Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Csanyi Pal

Default Upgraded from Squeeze to unstable - NVIDIA

Hi,

I had installed the NVIDIA driver downloaded from nvidia.com when run
Squeeze.

Now when I'm running unstable I have uninstalled every nvidia package
and have installed nvidia-installer-cleanup.

I'm running kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 20 07:03:13 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

and have GPU: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G73
[GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a1)

Using aptitude I'm searching for the proper nvidia driver but can't find
it. I have now installed the xserver-xorg-video-nvidia driver but still
can't get the X Window system; I get error when I start startx:
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 3: /usr/bin/X: No such file or directory
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: cannot execute: No
such file or directory
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Which package to install with aptitude to get my X Window system again?

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Brad Alexander

I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to enable the non-free repositories then install

glx-alternative-nvidia
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
libgl1-nvidia-glx
libglx-nvidia-alternatives

nvidia-alternative
nvidia-common
nvidia-glx
nvidia-installer-cleanup
nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-kernel-dkms
nvidia-settings
nvidia-support
nvidia-vdpau-driver
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

--b

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/871uv32w30.fsf_-_@debian-asztal.excito

Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Csanyi Pal

Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to enable the
> non-free repositories then install
>
> glx-alternative-nvidia
> libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
> libgl1-nvidia-glx
> libglx-nvidia-alternatives
> nvidia-alternative

Already installed.

> nvidia-common

Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).

> nvidia-glx
> nvidia-installer-cleanup
> nvidia-kernel-common
> nvidia-kernel-dkms
> nvidia-settings
> nvidia-support
> nvidia-vdpau-driver
> xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

Already installed.

Still haven't X Window yet.

I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
--help` for usage information.

Don't know what to do further to get X Window?

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
> Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> writes:
> > I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to enable
> > the non-free repositories then install
> >
> > glx-alternative-nvidia
> > libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
> > libgl1-nvidia-glx
> > libglx-nvidia-alternatives
> > nvidia-alternative
>
> Already installed.
>
> > nvidia-common
>
> Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).
>
> > nvidia-glx
> > nvidia-installer-cleanup
> > nvidia-kernel-common
> > nvidia-kernel-dkms
> > nvidia-settings
> > nvidia-support
> > nvidia-vdpau-driver
> > xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
>
> Already installed.
>
> Still haven't X Window yet.
>
> I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
> --help` for usage information.
>
> Don't know what to do further to get X Window?

Try the command "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", that should build the kernel.
You must have the correct environment available. Just call m-a, then in the
menu go through the points like Overview and Update. Make sure, all necessary
kernel-headers are installed.

Then you can try the already mentioned m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source. If
something was missing (like the kernel headers), then nvidia-kernel-dkms will
be built during the download and installation of the headers.

Make sure, everything as above is installed. If it still doesn't work, feel
free to ask again.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Csanyi Pal

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
>> Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to
>> > enable the non-free repositories then install
>> >
>> > glx-alternative-nvidia
>> > libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
>> > libgl1-nvidia-glx
>> > libglx-nvidia-alternatives
>> > nvidia-alternative
>>
>> Already installed.
>>
>> > nvidia-common
>>
>> Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).
>>
>> > nvidia-glx
>> > nvidia-installer-cleanup
>> > nvidia-kernel-common
>> > nvidia-kernel-dkms
>> > nvidia-settings
>> > nvidia-support
>> > nvidia-vdpau-driver
>> > xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
>>
>> Already installed.
>>
>> Still haven't X Window yet.
>>
>> I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
>> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
>> --help` for usage information.
>>
>> Don't know what to do further to get X Window?
>
> Try the command "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", that should build the
> kernel.
> You must have the correct environment available. Just call m-a, then
> in the menu go through the points like Overview and Update. Make sure,
> all necessary kernel-headers are installed.

Yes, I'm sure about the right kernel-headers.
I did Update in m-a.

> Then you can try the already mentioned m-a a-i
> nvidia-kernel-source. If something was missing (like the kernel
> headers), then nvidia-kernel-dkms will be built during the download
> and installation of the headers.

I did 'm-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source'.

> Make sure, everything as above is installed. If it still doesn't work,
> feel free to ask again.

Now when I run startx to try it out I get messages:
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully
(0). Closing log file.

I have Xlog here> http://paste.debian.net/132475/

What can be here the problem?

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Csanyi Pal

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

>>> Already installed.

>>> Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).

>>> Already installed.
>>>
>>> Still haven't X Window yet.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
>>> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
>>> --help` for usage information.
>>>
>>> Don't know what to do further to get X Window?
>>
>> Try the command "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", that should build the
>> kernel.
>> You must have the correct environment available. Just call m-a, then
>> in the menu go through the points like Overview and Update. Make sure,
>> all necessary kernel-headers are installed.
>
> Yes, I'm sure about the right kernel-headers.
> I did Update in m-a.
>
>> Then you can try the already mentioned m-a a-i
>> nvidia-kernel-source. If something was missing (like the kernel
>> headers), then nvidia-kernel-dkms will be built during the download
>> and installation of the headers.
>
> I did 'm-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source'.
>
>> Make sure, everything as above is installed. If it still doesn't work,
>> feel free to ask again.
>
> Now when I run startx to try it out I get messages:
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> xinit: connection to X server lost
>
> waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully
> (0). Closing log file.
>
> I have Xlog here> http://paste.debian.net/132475/
>
> What can be here the problem?

After I reboot the system, X Window just works! Thank's for everyone
for help!

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>