Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
francis picabia

Default advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lisi wrote:
>>
>> Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard
>> Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?
>>
>> And would you recommend it? *I don't want to cause myself complications
>> with another dud drive. :-(
>
> Of all the options from WD, I would definitely go with the Black ones --
> they have longer warranty and are a much "safer" bet. *But as with all HDDs,
> they will fail one day .... you are much more likely to get longer service
> from a WD BLACK though.
>
> Here's a fair summary page:
>
> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/
>
> NB: The warranty is longer for a good reason and you're likely to have
> larger cache on the drive as well.

According to the product pages for WD Black or Blue drives, they are
suitable for RAID 0/1
on consumer desktop only. WD recommends their Enterprise line of
drives (e.g. RE4)
for servers running RAID. Look at their site for more information.
When you reach
the page for a drive, click on the lower banner "More Features".
Only then do you see
about RAID suitability and TLER issues with the particular drive.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Lisi

On Monday 26 September 2011 16:48:56 Camaleón wrote:
> As you did not provide any item from we can choose to, I can tell you
> what fetaures I look for when buying these cases:

Thanks Camaleón,

I didn't have a clue where to start! Hence no info. In the past I have just
bought a case, and it has just worked - but it seemed worth asking the
question "does it matter", and you have given me just the sort of answer that
is useful!

Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Lisi

On Monday 26 September 2011 17:12:42 francis picabia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew McGlashan
>
> <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lisi wrote:
> >> Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal
> >> Hard Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?
> >>
> >> And would you recommend it? *I don't want to cause myself complications
> >> with another dud drive. :-(
> >
> > Of all the options from WD, I would definitely go with the Black ones --
> > they have longer warranty and are a much "safer" bet. *But as with all
> > HDDs, they will fail one day .... you are much more likely to get longer
> > service from a WD BLACK though.
> >
> > Here's a fair summary page:
> >
> > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/
> >
> > NB: The warranty is longer for a good reason and you're likely to have
> > larger cache on the drive as well.
>
> According to the product pages for WD Black or Blue drives, they are
> suitable for RAID 0/1
> on consumer desktop only. WD recommends their Enterprise line of
> drives (e.g. RE4)
> for servers running RAID. Look at their site for more information.
> When you reach
> the page for a drive, click on the lower banner "More Features".
> Only then do you see
> about RAID suitability and TLER issues with the particular drive.

Thanks, Francis - but David had understood what I meant and answered exactly
the question that I was asking, so his reply was, from my point of view,
perfect. I accept that to give the perfect answer he had probably had to use
divination, but he had done so to great effect.

Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Stan Hoeppner