-   -   New SATA drive installation question (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/579790-new-sata-drive-installation-question.html)

Marc Shapiro 09-25-2011 03:48 AM

New SATA drive installation question

I'm feeling really dumb right now. Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking
the information that I need at this time.

I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box
with FVWM as my window manager. This is the first time that I have
installed a SATA drive. How do I determine what drive name to use to
repartition and reformat the drive. With an IDE drive I can tell what
it is from its position on the cable. That doesn't work with SATA.

I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through
/dev/disk/ and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me.
I also didn't have anything jump out at me from dmesg.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be
looking for?

Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?

All help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro

Archive: 4E7EA485.5050506@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7EA485.5050506@gmail.com

francis picabia 09-26-2011 02:17 PM

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm feeling really dumb right now. *Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking the
> information that I need at this time.
>
> I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box with
> FVWM as my window manager. *This is the first time that I have installed a
> SATA drive. *How do I determine what drive name to use to repartition and
> reformat the drive. *With an IDE drive I can tell what it is from its
> position on the cable. *That doesn't work with SATA.
>
> I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through /dev/disk/
> and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me. *I also didn't
> have anything jump out at me from dmesg.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be looking
> for?
>
> Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?
>
> All help appreciated.

Usually the new drive is different than your older drive. If so, you
can identify
it through fdisk -l to list all your drives. Check the size and it
will usually indicate
what it is. Otherwise if the size of two drives are the same, you can
install or use smartctl to see the drive model info. smartctl -i /dev/sda
will show a bunch of data on the drive including the model number and
serial number. Match to what is printed on the hard drive sticker
and you will know what is what.

If nothing new pops up in fdisk -l, you can tell from that your drive is
not enabled. Check your BIOS settings to see if the SATA channels
are enabled, etc.

francis picabia 09-26-2011 02:19 PM

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm feeling really dumb right now. *Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking the
>> information that I need at this time.
>>
>> I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box with
>> FVWM as my window manager. *This is the first time that I have installed a
>> SATA drive. *How do I determine what drive name to use to repartition and
>> reformat the drive. *With an IDE drive I can tell what it is from its
>> position on the cable. *That doesn't work with SATA.
>>
>> I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through /dev/disk/
>> and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me. *I also didn't
>> have anything jump out at me from dmesg.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be looking
>> for?
>>
>> Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?
>>
>> All help appreciated.
>>

> Usually the new drive is different than your older drive. *If so, you
> can identify
> it through fdisk -l to list all your drives. *Check the size and it
> will usually indicate
> what it is. * Otherwise if the size of two drives are the same, you can
> install or use smartctl to see the drive model info. *smartctl -i /dev/sda
> will show a bunch of data on the drive including the model number and
> serial number. *Match to what is printed on the hard drive sticker
> and you will know what is what.
>
> If nothing new pops up in fdisk -l, you can tell from that your drive is
> not enabled. *Check your BIOS settings to see if the SATA channels
> are enabled, etc.

And... two minutes later I realize this was answered in a new thread.
Oh well, the info might help someone in the future.