Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Camaleón

Default (Results) Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:22:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> Any trick?

Yes, I got many useful tricks, a big thanks to all.

Okay, let's get the numbers.

I followed Sven and Stephen's advice so I:

- Used "make localmodconfig" to generate the ".config" file
- Appended "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2" to "make-kpkg"
- Added CONFIG_MATOM=y (just in case...)
- Removed the aforementioned "CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST", "CONFIG_LGUEST" and
"CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS" options from the ".config" file

This compilation round started at 18:56 and when I came back (at 21:05)
the process was already finished...

Wow, I didn't expect that.

So what time it took? I should have used "time" to monitor the proccess
(my bad) but the generated ".deb" file says it was last changed and
modified at 20:07.

If that's true (which results in ~1 hour of compilation time) I can
consider myself very much fortunate :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:22:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> Okay, let's get the numbers.
>
> I followed Sven and Stephen's advice so I:
>
> - Used "make localmodconfig" to generate the ".config" file
> - Appended "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2" to "make-kpkg"
> - Added CONFIG_MATOM=y (just in case...)
> - Removed the aforementioned "CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST", "CONFIG_LGUEST" and
> "CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS" options from the ".config" file
>
> This compilation round started at 18:56 and when I came back (at 21:05)
> the process was already finished...
>
> So what time it took? I should have used "time" to monitor the proccess
> (my bad) but the generated ".deb" file says it was last changed and
> modified at 20:07.

If I were you, I'd use "make menuconfig" to set/unset the values that
you set manually. You can find them with "/MATOM" (for "CONFIG_MATOM")
with the menuconfig screen.

If you'd like to find out what's probably the fastest that you can
compile a kernel on your netbook "make defconfig" will give you a
pretty small (and almost certainly useless for your purposes) kernel
config.