Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Tom H

Default Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact, I already have a set of tools installed (along with "fakeroot",
> that "kernel-package") because I'm following Debian Installation Guide
> instructions:
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch08s06.html

There's also the kernel handbook:
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:53:59 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If you decide to try kernel-package, make sure that you apply the patch
>> file listed in the web page. It won't work properly with a version 3
>> kernel unless you do.
>
> Hum... you mean the one for EDID? I've compiled 3 kernels just fine and
> had to do nothing special :-?

No, I mean ...

-----

If you are using kernel-package version 12.036+nmu1 with a Linux version 3
kernel source package, there is a patch you will need to apply, especially
if CONFIG_LGUEST is set in the kernel config file or you need to build doc
or headers packages. The patch is available here. To apply the patch,
issue the following sequence of commands:

cd /usr/share/kernel-package
... (download the patch file to the current directory)
patch -p1 <linuxv3.diff

This is an unofficial patch: it is not provided by or endorsed by the
upstream author or the Debian package maintainer.

-----

Follow the link on the word "here" in the above text in my web page.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:30:36 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:53:59 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> If you decide to try kernel-package, make sure that you apply the
>>> patch file listed in the web page. It won't work properly with a
>>> version 3 kernel unless you do.
>>
>> Hum... you mean the one for EDID? I've compiled 3 kernels just fine and
>> had to do nothing special :-?
>
> No, I mean ...
>
> -----
>
> If you are using kernel-package version 12.036+nmu1 with a Linux version
> 3 kernel source package, there is a patch you will need to apply,
> especially if CONFIG_LGUEST is set in the kernel config file or you need
> to build doc or headers packages. The patch is available here. To
> apply the patch, issue the following sequence of commands:
>
> cd /usr/share/kernel-package
> ... (download the patch file to the current directory) patch -p1
> <linuxv3.diff
>
> This is an unofficial patch: it is not provided by or endorsed by the
> upstream author or the Debian package maintainer.
>
> -----
>
> Follow the link on the word "here" in the above text in my web page.

Ah, "that" (the missing documentation folder). Yes, that's something I
noticed too late the first time I run the compilation, it stopped at the
middle of the task but googling around a bit I could discover the cause.
In brief:

CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST=n
CONFIG_LGUEST=n
CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS=n

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:25:19 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In fact, I already have a set of tools installed (along with
>> "fakeroot", that "kernel-package") because I'm following Debian
>> Installation Guide instructions:
>>
>> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch08s06.html
>
> There's also the kernel handbook:
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

It seems there is more than one "oficial" version on "how to bake a
cake" (something that's very common in the FLOSS world) so I applied the
first I found which by the way, it worked fine.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Brian

On Sun 25 Sep 2011 at 08:21:17 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

[Snipped: Some advantages of using kernel-package]

> But, to each his own. Whatever floats your boat, man.

Indeed, but the deck is stacked against kernel-package when it is
associated with 'deprecated' in the minds of users. It may not suit the
Kernel Team for their use but I've happily and successfully compiled
kernels with it for many years without it giving me any problems.

Kernel-package was promoted as the Debian way when I first came into
contact with it and its creator was active in debian-user with advice.
If there is a proper or official Debian position on compiling a kernel
it could be inferred from this civilised discussion at:

Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 16:15:51 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 9/24/2011 9:22 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I don't need nothing special, just to be able to boot the system, test
>> the staging drivers and then remove/compile a new kernel again so
>> wasting the less time in the process would be great :-)
>>
>> Any trick?
>
> 5 hours? Did you say 5 hours?

Yes Stan, I said five hours.

> I have a 10 year old dual Mendocino 550 machine with only 384MB of PC100
> that takes about 30 minutes to compile my custom kernels using make -j2.

Marvellous.

> I'd guess you're including the kitchen sink. Don't build the hundreds
> of driver modules your machines won't ever use. That is the key to
> reducing build time.

Fair enough, but I wonder "what" to include in the recipe. If I put too
much salt or leave the oven for many hours at the maximun temperature
I'll get a "pastiche" nobody will be able to eat...

So I'm afraid I'll wait for your super-customized ".config" file to use
it in my netbook, feel free to send it to my inbox when it's ready >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
David Witbrodt

He cannot. Everyone needs a different '.config' if they are trying to
customize for their own personal hardware.

My own experience with this involved spending an entire day in January
2010 tracking down which options I could disable. I also changed most
'M' options to 'Y' so that drivers would be built directly into the
kernel instead of as a separate loadable module. (My goal was to
produce a kernel that boots without an initrd; most people will not
share that goal.) Sven Joachim's suggestion to create a new '.config'
using 'make localmonconfig' should mostly have the desired effect, the
result could then be fine-tuned. If that option had existed when I
was learning about this, it would have saved me many, many hours!

Good luck!
Dave W.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Stan Hoeppner