Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Anyone using xmonad + vim on sid?

If I start gvim in a tiled terminal window it locks up and the following
messages appear in the terminal:

E852: The child process failed to start the GUI
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has
not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
gvim: ../../src/xcb_io.c:273: poll_for_event: Assertion
`!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
Vim: Caught deadly signal ABRT
Press ENTER or type command to continueVim: Finished.
at least one person says he cannot reproduce the error. I've reported it
as a Debian bug but so far have only had a routine acknowledgement.

If there is anyone else using this setup, could they please see if they
can reproduce it?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Jochen Spieker

Anthony Campbell:

> If there is anyone else using this setup, could they please see if they
> can reproduce it?

I can only say that I don't have any problems running (g)vim while using
awesome.

J.
--
I no longer believe in father christmas but have no trouble
comprehending a nuclear apocalypse.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 25 Sep 2011, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Anthony Campbell:
> >
> > If there is anyone else using this setup, could they please see if they
> > can reproduce it?
>
> I can only say that I don't have any problems running (g)vim while using
> awesome.

That's interesting: I just tried awesome and I couldn't run gvim from a
terminal at all; it came up blank. But I think the problem I've been
getting with xmonad may not be real, or at least not serious. The same
thing happens in dwm, and it seems that the messages that appear are
due to closing gvim. I can edit and save files without anything going
wrong. So gvim from a tiled terminal is usable, just a bit ugly when it
is closed.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Sirius

I can reproduce this with another (tiling) windowmanager:
Debian Sid (upgraded today) with wmii. It works as long as I keep the window on
the screen where I started gvim. When I move it to my second screen it freezes,
resulting in the error you quoted on the terminal.