Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Chris Davies

Default cron on a system without a hardware persistant clock

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> I would look for a file on the
> filesystem that is always active on the system. I would extract the
> time from that file and use it as the basis for the new system time.
> Then at the very least you would have monotonically increasing time.

That's a really good idea. If you don't mind I'm going to pop that one
in my pocket for a rainy day.

Chris

Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:11:33 +0100, David wrote in message
<201109271011.33513.david.goodenough@btconnect.com >:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell and of the crons to
> ignore unset times?

..keep your script _simple_, on shutdowns or reboots etc
(and unless you have very short life disks, every second,)
'date -u >/path/to/last/known/time ', and on boot-up,
'date -suf /path/to/last/known/time ', or somesuch.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: