Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Joe

Default How to stop services from running in different init levels?

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:45:28 +0530
Harshad Joshi <firewalrus@gmail.com> wrote:

> i want to stop privoxy and tor to starting automatically in runlevel
> 2. please tell me the script location from where we can make
> modifications to respective files?
>
> i dont want to type /etc/init.d/privoxy stop each time i log into
> gnome desktop.
>
> is there any GUI tool for starting stopping these services?

Which GUI, what version?

In Gnome, it's System, Administration, Services, then right click on
the service and get Properties. Set your priority and Start or Stop
for each runlevel.

--
Joe

Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:45:28 +0530, Harshad Joshi wrote:

> i want to stop privoxy and tor to starting automatically in runlevel 2.
> please tell me the script location from where we can make modifications
> to respective files?

You should read how init scripts work and how to tweak them:

http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts

> i dont want to type /etc/init.d/privoxy stop each time i log into gnome
> desktop.

May I ask why you want to prevent running those daemons in GNOME?

> is there any GUI tool for starting stopping these services?

Yes, there are.

In addition to Joe'advice, I think BUM is also able to alter the start/
stop status of the running services.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/09/11 16:15, Harshad Joshi wrote:
> i want to stop privoxy and tor to starting automatically in runlevel 2.
> please tell me the script location from where we can make modifications
> to respective files?
>
> i dont want to type /etc/init.d/privoxy stop each time i log into gnome
> desktop.
>
> is there any GUI tool for starting stopping these services?
>
> --
> Harshad Joshi

In KDE the answer is torK - perhaps one of the GNOME fans could name the
GNOME equivalent (if one exists).

Alternatively disable start on boot following one of the recommendation
made by other posters, and create an icon or menu entry to start the
services on demand - the later is a trickier approach because amongst
other problems you need to make sure that once you start using tor -
*all* processes using the internet *must* use it, or make the process
pointless (eg. email, apt, iirc, etc)

Cheers

--
"But. Bill. Malls. Are. Good. Malls allow us to shop three-hundred and
sixty-five days of the year at seventy-two degrees. That must be good.