Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Alexander Petrov

Default nfs-common failure

Hi all,
I have lenny with custom kernel running on old*Intel celeron*macine. I wanted to start NFS server and installed nfs-kernel-server. The installation completed ok but the server fails to start. The message in syslog is 'rpc.statd[2400]: unable to register (statd,1,udp) . I found some information about a bug in nfs-common that results in this kind of failure but the posts were from 2008 and the bug should have been fixed by now. Any ideas?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:49:36 +0300, Alexander Petrov wrote:

> Hi all,

Please, no html formatted messages :-)

> I have lenny with custom kernel running on old Intel celeron macine. I
> wanted to start NFS server and installed nfs-kernel-server. The
> installation completed ok but the server fails to start. The message in
> syslog is 'rpc.statd[2400]: unable to register (statd,1,udp) . I found
> some information about a bug in nfs-common that results in this kind of
> failure but the posts were from 2008 and the bug should have been fixed
> by now. Any ideas?

You mean this bug?

nfs-common: rpc.statd is unable to register itself with portmap

A quick read of the report seems to indicate that there are some
workarounds there, have you tried with any of them?

Anyway, it's tagged as "fixed" for version "1.2.1-1.1":

Remember that you can also make use of the backports repo...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Bob Proulx

Alexander Petrov wrote:
> I have lenny with custom kernel running on old Intel celeron
> macine. I wanted to start NFS server and installed
> nfs-kernel-server. The installation completed ok but the server
> fails to start. The message in syslog is 'rpc.statd[2400]: unable to
> register (statd,1,udp) . I found some information about a bug in
> nfs-common that results in this kind of failure but the posts were
> from 2008 and the bug should have been fixed by now. Any ideas?

Just in case... Are you using a newer than Lenny Linux kernel? If so
then you will hit the problem of the init scripts not detecting
nfs support correctly. The init script fails to start if you are
using a newer than Lenny kernel because the kernel interface changed.

That is very easy to trip into by installing a backported kernel onto
Lenny. Everything should be resolved okay in Squeeze.

This is unlikely to be your problem but it is very easy to hit and
seems like good information to be attached to this question.

Bob

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Alexander Petrov

No I'm using 2.6.26 kernel.
As to the bug report it mentioned version 1:1.2.1-1 of nfs-common. The version on my machine is 1:1.1.2-6I .So the workaround 'Rolling back to version 1:1.2.0-4.1' could not be applied.