Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Long Wind

Default how much time do I need to run badblocks

I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks

badblocks -vws /dev/hdb

6 hours has passed and it's still running
I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
It have finished with 3 test patterns
It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not
I have read its manual and get no answer about my question

I'm still not sure if the disk is reliable

Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM

> I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks
>
> badblocks -vws /dev/hdb
>
> 6 hours has passed and it's still running
> I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
> It have finished with 3 test patterns
> It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not
> I have read its manual and get no answer about my question
>
> I'm still not sure if the disk is reliable

Please read and follow the advice on the man page and run badblocks from
e2fsck (using the -c option). This is a very low level program that takes
a lot of time. The time used is processor and drive dependant so 6 hours
may be a valid time frame even for a 60Gb drive.

Mark

Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Jochen Spieker

Long Wind:

> I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks
>
> badblocks -vws /dev/hdb
>
> 6 hours has passed and it's still running
> I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
> It have finished with 3 test patterns
> It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not

It would have told you if it had found any.

> I have read its manual and get no answer about my question

The question in your mail's subject? -The answer is: until it has
finished. That might take "some time". The output you get from using -s
should help to get an idea how long it takes.

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Lisi

On Friday 23 September 2011 13:07:54 Long Wind wrote:
> I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks
>
> badblocks -vws /dev/hdb
>
> 6 hours has passed and it's still running
> I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
> It have finished with 3 test patterns
> It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not
> I have read its manual and get no answer about my question
>
> I'm still not sure if the disk is reliable

You didn't let Badblocks finish! The longest it has taken when I have used it
was 13 hours - and this was a while ago, so probably a 40G HDD.

Let Badblocks finish, however long it takes, and if it still gives no error
message, ten all is well. It only reports if there _are_ errors, and not if
there are not.

Lisi

Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Arno Schuring

Long Wind (longwind2009@gmail.com on 2011-09-23 20:07 +0800):
> I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks
>
> badblocks -vws /dev/hdb
>
> 6 hours has passed and it's still running

That can happen. My last disk was a 2TB low-rpm disk. It took badblocks
over 50 hours to complete the check.

> I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
> It have finished with 3 test patterns
> It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not
badblocks will only output bad blocks. No output means that everything
is fine.

> I have read its manual and get no answer about my question
>
> I'm still not sure if the disk is reliable

I find smartmontools a better indicator of disk reliability than
badblocks.

Regards,
Arno

Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Long Wind

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> You didn't let Badblocks finish! *The longest it has taken when I have used it
> was 13 hours - and this was a while ago, so probably a 40G HDD.
>
> Let Badblocks finish, however long it takes, and if it still gives no error
> message, ten all is well. *It only reports if there _are_ errors, and not if
> there are not.
>
> Lisi

i have just found out
that it test 4 patterns
but the manual doesn't include such info
the running badblocks doesn't include them either
(even with -v option)
it seems to me that it will test forever
it really is testing 4th and last pattern
if i knew, i'd not press Ctrl+c