Old 09-25-2011, 03:40 AM
"Russell L. Harris"

Default create mountable image of installation dvds

I purchased a Bible concordance program for the i386, and received the
program on a set of DVDs. The problem is that I need to install the
program on a laptop which has no optical drive, but only USB ports.

So it appears to me that I need to find:

(1) a procedure for creating a set of DVD images (using a desktop
machine with a DVD optical drive), and

(2) a procedure for copying the images to a set of USB flash
sticks, so that the images can be read as if they were on DVD.

RLH

Old 09-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

On 09/25/2011 12:40 AM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I purchased a Bible concordance program for the i386, and received the
> program on a set of DVDs. The problem is that I need to install the
> program on a laptop which has no optical drive, but only USB ports.
>
> So it appears to me that I need to find:
>
> (1) a procedure for creating a set of DVD images (using a desktop
> machine with a DVD optical drive), and
>
> (2) a procedure for copying the images to a set of USB flash
> sticks, so that the images can be read as if they were on DVD.

Most likely, if you simply copy the files to the flash drive and run the
install from there it'll work. While some Windows programs may try to
block that (especially games), Linux generally does not impose such
silly (and easily bypassable) restrictions.

--
Sailors in ships, sail on! Even while we died, others rode out the storm.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 09-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/09/11 13:40, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I purchased a Bible concordance program for the i386, and received the
> program on a set of DVDs. The problem is that I need to install the
> program on a laptop which has no optical drive, but only USB ports.
>
> So it appears to me that I need to find:
>
> (1) a procedure for creating a set of DVD images (using a desktop
> machine with a DVD optical drive), and

dd is the CLI procedure.
eg.:-
Find out where CD/DVD mounts and device name by inserting CD

root@work:/home/scott# mount | grep cdrom
/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=scott)

Unmounting CD/DVD so it can be imaged (you can just eject it).

root@work:/home/scott# umount /media/cdrom0

Image it.

root@work:/home/scott# dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/home/scott/dvd00.iso
1227520+0 records in
1227520+0 records out
628490240 bytes (628 MB) copied, 77.6551 s, 8.1 MB/s
root@work:/home/scott# ls -lh /home/scott | grep .iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 600M Sep 26 12:53 dvd00.iso

> (2) a procedure for copying the images to a set of USB flash
> sticks, so that the images can be read as if they were on DVD.

Just "copy" the .ISO files using a file manager or "cp".

Then, "mount" the images on the machine you want to use them:-

root@work:/home/scott# mount -o loop,ro /path_to/images/dvd00.iso
/media/cdrom0

Then run your program - it will now "see" a "mounted" CD/DVD where you
have neither a (hardware) CD/DVD device or a physical CD/DVD.

> RLH

I'd also suggest you take a look at BibleTime - which does what your
program does, and much, much more. Choose from many Bibles,
commentaries, guides, etc.

Cheers