Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Lisi

Default how stable is lenny

On Saturday 24 September 2011 00:01:52 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > >
> > > Lenny is extremely stable. But just the same you should upgrade to
> > > Squeeze. That is the current "best" release to use.
> >
> > Depends, surely, on his reason for using Lenny? The beauty of Linux
> > is that it is not a one-size-fits-all solution.
>
> True. But as the saying goes, no man is an island. I really thought
> Woody was an excellent release too. And Sarge was quite good too.
> But I miss 'xmms' and 'grip' now unsupported. But eventually we all
> need to move forward. And there is always the Heirloom Project for
> those who do not. :-)
>
> > > Not here. Lenny is very solid and reliable.
> >
> > Implies, surely, that you too are using Lenny??
>
> I am down to two last machines still running Lenny. There are
> security upgrades planned to be available for another twelve months.
> I have that long to work out how to make the upgrade for them.

But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny than in
Squeeze? Not impossible. "New improved" often means changed for the worse!

Lisi

Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/23/2011 9:00 AM, Long Wind wrote:

even pressing power button on PC case can't shutdown lenny
I have to unplug power cable to shutdown

ACPI BIOS normally forces you to hold the power button in for at least
3-5 seconds to power off a system when the CPU is running in protected
mode. Are you doing so? If yes, and it won't power down then I'd say
you may have a problem with the motherboard.

I suspect the hard disk is failing

A failing hard disk won't cause these symptoms.

--
Stan

Archive: 4E7DD277.7040809@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E7DD277.7040809@hardwarefreak.com

Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Curt

On 2011-09-24, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny than in
> Squeeze?

Then you use debian foreports.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 24 September 2011 15:12:59 Curt wrote:
> On 2011-09-24, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny than
> > in Squeeze?
>
> Then you use debian foreports.

Not everything will be available in foreports. And anyway, why is it so
terrible to use Lenny, if it fulfills the OP's needs? It is still supported.

Lisi

Old 09-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:39:57 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 24 September 2011 15:12:59 Curt wrote:
>> On 2011-09-24, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny
>> > than in Squeeze?
>>
>> Then you use debian foreports.
>
> Not everything will be available in foreports. And anyway, why is it so
> terrible to use Lenny, if it fulfills the OP's needs? It is still
> supported.

I must be a "terrible" person then as I only have lenny's installed in
all of my production systems :-)

Update is foreseen when wheezy is out.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Andrew McGlashan

But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny than in
Squeeze?

Then you use debian foreports.

How and where? Is it simply using a lenny stub [in apt source files] in
place of squeeze or stable?

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E7E03B1.4050107@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E7E03B1.4050107@affinityvision.com.au

Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 24 September 2011 17:22:09 Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Curt wrote:
> > On 2011-09-24, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> But say that e.g. the screen reading software is "better" in Lenny than
> >> in Squeeze?
> >
> > Then you use debian foreports.
>
> How and where? Is it simply using a lenny stub [in apt source files] in
> place of squeeze or stable?

I'm not quite sure which you are asking a question about, foreports or
repositories.

When I installed Lenny (in the days before the ark) I ensured that my sources
file had "Lenny" not "stable".

I haven't altered them since.

Lisi

Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Andrew McGlashan

Lisi wrote:

How and where? Is it simply using a lenny stub [in apt source files] in
place of squeeze or stable?

I'm not quite sure which you are asking a question about, foreports or
repositories.

When I installed Lenny (in the days before the ark) I ensured that my sources
file had "Lenny" not "stable".

Yes, it is not about your installation, but how to use "foreports" -- we
have backports, but I can't find a foreports repository so I am guessing
it is a case of having extra old stubs to use as foreports...

--

Archive: 4E7EB829.7030703@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E7EB829.7030703@affinityvision.com.au

Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Curt

On 2011-09-25, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Yes, it is not about your installation, but how to use "foreports" -- we
> have backports, but I can't find a foreports repository so I am guessing
> it is a case of having extra old stubs to use as foreports...

Sorry. I thought I was being funny and invented a "foreports" repository
that has no independent existence (that I know of) outside of my own
demented imagination.

Don't ask me what's funny about this invention, please, 'cause I don't
know.

But I suppose if it is possible to backport an application, it is
possible to foreport one, though it seems the demand for the latter
thing must be rather small because if it were bigger a foreports
repository would probably really exist. Most people want to go forward,
even if it's only an illusion.

I don't know what extra old stubs are, nor what you can do with them,
but it sounds interesting.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Walter Hurry

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:26:53 +0000, Curt wrote:

> I don't know what extra old stubs are, nor what you can do with them,
> but it sounds interesting.

They're short, but not too big around.