-   -   Question propmted by response to (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/580308-question-propmted-response.html)

Richard Owlett 09-26-2011 05:33 PM

Question propmted by response to

Camaleón wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:08:58 +0200, Jan Olav Agle wrote:

I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick. It failed
halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image. Not
wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.

(...)

Are you aware of this?

4.3.1. Preparing a USB stick using a hybrid CD or DVD image
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

Greetings,

I realize that page is explicitly referring to "Debian
GNU/Linux 6.0 system (codename “squeeze”)".

I'm considering moving from Windows to Linux. I've
downloaded the iso's of about a dozen distro's chosen on
disparate desires. Most, but not all, are Debian
based/inspired/...

I have fully equipped desktop machine and a laptop w/o a
functioning CD drive.

I wish to determine for each distro:
1. will it run from a USB stick on both machines? how well?
2. how well do I like the result?

Questions:
1. how compatible is it with Debian based distro's?
2. how compatible with non-Debian distro's?

One of my goals is to keep as much as possible the same
between distro's. Given that goal, is there another method
to set up my comparison?

TIA

Archive: 4E80B769.8040803@pcnetinc.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E80B769.8040803@pcnetinc.com

Camaleón 09-27-2011 11:24 AM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:33:29 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:08:58 +0200, Jan Olav Agle wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and
>>> friends. On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick.
>>> It failed halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable
>>> ISO-image. Not wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick
>>> and installed.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Are you aware of this?
>>
>> 4.3.1. Preparing a USB stick using a hybrid CD or DVD image
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-
isohybrid

> I realize that page is explicitly referring to "Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
> system (codename “squeeze”)".

Yes, and I hope also for onwards versions (>6.0)

> I'm considering moving from Windows to Linux. I've downloaded the iso's
> of about a dozen distro's chosen on disparate desires. Most, but not
> all, are Debian based/inspired/...
>
> I have fully equipped desktop machine and a laptop w/o a functioning CD
> drive.
>
> I wish to determine for each distro:
> 1. will it run from a USB stick on both machines? how well?
> 2. how well do I like the result?

You meant...?

a) "Run" (like a LiveUSB)
b) "Install from USB flash"
c) "Install into USB flash"

This needs to be expanded a bit :-)

Just to clarify. The above Debian ISO images (CD/DVD/MiniISO hybrid) are
aimed to be "installation sources" for the target system. And every
distribution provides different sets of installation media, LiveCD
images, LiveUSB...

> Questions:
> 1. how compatible is it with Debian based distro's?
> 2. how compatible with non-Debian distro's?

Hum... how compatible is "what" and "against what" are we comparing,
exactly?

> One of my goals is to keep as much as possible the same between
> distro's. Given that goal, is there another method to set up my
> comparison?

You should first clarify what's what you have in mind, I'm not seeing
your goal.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Richard Owlett 09-28-2011 09:14 PM

Camalen wrote:

I'm considering moving from Windows to Linux. I've downloaded the iso's
of about a dozen distro's chosen on disparate desires. Most, but not
all, are Debian based/inspired/...

I have fully equipped desktop machine and a laptop w/o a functioning CD
drive.

I wish to determine for each distro:
1. will it run from a USB stick on both machines? how well?
2. how well do I like the result?

You meant...?

a) "Run" (like a LiveUSB)
b) "Install from USB flash"
c) "Install into USB flash"

This needs to be expanded a bit :-)

[SNIP SOME MORE ;]

You should first clarify what's what you have in mind, I'm not seeing
your goal.

Started a reply which got longer and longer as I realized
not only what I
had left out but some unspecified (even to myself)
assumptions. I also
came across some links that caused me to rethink some
issues. I'll post a

better formed question to a new thread.

