FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Роман Новиков
 
Default problems with external HDD

had the same problem with my htc hero

so my recipe:
# mount /dev/sdc /media/smth
the result is some message, nothing is mounted, but AFTER this line

# mount /dev/sdc1 /media/smth
works well!



2011/9/26 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>

Hello all!



Where do I go from here?



mount /dev/sdc1 /media/Distros/

mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist

Tux:/home/lisi# dmesg | tail

[10296.211252] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108

MB)

[10296.211913] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off

[10296.211917] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 2f 08 00 00

[10296.211921] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through

[10296.213409] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108

MB)

[10296.214031] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off

[10296.214035] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 2f 08 00 00

[10296.214038] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through

[10296.214047] *sdc: sdc1

[10296.265961] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk

Tux:/home/lisi# mount dev/sdc1 /media/Distros

mount: special device dev/sdc1 does not exist

Tux:/home/lisi# mount

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

/dev/sda1 on /home type ext3 (rw)

Tux:/home/lisi# mount /dev/sdc /media/Distros

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Tux:/home/lisi# mount /dev/sdc -t ext3 /media/Distros

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,

* * * missing codepage or helper program, or other error

* * * In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

* * * dmesg | tail *or so



This is the drive I said that I was having problems with. :-( *I suppose that

it might be faulty, but I am more inclined to think that I have still not

finally and fully succeeded in ridding myself of the Windows "locks".



Lisi





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201109260853.25539.lisi.reisz@gmail.com





--
С уважением,
*оман Новиков
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Jrg-Volker Peetz
 
Default problems with external HDD

Jochen Spieker wrote, on 09/26/11 10:25:
> Lisi:
>>
>> Tux:/home/lisi# mount dev/sdc1 /media/Distros
>> mount: special device dev/sdc1 does not exist
>
> Is this literally copy-pasted? -Then you are simply missing a / at the
> beginning of /dev/sdc1.
>
> J.
Yes, I concur with that. When inserting a USB drive with older kernels, there is
a certain waiting time (5 s?) before the device gets registered. Though your
first call of the mount command was correct, the device wasn't recognized yet.
Your second mount command simply had a typo.
--
Best regards,
Jrg-Volker.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j5pes4$uoi$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j5pes4$uoi$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Lisi
 
Default problems with external HDD

On Monday 26 September 2011 09:59:08 Jrg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Jochen Spieker wrote, on 09/26/11 10:25:
> > Lisi:
> >> Tux:/home/lisi# mount dev/sdc1 /media/Distros
> >> mount: special device dev/sdc1 does not exist
> >
> > Is this literally copy-pasted? -Then you are simply missing a / at the
> > beginning of /dev/sdc1.
> >
> > J.
>
> Yes, I concur with that. When inserting a USB drive with older kernels,
> there is a certain waiting time (5 s?) before the device gets registered.
> Though your first call of the mount command was correct, the device wasn't
> recognized yet. Your second mount command simply had a typo.

Thanks, both of you. Sadly my appalling typing is matched only by my poor
proof-reading. ;-(

My I also found that fstab had lost a couple of entries, of which that disk
was one. Probably the result of that mess I made the other day from which
you lot kindly rescued me.

Anyhow, for whatever reason, it now works. Even if only temporarily. o/

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109261048.36589.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109261048.36589.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Lisi
 
Default problems with external HDD

On Monday 26 September 2011 10:48:36 Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 26 September 2011 09:59:08 Jrg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > Jochen Spieker wrote, on 09/26/11 10:25:
> > > Lisi:
> > >> Tux:/home/lisi# mount dev/sdc1 /media/Distros
> > >> mount: special device dev/sdc1 does not exist
> > >
> > > Is this literally copy-pasted? -Then you are simply missing a / at the
> > > beginning of /dev/sdc1.
> > >
> > > J.
> >
> > Yes, I concur with that. When inserting a USB drive with older kernels,
> > there is a certain waiting time (5 s?) before the device gets registered.
> > Though your first call of the mount command was correct, the device
> > wasn't recognized yet. Your second mount command simply had a typo.
>
> Thanks, both of you. Sadly my appalling typing is matched only by my poor
> proof-reading. ;-(
>
> My I also found that fstab had lost a couple of entries, of which that disk
> was one. Probably the result of that mess I made the other day from which
> you lot kindly rescued me.
>
> Anyhow, for whatever reason, it now works. Even if only temporarily. o/

It turned out ot be very temporarily. Like for one use only.

I tend to assume that PEBCAK is far more likely than that a new piece of kit
should be faulty. And this was beginning to be tedious. So before
complaining to Amazon I checked that I hadn't been told I had to use Windows.
In the process, I found that the problems I have been having are all too
common with the Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive, and all
the cases I came across were being used with Windows.

So it is going back to Amazon, and I have asked for a refund rather than for a
replacement.

Thanks for the help.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109261159.08837.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109261159.08837.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Camalen
 
Default problems with external HDD

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:53:25 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Where do I go from here?

(...)

What kind of filesystem is on it?

> mount /dev/sdc1 /media/Distros/

Why a manual mount? External devices are usually automatically mounted,
depending on your desktop/window manager capabilities.

> mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist
> Tux:/home/lisi# dmesg | tail
> [10296.211252] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
> [10296.211913] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
> [10296.211917] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 2f 08 00 00
> [10296.211921] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
> [10296.213409] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
> [10296.214031] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
> [10296.214035] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 2f 08 00 00
> [10296.214038] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
> [10296.214047] sdc: sdc1
> [10296.265961] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk

(...)

It seems that "sdc1" partition is detected but nothing more.

> exist Tux:/home/lisi# mount

(...)

You external disk is not listed.

> Tux:/home/lisi# mount /dev/sdc /media/Distros

(...)

What does "fdisk -l /dev/sdc" returns (has to be run as root)?

> This is the drive I said that I was having problems with. :-( I suppose
> that it might be faulty, but I am more inclined to think that I have
> still not finally and fully succeeded in ridding myself of the Windows
> "locks".

You can run manufacturer's disk tools to analyze the drive.

Greetings,

--
Camalen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.26.13.55.16@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.26.13.55.16@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org