-   -   iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/579748-iceweasel-based-firefox-6-0-squeeze.html)

Peter Tenenbaum 09-25-2011 12:04 AM

iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

I would like to migrate to firefox 6.0, but I'd like to do it using the debian iceweasel distribution.* Can anyone tell me how to go about setting that up?

Thanks in advance,
-PT

Rob Hurle 09-25-2011 01:02 AM

iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

Dear Peter,

On 25 September 2011 10:04, Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to migrate to firefox 6.0, but I'd like to do it using the
> debian iceweasel distribution.* Can anyone tell me how to go about setting
> that up?

Try the following:

http://mozilla.debian.net/

I used it and found it very helpful.

Cheers,
Rob Hurle
--
-----------------------------
Rob Hurle

Camaleón 09-25-2011 01:45 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:02:34 +1000, Rob Hurle wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> On 25 September 2011 10:04, Peter Tenenbaum
> <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to migrate to firefox 6.0, but I'd like to do it using the
>> debian iceweasel distribution.* Can anyone tell me how to go about
>> setting that up?
>
> Try the following:
>
> http://mozilla.debian.net/
>
> I used it and found it very helpful.

I've always wondered why Mozilla products are not integrated into
"squeeze-updates" (the old "volatile" repo), it seems to fit perfectly
there :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 09-25-2011 02:56 PM

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:02:34 +1000, Rob Hurle wrote:

> Dear Peter,

> On 25 September 2011 10:04, Peter Tenenbaum

> <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would like to migrate to firefox 6.0, but I'd like to do it using the

>> debian iceweasel distribution.* Can anyone tell me how to go about

>> setting that up?

> Try the following:

> http://mozilla.debian.net/

I added the

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/:

during updating, it showed me:

W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

*

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.25.13.45.42@gmail.com

--
Best Regards,

lina

Sven Hoexter 09-25-2011 03:03 PM

iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 01:45:42PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

Hi,

> I've always wondered why Mozilla products are not integrated into
> "squeeze-updates" (the old "volatile" repo), it seems to fit perfectly
> there :-?

As far as I remember in the past new Firefox/Iceweasel releases did
not always build on all architectures Debian released with and/or
required a newer gtk release. That makes it impossible to integrate
such a package into the next point release, and that is where the
packages from squeeze-updates should end up.

So a backports repository is a much better place to keep them.

Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Brian 09-25-2011 03:13 PM

On Sun 25 Sep 2011 at 13:45:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I've always wondered why Mozilla products are not integrated into
> "squeeze-updates" (the old "volatile" repo), it seems to fit perfectly
> there :-?

Not quite the perfect fit for inclusion as you might think:

This suite will contain updates that satisfy one of the following criteria:

* The update is urgent and not of a security nature. Security updates
will continue to be pushed through the security archive. Examples
include packages broken by the flow of time (c.f. spamassassin and
the year 2010 problem) and fixes for bugs introduced by point
releases.
* The package in question is a data package and the data must be updated
in a timely manner (e.g. tzdata).
* Fixes to leaf packages that were broken by external changes (e.g.
video downloading tools and tor).
* Packages that need to be current to be useful (e.g. clamav).

Brian 09-25-2011 03:16 PM

Did you download the key? Instructions are on http://mozilla.debian.net/.

Brad Rogers 09-25-2011 03:30 PM

iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:56:21 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello lina,

> W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The
> following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
> available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

Add the key: There's a series of instructions on the web site.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Camaleón 09-25-2011 03:44 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:13:26 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 25 Sep 2011 at 13:45:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I've always wondered why Mozilla products are not integrated into
>> "squeeze-updates" (the old "volatile" repo), it seems to fit perfectly
>> there :-?
>
> Not quite the perfect fit for inclusion as you might think:
>
> This suite will contain updates that satisfy one of the following
> criteria:
>
> * The update is urgent and not of a security nature. Security
> updates
> will continue to be pushed through the security archive. Examples
> include packages broken by the flow of time (c.f. spamassassin and
> the year 2010 problem) and fixes for bugs introduced by point
> releases.
> * The package in question is a data package and the data must be
> updated
> in a timely manner (e.g. tzdata).
> * Fixes to leaf packages that were broken by external changes (e.g.
> video downloading tools and tor).
> * Packages that need to be current to be useful (e.g. clamav).

Yes, I already read that announcement message and that's why I find it
very appropriate, specially for points 1) and 4).

A very different thing is the limitation Sven has pointed out: if the
packages are not able to be compiled for all of the architectures and
"squeeze-updates" packages are going to be part of the "point" releases
then it makes more sense to keep these packages out of that tree.

P.S. I'm runnig a 64-bits lenny -yes, still- and had to get the upstream
mozilla packages because they are not updated anymore in Debian (fair)
but I had no incompatibility issues despite I'm running very old versions
of gtk and other libraries that Firefox needs and true is that I expected
complaints at install time... hopefully there were none.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 09-25-2011 03:53 PM

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Sun 25 Sep 2011 at 22:56:21 +0800, lina wrote:

> I added the

> deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

> to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/:

> during updating, it showed me:

> W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The

> following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not

> available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

Did you download the key? Instructions are on http://mozilla.debian.net/.

I forget to finish reading the whole page before. Now I understand.

but nicely weird, unconsciously during updating wheezy, nothing specific I have done, the iceweasel has already walked to version 6.

Thanks.