Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Partitions recovering on empty HDD. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/579464-partitions-recovering-empty-hdd.html)

Sthu Deus 09-24-2011 04:21 AM

Partitions recovering on empty HDD.
 
Good time of the day.

I've got my partitions lost on a disk that works through SATA-USB
controller - and think it is the culprit.

# fdisk /dev/sdb
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or
OSF disklabel Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier
0x4759c362. Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to
write them. After that, of course, the previous content won't be
recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
w(rite)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4759c362

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Command (m for help): q


I think to recover it w/ this algorithm:

. repartition it w/ the same numbers of start/end of partitions;

. try to recover the FSs using super block.

My question is is there a tool/way that can gather info from the disk
where are those start/end s of partitions - as I of course do not
remember its numbers? But I remember the first was about 4.1 GB (being
made w/ dd to put a bootable iso to it, here, I can try to calculate
the exact number from the iso size but I do not know what the formula
is: iso_bytes -> cylinder numbers) and another
- the rest of HDD.

Thanks for Your time.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4e7d5cad.0d73cd0a.09f6.ffff92b3@mx.google.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/4e7d5cad.0d73cd0a.09f6.ffff92b3@mx.google.com

Scott Ferguson 09-24-2011 05:07 AM

Partitions recovering on empty HDD.
 
On 24/09/11 14:21, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day.
>
> I've got my partitions lost on a disk that works through SATA-USB
> controller - and think it is the culprit.
>
> # fdisk /dev/sdb
> Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or
> OSF disklabel Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier
> 0x4759c362. Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to
> write them. After that, of course, the previous content won't be
> recoverable.
>
> Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
> w(rite)
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x4759c362
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>
> Command (m for help): q
>
>
> I think to recover it w/ this algorithm:
>
> . repartition it w/ the same numbers of start/end of partitions;
>
> . try to recover the FSs using super block.
>
> My question is is there a tool/way that can gather info from the disk
> where are those start/end s of partitions - as I of course do not
> remember its numbers? But I remember the first was about 4.1 GB (being
> made w/ dd to put a bootable iso to it, here, I can try to calculate
> the exact number from the iso size but I do not know what the formula
> is: iso_bytes -> cylinder numbers) and another
> - the rest of HDD.
>
> Thanks for Your time.
>
>
# apt-get install testdisk

testdisk will fix the problem for you - parted can (if needed) list your
superblocks and allow you to recover (do enable testdisk logging).

Cheers

--
"But. Bill. Malls. Are. Good. Malls allow us to shop three-hundred and
sixty-five days of the year at seventy-two degrees. That must be good.
We are happy consumers!"
— Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E7D6596.2040407@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7D6596.2040407@gmail.com

Sthu Deus 09-24-2011 12:22 PM

Partitions recovering on empty HDD.
 
Thank You for Your time and answer, Scott:

>> My question is is there a tool/way that can gather info from the disk
>> where are those start/end s of partitions - as I of course do not
>> remember its numbers? But I remember the first was about 4.1 GB
>> (being made w/ dd to put a bootable iso to it, here, I can try to
>> calculate the exact number from the iso size but I do not know what
>> the formula is: iso_bytes -> cylinder numbers) and another
>> - the rest of HDD.
>>
>> Thanks for Your time.
>>
>>
># apt-get install testdisk
>
>testdisk will fix the problem for you - parted can (if needed) list
>your superblocks and allow you to recover (do enable testdisk logging).

Actually, I did not interpret its output like that:

# testdisk /list /dev/sdb
TestDisk 6.11, Data Recovery Utility, April 2009
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org
Please wait...
Disk /dev/sdb - 80 GB / 74 GiB - CHS 9729 255 63, sector size=512

Disk /dev/sdb - 80 GB / 74 GiB - CHS 9729 255 63
Partition Start End Size in sectors
P ext2 0 0 1 9729 80 63 156301488


that gave me any glue or info. on partition table. It seems it is no
more that the fdisk had provided w/ its p command.

But that's not a problem any more - as I have calculated from other
data - how bit the first partition (of two) was therefore, I have made
them as it was so that FS check even did not start for the 2nd
partition - for it was clean.

But. I have a problem w/ the first onw for FS check would not operate
w/ it even w/ SB specified. And I believe it is because of the 1st
sector of the 1st partition - for fdisk does not allow me to set it as
1st, but 63rd at least in DOS mode or 2048 in non-DOS mode. And
believe, that dd did start filling the iso right w/ the first sector of
the first partition.

So, do You know how to force fdisk to locate 1st partition at the 1st
sector?

Thank You for Your time and anybody else, who participates in the
thread.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4e7dd56e.5120cc0a.3825.ffffd43d@mx.google.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/4e7dd56e.5120cc0a.3825.ffffd43d@mx.google.com

Artifex Maximus 09-24-2011 04:15 PM

Partitions recovering on empty HDD.
 
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I did not interpret its output like that:
>
> # testdisk /list /dev/sdb

Testdisk is simply amazing. Try to read this pages:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Data_Recovery_Examples

http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p21.html

Bye,
a


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAPkuXvEV_pYf=b9yebUSQpcpMLzD5ffY75kisQZMZDt-As8nrw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAPkuXvEV_pYf=b9yebUSQpcpMLzD5ffY75kisQZMZDt-As8nrw@mail.gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.