-   -   how stable is lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/579213-how-stable-lenny.html)

Camaleón 09-23-2011 01:56 PM

how stable is lenny

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:21:06 +0800, Long Wind wrote:

> sometime I can't shutdown lenny after using it for some time (I mean
> lenny doesn't respond to my key strokes) has anyone have similar
> experience?
> I install and run some no open source software as a no-root user it
> shouldn't cause problem

I'm running several boxes with lenny (gui and non-gui based
installations) and lenny is rock solid as the first day :-)

I would investigate why your system stops responding, maybe you can start
to find out by stablishing a session via ssh and see if that still works.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Long Wind 09-23-2011 02:00 PM

how stable is lenny

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Does the mouse still work? *If so you may simply have a KB going south. *If
> neither work it may by a problem coming out of hybernation. *If this happens
> *while* you are actively typing it could be a number of issues.
>
> When this happens, how are you getting around it? *Hard reset or power
> button? *Is this a laptop or desktop/minitower machine?
>
> --
> Stan

My PC is desktop PC.
I'm not sure if mouse work
I usually in graphics mode
when lenny doesn't respond to my key strokes
I press alt+F1 (to switch to tty)
but lenny remains in graphics mode
even pressing power button on PC case can't shutdown lenny
I have to unplug power cable to shutdown

I suspect the hard disk is failing
so I test with badblocks
but it takes too much time.

Long Wind 09-23-2011 02:06 PM

how stable is lenny

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running several boxes with lenny (gui and non-gui based
> installations) and lenny is rock solid as the first day :-)
>
> I would investigate why your system stops responding, maybe you can start
> to find out by stablishing a session via ssh and see if that still works.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>

> --

the problem doesn't always arise
I suspect hard disk is failing
If I can connect by ssh and shutdown lenny
then, the cause of the problem comes from where?

Camaleón 09-23-2011 02:17 PM

how stable is lenny

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:06:53 +0800, Long Wind wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running several boxes with lenny (gui and non-gui based
>> installations) and lenny is rock solid as the first day :-)
>>
>> I would investigate why your system stops responding, maybe you can
>> start to find out by stablishing a session via ssh and see if that
>> still works.
>>
> the problem doesn't always arise
> I suspect hard disk is failing

Then you can run "smartclt" (long test mode) to find out any problem with
your hard disks.

> If I can connect by ssh and shutdown lenny then, the cause of the
> problem comes from where?

If you can connect and manage the server from a remote machine that may
indicate an isolated problem not a system wide one:

1/ If you are running X server, that can mean xorg is freezed and so the
keyboard refuses to respond.

2/ If no X server running, that could mean you have a problem with the
keyboard or the port it is attached to (PS/2 or USB), try with another
one.

3/ In addition, you can check the logs when the system freezes to gather
furher information of the hang, run "top" to scan for any application
consuming several resources, etc...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Michael Fothergill 09-23-2011 02:24 PM

how stable is lenny

I am impressed with the username Long Wind......** I think it is an imaginative one.* Cheers

Michael Fothergill
*

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAB-gxZDn_0RqDq3ma+qH4M_5FNeVoXLiTT_ce9cS_nopNkYe-A@mail.gmail.com

Whit Hansell 09-23-2011 04:39 PM