Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Partitioning my new 1TB drive

Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by Linux,
I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous thread, my
current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to keep it as
the boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra storage. Since
I don't do regular backups (I already know what you will say about that)
I am also wondering what I might be able to do, now that I have space,
for a little added security in that matter. Perhaps I could just copy
the 40GB boot drive to a backup directory tree and keep it updated with
rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?

My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have never
had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically possible
to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is probably not
a practical way to do it (and I will want several different partitions,
anyway). If I am using ext3 partitions with neither vast numbers of
tiny files, nor small numbers of monstrously large files, what is a
reasonable maximum size for a partition that will be easy on the file
system and the drive, itself?

--
Marc

Archive: 4E7FE141.2090105@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7FE141.2090105@gmail.com

Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Rick Thomas

[...]

How you partition it depends on what you want to use the space for.
Tell us more about it and we can tell you what we'd do if we were in
your shoes.

As far as backups? I'd allocate some space -- maybe 500 GB, on the new
drive and use "rsnapshot" to back up the 40GB main disk.[*]

Then you have 500GB left over to put stuff you don't want to back up
(e.g. copies of CDs and DVDs that you think it's convenient to have
online, but that you can restore from the original if they get clobbered.)

Enjoy!

Rick
[*] see "http://www.rsnapshot.org/" for a description.
do "aptitude install rsnapshot" to install the Debian version.

Archive: 4E7FEB93.6080906@POBox.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7FEB93.6080906@POBox.com

Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 AM
David Christensen

Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by Linux,
I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous thread, my
current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to keep it as the
boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra storage. Since I
don't do regular backups (I already know what you will say about that) I
am also wondering what I might be able to do, now that I have space, for
a little added security in that matter. Perhaps I could just copy the
40GB boot drive to a backup directory tree and keep it updated with
rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?

Read "Backup & Recovery Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open Systems"
By W. Curtis Preston:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do

My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have never
had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically possible
to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is probably not
a practical way to do it (and I will want several different partitions,
anyway). If I am using ext3 partitions with neither vast numbers of tiny
files, nor small numbers of monstrously large files, what is a
reasonable maximum size for a partition that will be easy on the file
system and the drive, itself?

I'd recommend LVM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29

HTH,