Old 09-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Camaleón

Default Reducing kernel compilation time

Hello,

I had to compile the latest upstream kernel sources to make some
debugging with my wifi drivers (from staging) and discovered that
compilation took ~5 hours.

That's much for testing purposes.

Compilation takes place in a netbook governed by Intel's Atom N455 with 2
GiB of RAM and I would like to reduce the compilation time.

I'm using the same ".config" file I have for the current Debian stock
kernel (to avoid missing some modules I may need) and just added
"CONFIG_MATOM=y" but it takes almost the same time.

I don't need nothing special, just to be able to boot the system, test
the staging drivers and then remove/compile a new kernel again so wasting
the less time in the process would be great :-)

Any trick?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Mathieu Malaterre

I would build only the relevant kernel *module*, I want to play with
(or imported from linux-next):

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

HTH

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had to compile the latest upstream kernel sources to make some
> debugging with my wifi drivers (from staging) and discovered that
> compilation took ~5 hours.
>
> That's much for testing purposes.
>
> Compilation takes place in a netbook governed by Intel's Atom N455 with 2
> GiB of RAM and I would like to reduce the compilation time.
>
> I'm using the same ".config" file I have for the current Debian stock
> kernel (to avoid missing some modules I may need) and just added
> "CONFIG_MATOM=y" but it takes almost the same time.
>
> I don't need nothing special, just to be able to boot the system, test
> the staging drivers and then remove/compile a new kernel again so wasting
> the less time in the process would be great :-)
>
> Any trick?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón