Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Mark Neidorff

Default owner group question

In backing up and restoring my filesystem while upgrading several times, I
realized that I might have duplicate files in my home directory. I used fdupes
and did find a bunch...that is not my question.

fdupes did find that there were many files that could not be accessed. When I
examined the files I found that the user/group from the old system did not
match the current system (some files have numeric user or group names which
worked fine on other systems but now don't match the current system.

I was going to do the following:

$ chown mark:mark -r ~/*

but before I did that, I thought that I would ask if there are any files in a
user's home directory that shouldn't have the user/group ownership of the
user. I don't want to break anything (like kde, etc) when I try to fix the
permissions.

thanks for any information,

Mark

Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:05:59 -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:

(...)

> I was going to do the following:
>
> $ chown mark:mark -r ~/*
>
> but before I did that, I thought that I would ask if there are any files
> in a user's home directory that shouldn't have the user/group ownership
> of the user. I don't want to break anything (like kde, etc) when I try
> to fix the permissions.

Hum... before doing such massive change with file perms, I would make a
full copy of your current user's home directory, just in case.

Let's see...

sm01@stt008:~$ find $HOME ! -group 1000 -print | wc -l
39

sm01@stt008:~$ find $HOME ! -user 1000 -print | wc -l
7

I have 39 files that do not belong to my user's group and 7 that are not
owned by it... but all of the files are created by me, I mean, they're
not system files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón