Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Default Partitioning my new 1TB drive

Marc Shapiro wrote, on 09/28/11 03:27:
<snip>
> Other than fsck running faster, what are the advantages of ext4 over ext3?
>
> Marc

See, e.g., http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4 and
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ext4 .
For me it was especially its support for the discard/TRIM command for SSDs.
There is also the ext4 wiki, http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org , but it is not
available due to the maintance down of kernel.org.
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> On 09/26/11 12:24, Nicolas wrote:
> > I have a disk with the same space and i use lvm dividing it in
> > several partitions and a 300 gb free space block if any of the
> > partitions need more space. It's very practical and dependable. And
> > the filesystem is ext4 for all of them.
>
> Are you recommending a single, large PV with multiple LVs, or several
> smaller PVs to make up the LV group?

I never used more than one PV on a single harddisk unless I decided to add
a partition that I used for other stuff later on.

I recommend partitioning the drive nonetheless even when its possible to
put LVM directly on the complete harddisk. For booting I recommend an
extra /boot partition anyway. ext3 for GRUB 1, may be ext4 for GRUB 2.
While GRUB 2 should support LVM2 directly, I decided not to depend on that
support.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> On 09/25/11 23:35, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system
> > like ext4 for this size of drive.
> > E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.
>
> Other than fsck running faster, what are the advantages of ext4 over
> ext3?

Big files are faster cause Ext4 uses extents instead of bitmap blocks. For
more information see the links Jörg-Volker posted.

In recent kernels Ext4 should have gotten close to XFS performance wise
even on large machines. For a desktop or laptop I recommend Ext4 anyway
unless BTRFS gets an fsck and leaves experimental status. I use BTRFS on /
already even on my main laptop, but /home for it is still Ext4.