Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Camaleón

Default New SATA drive installation question (SOLVED)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:48:16 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> On 09/25/11 06:36, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:34:12 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
>> formatted from factory :-)
>
> That shows how long it's been since I installed a new drive. The last
> time that I did so, it was the current drive in this box -- a 40GB WD
> drive. It came with a single FAT partition, IIRC.

I've never had an internal hard disk which came preformatted from factory
but in the past, every manufacturer had its own "mania" and tried to make
installations as smooth as possible for the user. I can't tell for WD,
though, I used to buy IBM (for SCSI) and Seagate (IDE/SATA/SCSI).

> Do they even make 40GB drives anymore?

You can still find small sized hard disks, mostly IDE, but I dunno if
companies are actively manufactiring them. I guess yes, because aside the
computers market, there are industries where IDE units are still used
(CCTV, embedded devices for industry, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 25 September 2011 18:29:10 Camaleón wrote:
> It seems to me that you replied to more than that statement as we were
> not talking about external hard disks at all.

I _was_ replying solely to the statement. I did not read thro' the thread and
make sure of the context, and you can and do say that I should have.
None-the-less, I was replying to the actual statement.

Lisi

Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:47:45 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 25 September 2011 18:29:10 Camaleón wrote:
>> It seems to me that you replied to more than that statement as we were
>> not talking about external hard disks at all.
>
> I _was_ replying solely to the statement.

And you expanded with additional information that was not related at all
with the current OP thread and of course, with the above statement that
was not aimed to external nor other types of hard disks.

> I did not read thro' the thread and make sure of the context, and you
> can and do say that I should have. None-the-less, I was replying to the
> actual statement.

Yes, you should have read the full thread, because by not doing so you
missed important and relevant information, and what is worse, you
"insisted" in consider an unqualified statement something which of
course, it was not should you have read it appropriately.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Lisi

On Monday 26 September 2011 19:07:17 Camaleón wrote:
> Yes, you should have read the full thread

I'm not the only one who has been known to transgress in that manner. And I'm
sure that I won't be the last. Don't you think that this all getting a bit
OTT for what was, after all, not that serious a misdemeanour?

Lisi

Old 09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:06:06 +0100, Lisi wrote:

Gee... still with this? :-)

> On Monday 26 September 2011 19:07:17 Camaleón wrote:
>> Yes, you should have read the full thread
>
> I'm not the only one who has been known to transgress in that manner.
> And I'm sure that I won't be the last. Don't you think that this all
> getting a bit OTT for what was, after all, not that serious a
> misdemeanour?

Lisi, just some thoughts...

You have to stop cutting the quotes you reply in the way you do because
by doing so you are removing information that is needed to understand
what the user you are replying is saying.

Then, you have to start reading the "whole thing" (aka, the whole thread)
before making such statements on what you find "qualified" or not because
something can look unqualified only to unqualified eyes, so please, I
understand that sometimes we (we → mailing list users) want to make a
side comment on something that affects us directy and use any excuse to
move the thread to our field of interest but at least be fair enough to
not mix things.

Hope all is more clear now.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 27 September 2011 12:53:34 Camaleón wrote:
> Then, you have to start reading the "whole thing" (aka, the whole thread)
> before making such statements on what you find "qualified" or not because
> something can look unqualified only to unqualified eyes, so please, I
> understand that sometimes we (we → mailing list users) want to make a
> side comment on something that affects us directy and use any excuse to
> move the thread to our field of interest but at least be fair enough to
> not mix things.

I wasn't trying to move anything. You persist in deliberately twisting both
what I said then and what I am saying now. I am quoting what I am actually
replying to. I am not mixing anything or trying to move anything. I am
merely "guilty" of not pleasing you. That is not a crime. And I do not have
to do what you want. If you want to try to move and misinterpret what I say,
go ahead, but stop lecturing me as though I were a naughty schoolgirl.

Lisi

Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:50:05 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 September 2011 12:53:34 Camaleón wrote:
>> Then, you have to start reading the "whole thing" (aka, the whole
>> thread) before making such statements on what you find "qualified" or
>> not because something can look unqualified only to unqualified eyes, so
>> please, I understand that sometimes we (we → mailing list users) want
>> to make a side comment on something that affects us directy and use any
>> excuse to move the thread to our field of interest but at least be fair
>> enough to not mix things.
>
> I wasn't trying to move anything.

