Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Jan Olav Agle

Default More USB install-images please!

I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick. It failed
halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image. Not
wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.

As far as I know, the debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso is the ONLY one
that can be used on both USB and CD-rom. Why not give
debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso the same functionality???? The
netinstall-image install requires much time on slow lines.

I HAVE tried dd'ing debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso to a stick. It will
not boot. Didn't expect it to do either. Had to try.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:08:58 +0200, Jan Olav Agle wrote:

> I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
> On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick. It failed
> halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image. Not
> wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.

(...)

Are you aware of this?

4.3.1. Preparing a USB stick using a hybrid CD or DVD image
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Brian

On Mon 26 Sep 2011 at 15:08:58 +0200, Jan Olav Agle wrote:

> As far as I know, the debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso is the ONLY one
> that can be used on both USB and CD-rom. Why not give
> debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso the same functionality???? The
> netinstall-image install requires much time on slow lines.
>
> I HAVE tried dd'ing debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso to a stick. It will
> not boot. Didn't expect it to do either. Had to try.

My understanding is that all the Debian images are hybrid isos so what
you did with the netinst iso is also possible with the CD-1 iso. Would
you post the output from

/sbin/fdisk -l debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso

Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 26/09/11 23:08, Jan Olav Agle wrote:
> I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
> On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick.

boot.img.gz is *just* the boot loader.
To make it function you *must also* copy an .iso image to the USB-stick
- or else it gives your *that* message. :-)

> It failed
> halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image.

HowTo:-
wget hd-media.img
wget cd.iso
dd if=hd-media.img of=/dev/stick
mount /dev/stick /mnt
cp cd.iso /mnt
umount /mnt

> Not
> wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.

The netinstall contains a bootloader.....
# parted debian-6.0.0-i386-netinst.iso print
debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso: 198MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.8kB 198MB 198MB primary boot, hidden

> As far as I know, the debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso is the ONLY one
> that can be used on both USB and CD-rom. Why not give
> debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso the same functionality????

ISO-hybrid boot is tricky - and is not supported on all machines (and
even then sometimes required fiddling with the BIOS).
It also doesn't play well with multi-arch...
There are issues with jigdo (which you are strongly encouraged to use
when downloading CD/DVD images):-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2010/09/msg00017.html
Additionally the CD/DVD images are designed primarily for CD/DVD
installations, so I'm guessing that's the prime consideration when
choosing a boot scheme.

You might want to check that CD2 doesn't have ISO-hybrid boot... in the
dim past I've been able to boot from the second CD when the first CD
wouldn't.

Coverting a standard ISO image to an ISO-hybrid image is not hard either.

> The
> netinstall-image install requires much time on slow lines.

Quick way
# cat debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/stick
# parted /dev/sde print
Model: TOSHIBA TransMemory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 1999MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.8kB 198MB 198MB primary boot, hidden

> I HAVE tried dd'ing debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso to a stick. It will
> not boot. Didn't expect it to do either. Had to try.

Needs the boot.hd.img (first).

Cheers

Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Steve McIntyre

jan.olav@agle.no wrote:
>I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
>On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick. It failed
>halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image. Not
>wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.
>
>As far as I know, the debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso is the ONLY one
>that can be used on both USB and CD-rom. Why not give
>debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso the same functionality???? The
>netinstall-image install requires much time on slow lines.
>
>I HAVE tried dd'ing debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso to a stick. It will
>not boot. Didn't expect it to do either. Had to try.

Then there's most likely a problem with your BIOS I'm afraid. For both
amd64 and i386, the first disc in *every* set is created using
iso-hybrid options to make it work both on CD/DVD as well as on USB:

businesscard
netinst
CD#1
DVD#1
BD#1

As normal, I ran lots of tests when I created the images for 6.0.2.1,
but just to make sure 100% that things are OK I've just downloaded
debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso onto a USB stick. It booted just fine on
an i386 netbook here.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Johan Scheepers

[...]

Have you tried unetbootin to write iso to stick.
I used it a few times and it worked every time.
Install it with apt-get.
Johan S

Archive: 4E821FAD.2060904@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E821FAD.2060904@telkomsa.net

Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

* Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> [110927 14:12]:
> On 27/09/2011 19:28, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> jan.olav@agle.no wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.

For repeated installations of the same Debian distributions, setting
up an approx server on your laptop can save you much time. The approx
cache in /var does not take much space, even if you are installing
multiple distributions (such as stable and testing).

RLH