Old 09-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Boot loader installation failed.

Since I'm not using Apple, I googled and it seems to be possible to use
GRUB, http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/

Hth,

Ralf

Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Hartwig Atrops

Hi.

On Saturday 24 September 2011 18:11:33 Eneko Gotzon Ares wrote:
> I'm a humble Mac user trying to start using Debian (Squeeze) on a 2.1
> GHz PowerPC G5.

I did a Squeeze installation on my PowerMac G5 some weeks ago - no problem.
Yaboot works fine - I have a dual boot installation Squeeze / Mac OS X using
yaboot here on my machine.

> The processor is a PowerPC 970fx "G5" with 64-bit data paths and
> registers, with native support for 32-bit application code.
>
> I have download powerpc netinst image and run install64 command.

I used the debian-6.0.1a-powerpc-CD1, not the netinstall one.

> The installation progress well until the yaboot boot loader (last step
> before finish): it always fails at its 83% progression rate. I have
> unsuccessfully tried all options proposed by the installer.
>
> There is advice about installing the Debian Lenny's yaboot intead.
> What you think?
> Any help will welcome.

You may try to ask on the debian powerpc mailing list as well:

debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org

> Thank you very much.
> --
> Eneko Gotzon Ares