Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default Device node for external camera

Hi!

I have an external IP camera which serves video at
http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)

I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.

How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP camera?

--
Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:14:18 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I have an external IP camera which serves video at
> http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
> IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)
>
> I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
> requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.
>
> How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP
> camera?

I would first check if yoru device is supported by "motion" and given that
your are using a network camera, this may help:

How do I use my Network Camera with motion?
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#How_do_I_use_my_Network_C amera_with_motion_63

Motion Guide - Basic Features
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionGuideBasicFeatures#Network_Cameras

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Thank you. I think this is exactly what I was looking for.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:44:56 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:14:18 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>
> > I have an external IP camera which serves video at
> > http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
> > IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)
> >
> > I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
> > requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.
> >
> > How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP
> > camera?
>
> I would first check if yoru device is supported by "motion" and given that
> your are using a network camera, this may help:
>
> How do I use my Network Camera with motion?
> http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#How_do_I_use_my_Network_C amera_with_motion_63
>
> Motion Guide - Basic Features
> http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionGuideBasicFeatures#Network_Cameras
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 23/09/11 01:14, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an external IP camera which serves video at
> http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
> IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)
>
> I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
> requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.
>
> How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP camera?

Just uncomment netcam_url string and assign it a value in ~/motion.conf
It's a great program - though masking can be a little fiddly. Enable the
web interface and you'll find the documentation is more accessible
through it.
You can also edit through the browser interface - default is
http://localhost:8080 - there's a thread for each camera (I run several)
NOTE: you can change the http options in motion.conf so that http is
available externally (don't forget uncomment the password option).
You'll also need to be in the motion group.

Cheers

--
"As if growing wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say

Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Thank you! So how do I specify multiple cameras in the same conf file? Never mind, with what you told me I can look it up in the docs.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:41:14 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/09/11 01:14, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have an external IP camera which serves video at
> > http://192.168.1.20/mjpeg.cgi. Actually I have 5 of them with different
> > IPs, but that's beside the point... :-)
> >
> > I want to use the program "motion" for motion detection. However it
> > requires input from a device node such as /dev/video0.
> >
> > How can I create such a device node so that it corresponds to my IP camera?
> >

> Just uncomment netcam_url string and assign it a value in ~/motion.conf
> It's a great program - though masking can be a little fiddly. Enable the
> web interface and you'll find the documentation is more accessible
> through it.
> You can also edit through the browser interface - default is
> http://localhost:8080 - there's a thread for each camera (I run several)
> NOTE: you can change the http options in motion.conf so that http is
> available externally (don't forget uncomment the password option).
> You'll also need to be in the motion group.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> "As if growing wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
> I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say
> "Yeah you do - take up space, displace matter"....
> I'd go "Oh yeah?"
> even as a kid I was king of the comebacks"
> — Bill Hicks

Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis