Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Lisi

Default advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard
Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?

And would you recommend it? I don't want to cause myself complications with
another dud drive. :-(

If you wouldn't recommend it, what would you recommend?

It is, of course, for use with Debian.

Thanks!
Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:53:01 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal
> Hard Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?
>
> And would you recommend it? I don't want to cause myself complications
> with another dud drive. :-(
>
> If you wouldn't recommend it, what would you recommend?
>
> It is, of course, for use with Debian.

For what specific purpose?

It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...

A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Lisi

On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:
> For what specific purpose?
>
> It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
> storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
> part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...
>
> A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.

Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it. All I am
asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges. Once
burnt, twice shy.

Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:53:01 +0100, Lisi wrote:
>
> > Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal
> > Hard Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?
> >
> > And would you recommend it? I don't want to cause myself complications
> > with another dud drive. :-(
> >
> > If you wouldn't recommend it, what would you recommend?
> >
> > It is, of course, for use with Debian.
>
> For what specific purpose?
>
> It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
> storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
> part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...
>
> A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Currently running Debian Linux on that exact drive with no issues at
all.

--
John W. Foster

Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Davide Mirtillo

Il 26/09/2011 15:44, Lisi ha scritto:
> On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:
>> For what specific purpose?
>>
>> It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
>> storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
>> part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...
>>
>> A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.
>
> Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it. All I am
> asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges. Once
> burnt, twice shy.

Attitude? I would worry about the technical details of the drive. And
yes, system specifications do help if you need an advice. If you were
going for a RAID setup, i would reccomend you pick other brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

--
Davide Mirtillo

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:44:31 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:
>> For what specific purpose?
>>
>> It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
>> storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as
>> a part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...
>>
>> A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.
>
> Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it. All I am
> asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges.
> Once burnt, twice shy.

Attitude has nothing to do with performance nor adequacy.

There are drives that are focused to be run to store data (slow rotation
→ long life, power-saving capabilites...) while others are to be run over
systems that "needs for speed", reliability and/or maximum performance.

Back to your question: is it worth the black edition for non specific
purpose and generally speaking?

Okay, what are both prizes (blue and black) and what's the exact blue
model? But I bet yes, black edition features a 5-year guarantee and only
for that I would add extra pennies to the buy.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Miles Fidelman

Davide Mirtillo wrote:

Il 26/09/2011 15:44, Lisi ha scritto:

On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:

For what specific purpose?

It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...

A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.

Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it. All I am
asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges. Once
burnt, twice shy.

Attitude? I would worry about the technical details of the drive. And
yes, system specifications do help if you need an advice. If you were
going for a RAID setup, i would reccomend you pick other brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

Davide, you beat me to it - I was going to make roughly the same comment :-)

Though, it's not necessarily a matter of picking another brand. Some of
the WD drives are fine - it's more a matter of picking "enterprise"
drives for use in RAID arrays. I learned all this the hard way, a few
years back, when my nicely tuned, high-availability RAID1 array turned
to sludge -- turns out my vendor had shipped with drives with TLER
turned on. Needless to say, all replacement drives since have been very
carefully selected. Having pretty good luck with WD drives, just have
to be the right ones. (The other lesson, of course, is... if you bought
all the drives in a RAID array at the same time, replace them all as
quickly as possible, after the first one goes south.)

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4E808A1F.6050700@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E808A1F.6050700@meetinghouse.net

Old 09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi,

Lisi wrote:
Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard
Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?

And would you recommend it? I don't want to cause myself complications with
another dud drive. :-(

Of all the options from WD, I would definitely go with the Black ones --
they have longer warranty and are a much "safer" bet. But as with all
HDDs, they will fail one day .... you are much more likely to get longer
service from a WD BLACK though.

Here's a fair summary page:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

NB: The warranty is longer for a good reason and you're likely to have
larger cache on the drive as well.

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E808CF8.2020300@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E808CF8.2020300@affinityvision.com.au

Old 09-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Lisi

On Monday 26 September 2011 15:08:27 Camaleón wrote:
> But I bet yes, black edition features a 5-year guarantee and only
> for that I would add extra pennies to the buy.

Thanks, Camaleón. :-) That answers my question - I hadn't picked that info
up. So yes, to me that makes it worth it.

But to answer some of the other specific questions:

I don't expect speed to matter. My computers are all slow, so why worry about
the speed of an external HDD? Reliability matters more.

I am not at the moment intending to use it for a Raid array. But if I can
expect it to last 5 years, its use may well change over time. My drives
periodically play musical chairs.

So the next question is: I am taking your advice Camaleon. So which external
caddy or make of external caddy would people recommend for a WD1002FAEX? Or
doesn't it really make much difference?

Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:37:23 +0100, Lisi wrote:

(...)

> So the next question is: I am taking your advice Camaleon. So which
> external caddy or make of external caddy would people recommend for a
> WD1002FAEX? Or doesn't it really make much difference?

It doesn't have to make any difference.

I have external enclosures of both types, branded and "with no labels"
and had no problems with any of them.

As you did not provide any item from we can choose to, I can tell you
what fetaures I look for when buying these cases:

1/ Fanless aluminium based (I hate noise but disk needs to be cooled if
it's going to be most of the time "on").

2/ Nowadays I will look for a USB 3.0 enclosure with additional ports
(such as firewire or eSATA, depending on what are your computer's extra
connections, if any).

3/ Read *a lot* before buying to see if the case will work under linux. It
does not have to have any problems, but ensure the chipset is supported
by the kernel and uses open specs.

A good start point for digging is NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Although they're USA based, I find it very useful due to the large amount
of products it has and user's feedback.

(there are also Amazon or another places where you can gather this data)

4/ A good design also helps in my decision but what you consider nice
can differ from my point of view (and viceversa). I like cases with not
many colors, sober, with small and not so bright leds to avoid
disturbing me, a dedicated power switch button and addons like to be able
to put the unit horizontally or vertically, small power supply...).

5/ Case size... 3.5" are okay if you have space limitations but 5.25"
cases will provide more room for a better cable management.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón