Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Default Partitioning my new 1TB drive

I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system like ext4 for
this size of drive.
E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker

Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Andrew McGlashan

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system like ext4 for
this size of drive.
E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.

Yes, but not if you are still on Lenny .... I have a Lenny box that was
quite happy to create an ext4 file system, but it wouldn't mount due to
the file system not being properly supported So, I simply
reverted back to ext3. But Squeeze is no problem.

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E802D16.4010404@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E802D16.4010404@affinityvision.com.au

Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Nuno Magalhães

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 06:07, David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend LVM:

+1, did that for a 1TB (931GiB) Seagte, you'll end up with a
/dev/mapper/volumeGrouName-partitionName1
/dev/mapper/volumeGrouName-partitionName2

If you RTFM around it's fairily straightforward. I'm almost using up
my first 300GiB partition, time to extend.

--
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:19:45 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by Linux,
> I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous thread, my
> current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to keep it as
> the boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra storage.

Have you considered in making the new big disk the default one?

You can easily clone the current system into the new disk, step which
will not require a full installation and you will gain:

1/ Extra space for your system files
2/ Extra speed for the system itself

While a new hard disk can be a two-edged sword (old disk can be start
failing at any time due to the MTBF but a new hard disk is also a risk) I
would reconsider that option.

> Since I don't do regular backups (I already know what you will say
> about that) I am also wondering what I might be able to do, now that I
> have space, for a little added security in that matter. Perhaps I
> could just copy the 40GB boot drive to a backup directory tree and keep
> it updated with rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?

Yes, that's an option.

Or maybe you can use software raid (raid1) to keep in sync 2 partitions
(one at the IDE unit and other at the SATA disk), I think this can be
done with linux sw raid while I'm not completely sure and given they're
using different speed buses maybe is not even desiderable because of
false possitives (raid drops), hum... :-?

> My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have never
> had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically possible
> to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is probably not
> a practical way to do it (and I will want several different partitions,
> anyway).

That's right. Partition the drive, at least with x2 ~500 GiB volumes if
you want to store big files on it, or x4 volumes of ~250 GiB.

> If I am using ext3 partitions with neither vast numbers of tiny files,
> nor small numbers of monstrously large files, what is a reasonable
> maximum size for a partition that will be easy on the file system and
> the drive, itself?

If you are planning to use the big disk for data storage "only", I think
that would not matter so much, but still, I would keep at least 2
partitions :-).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Hi Marc,

Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by
> Linux, I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous
> thread, my current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to
> keep it as the boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra
> storage. Since I don't do regular backups (I already know what you
> will say about that) I am also wondering what I might be able to do,
> now that I have space, for a little added security in that matter.
> Perhaps I could just copy the 40GB boot drive to a backup directory
> tree and keep it updated with rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?
>
> My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have
> never had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically
> possible to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is
> probably not a practical way to do it (and I will want several
> different partitions, anyway). If I am using ext3 partitions with
> neither vast numbers of tiny files, nor small numbers of monstrously
> large files, what is a reasonable maximum size for a partition that
> will be easy on the file system and the drive, itself?

LVM. Really. For that size.

If you want to boot from it, have a 100-250 MiB big /boot. Rest LVM.
Unless you want to have some exchange possibilities with Windows users,
then put some FAT32 or NTFS partition on it as well. NTFS gives you more
than 4 GB maximum filesize. ntfs-3g can write NTFS.

I would recommend Ext4 for fast fsck times even if you do not intend to
store really large files on it.

Ciao,

Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Nicolas

[...]

Hi

I have a disk with the same space and i use lvm dividing it in several
partitions and a 300 gb free space block if any of the partitions need
more space. It's very practical and dependable. And the filesystem is
ext4 for all of them.

Good luck!

Archive: 4E80D174.7050808@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E80D174.7050808@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Marc Shapiro

Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by Linux,
I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous thread, my
current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to keep it as the
boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra storage. Since I
don't do regular backups (I already know what you will say about that) I
am also wondering what I might be able to do, now that I have space, for
a little added security in that matter. Perhaps I could just copy the
40GB boot drive to a backup directory tree and keep it updated with
rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?

Read "Backup & Recovery Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open Systems"
By W. Curtis Preston:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do

My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have never
had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically possible
to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is probably not
a practical way to do it (and I will want several different partitions,
anyway). If I am using ext3 partitions with neither vast numbers of tiny
files, nor small numbers of monstrously large files, what is a
reasonable maximum size for a partition that will be easy on the file
system and the drive, itself?

I'd recommend LVM:

Actually, I am currently using LVM and I meant to say so in my post, but
somewhere between my brain and my fingertips it got lost.

Marc

Archive: 4E82779E.8000904@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E82779E.8000904@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Marc Shapiro

I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system like ext4 for
this size of drive.
E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.

Other than fsck running faster, what are the advantages of ext4 over ext3?

Marc

Archive: 4E8277F0.7070704@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E8277F0.7070704@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Marc Shapiro

I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system like
ext4 for
this size of drive.
E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.

Yes, but not if you are still on Lenny .... I have a Lenny box that was
quite happy to create an ext4 file system, but it wouldn't mount due to
the file system not being properly supported So, I simply
reverted back to ext3. But Squeeze is no problem.

Now that I have the space, I will almost certainly install Squeeze,
since I can do so while not messing with my current install. That way I
will have a guaranteed fallback if something does not work properly.

Marc

Archive: 4E8278E1.7070703@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E8278E1.7070703@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Marc Shapiro

I have a disk with the same space and i use lvm dividing it in several
partitions and a 300 gb free space block if any of the partitions need
more space. It's very practical and dependable. And the filesystem is
ext4 for all of them.

Are you recommending a single, large PV with multiple LVs, or several
smaller PVs to make up the LV group?

Marc