Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default New SATA drive installation question (SOLVED)

On 09/24/11 20:48, Marc Shapiro wrote:

I'm feeling really dumb right now. Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking
the information that I need at this time.

I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box
with FVWM as my window manager. This is the first time that I have
installed a SATA drive. How do I determine what drive name to use to
repartition and reformat the drive. With an IDE drive I can tell what it
is from its position on the cable. That doesn't work with SATA.

I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through
/dev/disk/ and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me.
I also didn't have anything jump out at me from dmesg.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be
looking for?

Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?

Obviously, I needed to answer my own question. Yes! I did need to
activate SATA in the BIOS. As soon as I did so 'ls /dev/disk/by-id'
clearly showed the drive as being /dev/sda. I then did 'fdisk /dev/sda'
which showed that it does not come pre-partitioned. This is, of course,
not a problem, since I would have wiped out the FAT, or NTFS partition
and replaced it with ext-3 partitions, anyway.

Marc

Archive: 4E7EBD54.7020505@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7EBD54.7020505@gmail.com

Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:34:12 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> On 09/24/11 20:48, Marc Shapiro wrote:

(...)

>> Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?
>
> Obviously, I needed to answer my own question. Yes! I did need to
> activate SATA in the BIOS.

(...)

It's not very common for a motherboard with sata ports to have them
disabled :-?

> As soon as I did so 'ls /dev/disk/by-id' clearly showed the drive as
> being /dev/sda. I then did 'fdisk /dev/sda' which showed that it does
> not come pre-partitioned. This is, of course, not a problem, since I
> would have wiped out the FAT, or NTFS partition and replaced it with
> ext-3 partitions, anyway.

No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
formatted from factory :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 25 September 2011 14:36:57 Camaleón wrote:
> No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
> formatted from factory :-)

Unless it's external. Then it will be clogged up with Windows stuff that it
will relinquish only very, very reluctantly. I still haven't got my latest
buy functioning properly: it almost is, but insists that it is read
only. %^*Ł". In despair I set the permissions at 777 and is _still_ insists
that it is read only. :-( (Nothing on it is even vaguely confidential or
personal.) Though it will write distros but not md5sums.

Lisi

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:24:30 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 25 September 2011 14:36:57 Camaleón wrote:
>> No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
>> formatted from factory :-)
>
> Unless it's external.

Barracuda disks are not usually external. Seagate uses fancy names for
external disks such as GoFlex, BlackArmour, RedColibri, BuyThis and so
on... :-D

> Then it will be clogged up with Windows stuff that it will relinquish
> only very, very reluctantly. I still haven't got my latest buy
> functioning properly: it almost is, but insists that it is read only.
> %^*Ł". In despair I set the permissions at 777 and is _still_ insists
> that it is read only. :-( (Nothing on it is even vaguely confidential
> or personal.) Though it will write distros but not md5sums.

I never buy those pre-boxed disks... I prefer to get an external USB/
Firewire case and put an internal disk on it, they're far better and
easily to upgrade than the others ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Curt

On 2011-09-25, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:24:30 +0100, Lisi wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 25 September 2011 14:36:57 Camaleón wrote:
>>> No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
>>> formatted from factory :-)
>>
>> Unless it's external.
>
> Barracuda disks are not usually external. Seagate uses fancy names for

But you said "No new modern hard disk will come partitioned" and Lisi
was replying directly to that (unqualified) statement.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:11:38 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2011-09-25, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Unless it's external.
>>
>> Barracuda disks are not usually external. Seagate uses fancy names for
>
> But you said "No new modern hard disk will come partitioned" and Lisi
> was replying directly to that (unqualified) statement.

The "unqualified" statement was placed in a context (Barracuda and BIOS
tweaking) so of course we were talking on internal disks (not PCI-e SSD,
not USB flash based keys, not SD cards, etc...).

I try to keep the target, sir.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 25 September 2011 16:49:35 Camaleón wrote:
> I never buy those pre-boxed disks... I prefer to get an external USB/
> Firewire case and put an internal disk on it, they're far better and
> easily to upgrade than the others ;-)

After this battle, I think that I shall remember that! Thanks, Camaleón.
That is very useful advice/information!!

Lisi

Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 25 September 2011 17:25:16 Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:11:38 +0000, Curt wrote:

> >> Barracuda disks are not usually external. Seagate uses fancy names for
> >
> > But you said "No new modern hard disk will come partitioned" and Lisi
> > was replying directly to that (unqualified) statement.
>
> The "unqualified" statement was placed in a context (Barracuda and BIOS
> tweaking) so of course we were talking on internal disks (not PCI-e SSD,
> not USB flash based keys, not SD cards, etc...).

None the less, Curt is correct. I was reacting solely to the unqualified
statement. You can - and apparently do ;-) - reply that I ought not to have
done so. But I did.

Lisi

Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:30:24 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 25 September 2011 17:25:16 Camaleón wrote:

>> > But you said "No new modern hard disk will come partitioned" and Lisi
>> > was replying directly to that (unqualified) statement.
>>
>> The "unqualified" statement was placed in a context (Barracuda and BIOS
>> tweaking) so of course we were talking on internal disks (not PCI-e
>> SSD, not USB flash based keys, not SD cards, etc...).
>
> None the less, Curt is correct. I was reacting solely to the
> unqualified statement. You can - and apparently do ;-) - reply that I
> ought not to have done so. But I did.

It seems to me that you replied to more than that statement as we were
not talking about external hard disks at all. You can, however, open a
new thread for the problem you were facing with your own disk :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 AM