In the meantime the short version is:
I have:
1. one 16GB USB drive (freshly FAT32 formatted)
2. two WinXP machines (1 w CD drive, 1 w/o )
3. iso of ~dozen distros (most had the word "Live" in
description)

I want:
1. bootable USB drive with choice of a dozen Linux
distros at boot time

[I really want persistence]
2. two WinXP machines whose hard drive had not been touched
[had bad experience with a dual-boot setup that I was
supposed to be
able to back out of - didn't work out for unknowABLE
reasons]

Purpose:
1. Which distros can physically run on _BOTH_ my machines.
2. Which distros require least tweaking to run adequately.
3. Which of above is most natural for way I think and work.

Thank you

Archive: 4E838E4F.7070004@pcnetinc.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E838E4F.7070004@pcnetinc.com

Brian 09-28-2011 11:52 PM

On Wed 28 Sep 2011 at 16:14:55 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Started a reply which got longer and longer as I realized not only what I
> had left out but some unspecified (even to myself) assumptions. I also
> came across some links that caused me to rethink some issues. I'll post a
> better formed question to a new thread.
>
> In the meantime the short version is:
> I have:
> 1. one 16GB USB drive (freshly FAT32 formatted)
> 2. two WinXP machines (1 w CD drive, 1 w/o )
> 3. iso of ~dozen distros (most had the word "Live" in description)
> I want:
> 1. bootable USB drive with choice of a dozen Linux distros at boot time
> [I really want persistence]

PLAN A
------

Install Debian live (Squeeze) to the USB drive by booting a CD from one
of your machines. The drive should now be bootable from either
machine. Use the OS for all your everyday tasks. Get used to it. Do lots
of reading. A month or two should have you feeling fairly confident
with the system. By the end of this time you'll be so enchanted with
the technical excellence of Debian it is likely you will have forgotten
about all the other isos.

If not, you can find out about GRUB 2's loopback facility and how it can
be used to boot most isos from the GRUB menu on the USB drive.

PLAN B
------

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Persistence may or may not be a problem but saving to a USB stick is a
possibility.

Camalen 09-29-2011 01:14 PM

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:14:55 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camalen wrote:

(...)

>> You should first clarify what's what you have in mind, I'm not seeing
>> your goal.
>>

> Started a reply which got longer and longer as I realized not only what
> had left out but some unspecified (even to myself) assumptions. I also
> came across some links that caused me to rethink some issues. I'll post
> better formed question to a new thread.

Okay :-)

> In the meantime the short version is: I have:
> 1. one 16GB USB drive (freshly FAT32 formatted)
> 2. two WinXP machines (1 w CD drive, 1 w/o )
> 3. iso of ~dozen distros (most had the word "Live" in
> description)

By point 3 you mean you have several LiveCD ISO files, right?

> I want:
> 1. bootable USB drive with choice of a dozen Linux
> distros at boot time

Uf... Then you are looking for something like a multi-LiveCD bootable
from your pendrive. It could be possible but I'm not aware of any ready-
made application. I would search for more info in Google, for instance:

http://superuser.com/questions/26548/multiple-livecd-isos-on-a-single-usb-drive

> [I really want persistence]

That will depend on the LiveCD's you are using. I remember that in the
past some LiveCD/LiveUSB allowed data to be stored on the hard disk or
under a dedicated USB partition.

> 2. two WinXP machines whose hard drive had not been touched
> [had bad experience with a dual-boot setup that I was
> supposed to be
> able to back out of - didn't work out for unknowABLE
> reasons]
> Purpose:
> 1. Which distros can physically run on _BOTH_ my machines.

Run, from a LiveUSB? here you have some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

And also here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_to_create_Live_USB_systems

I'd say nowadays there are many options...

> 2. Which
> distros require least tweaking to run adequately.

For this I can't tell, you will have to read about this on every
distribution LiveUSB FAQ/requirements page as this is something it is
continously changing :-?

> 3. Which of above is most natural for way I think and work.

I dunno, really, there can be many that fits your needs although there
are distributions aimed to be run as LiveUSB (Slax, Puppy...) because
they're small and run very fast you may also find them a bit lacking, so
YMMV.

Greetings,

--
Camalen