Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Getting a large file onto DVD

I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD.
Brasero warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd
standard for iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK.

It ejects the DVD saying an error has occurred.
Does anybody have a solution or suggestions ??

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4E7B79B6.5090907@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4E7B79B6.5090907@videotron.ca

Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:08:54 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD. Brasero
> warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd standard
> for iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK. It ejects the
> DVD saying an error has occurred. Does anybody have a solution or
> suggestions ??

One suggestion, yep :-)

Try to make an ISO image for the files you want to dump into the DVD and
burn the ISO instead. Regardless the results, read Brasero logs, maybe
you find something of interest in them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
francis picabia

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Frank McCormick
<debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> *I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD. Brasero
> warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd standard for
> iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK.
> It ejects the DVD saying an error has occurred.
> Does anybody have a solution or suggestions ??

I had a situation long ago where I couldn't burn large
video files. I might have been working on Windows
- but I recall UDF format solved the problem.

--francis

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Frank

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Frank McCormick
I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD. Brasero
warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd standard for
iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK.
It ejects the DVD saying an error has occurred.
Does anybody have a solution or suggestions ??

I had a situation long ago where I couldn't burn large
video files. I might have been working on Windows
- but I recall UDF format solved the problem.

--francis

You're right - UDF is the way to go, now if only somebody would
tell Brasero

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4E7CE315.8050703@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4E7CE315.8050703@videotron.ca

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Frank

I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD. Brasero
warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd standard
for iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK. It ejects the
DVD saying an error has occurred. Does anybody have a solution or
suggestions ??

One suggestion, yep :-)

Try to make an ISO image for the files you want to dump into the DVD and
burn the ISO instead. Regardless the results, read Brasero logs, maybe
you find something of interest in them.

I would try that but I don't have the file anymore...I burned it to a
DVD using a trial version of NeroLinux.

Brasero logs were of no use BTW, they talked of an unexpected error just
before ejecting the DVD.

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4E7CE3B2.4020409@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4E7CE3B2.4020409@videotron.ca

Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:53:22 -0400, Frank wrote:

> On 23/09/11 12:05 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:08:54 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD.
>>> Brasero warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd
>>> standard for iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK. It
>>> ejects the DVD saying an error has occurred. Does anybody have a
>>> solution or suggestions ??
>>
>> One suggestion, yep :-)
>>
>> Try to make an ISO image for the files you want to dump into the DVD
>> and burn the ISO instead. Regardless the results, read Brasero logs,
>> maybe you find something of interest in them.
>

> I would try that but I don't have the file anymore...I burned it to a
> DVD using a trial version of NeroLinux.

I told you so because by burning an ISO image usually enforces the right
parameters to be used by Brasero, like support for big files (UDF) ;-)

> Brasero logs were of no use BTW, they talked of an unexpected error just
> before ejecting the DVD.

You got only "a one line" error?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Frank

I am having trouble getting a large (2.7 gigs) file onto a DVD.
Brasero warns me that such a large file is only supported by the 3rd
standard for iso9660...but then won't burn it even after I say OK. It
ejects the DVD saying an error has occurred. Does anybody have a
solution or suggestions ??

One suggestion, yep :-)

Try to make an ISO image for the files you want to dump into the DVD
and burn the ISO instead. Regardless the results, read Brasero logs,
maybe you find something of interest in them.

I would try that but I don't have the file anymore...I burned it to a
DVD using a trial version of NeroLinux.

I told you so because by burning an ISO image usually enforces the right
parameters to be used by Brasero, like support for big files (UDF) ;-)

I wouldn't have thought that to get a file onto DVD would require it
to be first converted to an ISO

Should not UDF be available for all files??

Brasero logs were of no use BTW, they talked of an unexpected error just
before ejecting the DVD.

You got only "a one line" error?

I don't have the error logs now, but as I recall the error was one
line in the log...because Brasero then ejected the DVD.

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 4E7E101D.9060106@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4E7E101D.9060106@videotron.ca

Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:15:09 -0400, Frank wrote:

> On 24/09/11 05:55 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> I would try that but I don't have the file anymore...I burned it
>>> to a
>>> DVD using a trial version of NeroLinux.
>>
>> I told you so because by burning an ISO image usually enforces the
>> right parameters to be used by Brasero, like support for big files
>> (UDF) ;-)
>

> I wouldn't have thought that to get a file onto DVD would require it
> to be first converted to an ISO

Me neither.

> Should not UDF be available for all files??

Yes, I told you a trick as a start point to debug your issue. Of course,
Brasero should not have failed but we first need to know what and why
hapened, right? So we need more clues to connect the points in the right
form :-)

- If burning an ISO image also fails, then the problem may not have any
relation to UDF.

- If burning an ISO image succeeds, then it can be something wrong at
Brasero that makes it fail to detect the right extensions to use.

>>> Brasero logs were of no use BTW, they talked of an unexpected error
>>> just before ejecting the DVD.
>>
>> You got only "a one line" error?
>

> I don't have the error logs now, but as I recall the error was one
> line in the log...because Brasero then ejected the DVD.

Now I recall, you can also try to burn the DVD from command line. I'm
sure you will be able to find the right syntax to get the burning job
done by googling a bit around.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón