?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Yes, install the version from the stable repository.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Camaleón

http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=wine

> Is there some debian way to install wine on testing ?

Compile from upstream sources? Wait until all of the above problems are
resolved? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Ralf Jung

Hi,

> Compile from upstream sources? Wait until all of the above problems are
> resolved? :-)
There are debian packages available at http://dev.carbon-
project.org/debian/wine-unstable/ however not as apt-repository.
I am building wine from source, which in a 64bit system requires some 32bit-
libraries from the following packages (plus the usual build environment, and
maybe some helper tools where the architecture does not matter):
ia32-libs-dev gcc-multilib lib32asound2-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32z1-dev

Kind regards,
Ralf

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Christopher Judd

On Tuesday 27 September 2011 07:46:54 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > why is there wine in stable but not in testing ? Is there some debian
> > > way to install wine on testing ?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
>
> Yes, install the version from the stable repository.

FWIW, I have wine-unstable, which is more up-to-date, from sid installed on a
testing system (amd-64).

(aptitude -t unstable install wine-unstable).

It seems to run just fine, although I hardly ever use it, mostly to purchase
music from iTunes, which I then generally play with amarok. iTunes will also
play music, as will jetaudio from Cowon. I use linux apps for almost all of
my work needs, so I can't say how well it works for procudtivity apps.

-Chris
| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |
| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |
| Wadsworth Center - ESP |
| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |
| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 17:51 +0000,
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:41:34 +0200, Maros Zilka wrote:
>
> > why is there wine in stable but not in testing ?
>
> http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=wine
>
> > Is there some debian way to install wine on testing ?
>
> Compile from upstream sources? Wait until all of the above
> problems are
> resolved? :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I didn't read the link, but for my testing, I'm not aware, that any of
my exotic dependency issue, is related to wine from stable. For me Wine
seems to be ok and non of the dependency issues I've got, seems to be
related to wine. Wine from stable should work for testing. I might be
mistaken, just might have good look, anyway, it won't harm to test wine
from stable.

- Ralf

Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> wine is not yet built on amd64: 1.0.1-3.1 vs 1.0.1-3.3 (missing 18
> binaries)

Wine for my testing is 1.0.1-3.1?! Seemingly there aren't any binaries
missing. I'm really sure that any inconsistencies on my Debian are
related to personal audio and video needs. My Debian is stable, I only
have got issues with software, that has nothing to do with an averaged
Debian. Of cause, ALSA is self-build, the kernel is self-build, X is
outdated on my system, which hardly would be an advantage, regarding to
a working wine from stable.

As long as installing wine from testing, won't remove any package, it's
worse the try.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 20:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > wine is not yet built on amd64: 1.0.1-3.1 vs 1.0.1-3.3 (missing 18
> > binaries)
>
> Wine for my testing is 1.0.1-3.1?! Seemingly there aren't any binaries
> missing. I'm really sure that any inconsistencies on my Debian are
> related to personal audio and video needs. My Debian is stable, I only
> have got issues with software, that has nothing to do with an averaged
> Debian. Of cause, ALSA is self-build, the kernel is self-build, X is
> outdated on my system, which hardly would be an advantage, regarding to
> a working wine from stable.
>
> As long as installing wine from testing, won't remove any package, it's
^^^^^^^^^^^^for testing, from stable