-   -   a quick Q: iceweasle add on (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/579320-quick-q-iceweasle-add.html)

Gilbert Sullivan 09-23-2011 06:00 PM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On 09/23/2011 01:00 PM, lina wrote:

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Gilbert Sullivan<whirlygig@comcast.net>wrote:

On 09/23/2011 12:23 PM, lina wrote:

Hi,

My iceweasle version is 5.

while for this add-on, it has not updated to 5 yet.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-**US/firefox/addon/1-click-**
youtube-video-download/<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1-click-youtube-video-download/>

any suggestion?

I used to have a good faith about this plugins,

but for half a year I did not meet any song wanted me to download from
Youtube. so barely forget it.
and today I met a damn good video, so wanted to download it.

Thanks for any suggestions,

You could just use apt-get or aptitude to install the youtube-dl package.
To use it you can just issue a command like

$ youtube-dl<address of YouTube video you want to download>

That will put the video in your home directory.

$ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related
[1] 18854
lina@debian:~/Desktop$ [youtube] Setting language
[youtube] dREKkAk628I: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] dREKkAk628I: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] dREKkAk628I: Extracting video information
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 2987, in<module>
retcode = fd.download(all_urls)
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 604, in download
ie.extract(url)
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 844, in extract
return self._real_extract(url)
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 1135, in _real_extract
'player_url': player_url,
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 571, in process_info
success = self._do_download(filename, info_dict['url'].encode('utf-8'),
info_dict.get('player_url', None))
File "/usr/bin/youtube-dl", line 775, in _do_download
stream.close()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

I tried the related URL, not work.

can you download it?

(haha... if you can, once you download, can you do me a favor, send the
video to me.
LOL ... sorry, for the beauty of the voice, hope I did not ask too much
here.
For 4 hours I am sitting here, there is no other sounds, except this one.
might be a bit crazy, my ears are addicted to it.)

Uh, no, I couldn't download it with either cclive or youtube-dl.

And that makes me happy.

;-)

heh-heh

Seriously, I'm not sure what's wrong with that one. I'm able to download
any other video that I try at will from YouTube. I'm guessing there
might be something wrong with that one -- other than the obvious.

I'm glad that you were able to find a plug-in for Iceweasel to do the
job for you.

Archive: 4E7CC930.3020104@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E7CC930.3020104@comcast.net

lina 09-23-2011 06:02 PM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On Sep 24, 2011, at 1:25, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:15:15 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's plenty of similar extensions:
>>>

>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?cat=all&q=YouTube+&y=6&x=22&lver=5.*
>>>

>>> Try with another? :-)
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> so what's your favoriate,
>
> Nooone, I hate extensions, they bloat my browser and Firefox is not a
> lightweight creature, BTW.
>
> When I want to download a flash video (a thing that happens every once in
> a year or less :-P) I only have to let the video plays and then go to the
> firefox cache, rename the file to "something.flv" and that's all.

This is a very smart way.

>> I will use your favoriate one, won't try one by one.
>
> There are extensions that provide different functionalites so you should
> test whichever best suits "your" needs, not "mine" ;-)
I was unforgivable lazy sometimes. Should have learned to be independent. Especially in thinking.

> Months ago I installed "Video Downloader Helper" on a secondary
> computer...
Seems we made a same choice.

Bob Proulx 09-23-2011 09:42 PM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

lina wrote:
> Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> > You could just use apt-get or aptitude to install the youtube-dl package.
> > To use it you can just issue a command like
> >
> > $ youtube-dl <address of YouTube video you want to download>
> >
> > That will put the video in your home directory.

I use youtube-dl all of the time. Works great. But as the youtube
site changes you need to keep the script updated. Since it is just a
script usually the latest one from Sid can be used on the old Stable
with no trouble. Works for me.

> $ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related
> [1] 18854

You almost always need to quote the URL. See that "&" in it? That
ampersand is special to the shell. It says to run the commandin the
background. URLs often have those. Therefore you often need to quote
the URL when used as a command line option argument.

Bob

Gilbert Sullivan 09-23-2011 10:37 PM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On 09/23/2011 05:42 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

lina wrote:

Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

You could just use apt-get or aptitude to install the youtube-dl package.
To use it you can just issue a command like

$ youtube-dl<address of YouTube video you want to download>

That will put the video in your home directory.

I use youtube-dl all of the time. Works great. But as the youtube
site changes you need to keep the script updated. Since it is just a
script usually the latest one from Sid can be used on the old Stable
with no trouble. Works for me.

$ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related
[1] 18854

You almost always need to quote the URL. See that "&" in it? That
ampersand is special to the shell. It says to run the commandin the
background. URLs often have those. Therefore you often need to quote
the URL when used as a command line option argument.

Bob

Yes, I'm glad you got back to lina on this. It's something I didn't
think to mention. I tried to answer her from work but the network
boundary stuff there took a direct lightning strike -- as in an actual
hole in the ceiling, floor, and two racks. Nice end to the week -- as in
no end to my week. Got to get a contractor in there and sort it out.

I always have youtube-dl and cclive installed. Sometimes the current one
in testing works when the other one doesn't. The iceweasel plug-ins tend
to annoy me, but I can't argue the ease of use issue. Most people are
going to be happier with them, I think.

Best regards,
Gilbert

Archive: 4E7D0A1B.60507@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E7D0A1B.60507@comcast.net

lina 09-24-2011 05:18 AM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

lina wrote:

> Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> > You could just use apt-get or aptitude to install the youtube-dl package.

> > To use it you can just issue a command like

> > $ youtube-dl <address of YouTube video you want to download>

> > That will put the video in your home directory.

I use youtube-dl all of the time. *Works great. *But as the youtube

site changes you need to keep the script updated. *Since it is just a

script usually the latest one from Sid can be used on the old Stable

with no trouble. *Works for me.

> *$ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related

> [1] 18854

You almost always need to quote the URL. *See that "&" in it? *That

ampersand is special to the shell. *It says to run the commandin the

background. *URLs often have those. *Therefore you often need to quote

the URL when used as a command line option argument.

Thanks.

p$ youtube-dl 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related'

[...]

is my laptop lack something? some module?
I tried the 'URL' and "URL"

*
Thanks,

Bob

--
Best Regards,

lina

Umarzuki Mochlis 09-25-2011 03:35 AM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

2011/9/24 lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com>

is my laptop lack something? some module?
I tried the 'URL' and "URL"

*
Thanks,

i had the same problem too, so i use keepvid.com for the mean time

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Celejar 09-25-2011 04:07 AM

a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:42:24 -0600
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> I use youtube-dl all of the time. Works great. But as the youtube
> site changes you need to keep the script updated. Since it is just a
> script usually the latest one from Sid can be used on the old Stable
> with no trouble. Works for me.
>
> > $ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related
> > [1] 18854
>
> You almost always need to quote the URL. See that "&" in it? That
> ampersand is special to the shell. It says to run the commandin the
> background. URLs often have those. Therefore you often need to quote
> the URL when used as a command line option argument.

Just deleting everything in the url after the v=xxxxxxxxxxx works, too.

Celejar