It didn't seemed so. You deliberately added information about your own
problem (that has nothing to do with the one experienced by the OP) and
by doing so redirected the main issue (OP's) to another one (yours).

> You persist in deliberately twisting both what I said then and what I
> am saying now.

It's not me who cuts your quotes and reduce them to "one line" and then
replies to a one-line stanza and disturbs the context in what it was made.

> I am quoting what I am actually replying to.

And that's fine. I also do but I also take care of the removed content
and reply accordingly! So if I was talking about a specific device
(internal hard disks), why on the earth should I have considered another
kind of HDs? Do you want me to start making a list of every device
current capacities and formatting features? That will be a very large
list.

> I am not mixing anything or trying to move anything. I am merely
> "guilty" of not pleasing you. That is not a crime. And I do not have
> to do what you want.

That does not sound very fair... is not just me the only person you
should reply correctly but to all of the users :-/

> If you want to try to move and misinterpret what I say, go ahead, but
> stop lecturing me as though I were a naughty schoolgirl.

Sorry, Lisi but on a mailing list there are some rules you should try to
follow, and I don't want to sound rude but you insisted too much in
remarking something I was not talking about, dunno why.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:50:05 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 September 2011 12:53:34 Camaleón wrote:
> >> Then, you have to start reading the "whole thing" (aka, the whole
> >> thread) before making such statements on what you find "qualified"
> >> or not because something can look unqualified only to unqualified
> >> eyes, so please, I understand that sometimes we (we → mailing list
> >> users) want to make a side comment on something that affects us
> >> directy and use any excuse to move the thread to our field of
> >> interest but at least be fair enough to not mix things.
> >
> > I wasn't trying to move anything.
>
> It didn't seemed so. You deliberately added information about your own
> problem (that has nothing to do with the one experienced by the OP) and
> by doing so redirected the main issue (OP's) to another one (yours).

What speaks against carrying this out in private mail? Or even just drop
it? From what I gathered there have been a misunderstanding, granted, but
I fail to find the drama in there.

Thanks,

Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:34:23 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
>> >
>> > I wasn't trying to move anything.
>>
>> It didn't seemed so. You deliberately added information about your own
>> problem (that has nothing to do with the one experienced by the OP) and
>> by doing so redirected the main issue (OP's) to another one (yours).
>
> What speaks against carrying this out in private mail? Or even just drop
> it? From what I gathered there have been a misunderstanding, granted,
> but I fail to find the drama in there.

No problem. For me this thread is now closed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 28 September 2011 12:10:05 Camaleón wrote:
> Sorry, Lisi but on a mailing list there are some rules you should try to
> follow, and I don't want to sound rude but you insisted too much in
> remarking something I was not talking about, dunno why.

Camaleón - this is absurd. You do sound extremely rude. You don't follow the
rules yourself. What about the one about not flaming? I diverted nothing.
No-one but you responded. I have not started, nor wished to start, the
thread you imagine I was trying to start.

And I didn't insist at all. I suggest that _you_ reread the thread. I made a
remark to which you took exception. I did not react at all to your first
blast, because I knew that you were likely to react as you in fact did.
One person said that he didn't think I had meant what you were attributing to
me. So you blasted him. Had you not done so, I would still have let it
pass. I replied that he was right and that I had not meant what you said I
meant. That was all.

ALL the insisting is being done by you. It is not up to you to single
handedly police the net. I fully expect in the near future that someone will
object to all this flaming. But I am not prepared to just accept that you
are entitled to treat me like this.

You are being rude and dictatorial. And I did not insist on anything until
after you had started this ridiculous attack/war. And I do insist that the
only thing I did contrary to net etiquette is not reread the thread. I made
no attempt to divert it.

I just reacted to a remark by you in a manner which you feel (probably
correctly) ignored the full thread. Of course I spoke from my own
experience. Would you have been happier if I had simply flatly contradicted
what you said, without making it clear what I was talking about? I thought
that you were exaggerating. Most of us do sometimes.

I am not prepared to just sit here meekly while you order me around like this.
You are one of the most knowledgeable and most helpful of all the people on
this list. That does not give you the right to behave in such a bombastic,
rude and high-handed way.

Lisi