Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM
francis picabia

Default No iceweasel support for google+

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:06:57 -0300
> francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello francis,
>
>> I could trick it into identifying as another browser, but I wondered
>> if it will be supported anyway without hacking the identifier.
>
> I tried that, but it didn't work.

OK, too bad, but thanks for looking into it. I had read google docs
app could be fooled by this, but there must be other tests involved
for google+.

BTW, google+ is now available for anyone - no invites required, the
beta period is now over. Circles makes so much sense. Coders should
know this naturally - after all, you don't declare all variables
global.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:16:56 +0100
> Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Darac,
>
> > 3. Accept that google don't "support" the browser, accept that any
> > breakages are your own responsibility and continue to use the site
> > (This may also involve contacting google to let you past the
>
> Not an option; With an "unsupported browser, you can't even log in.

Yes. Sadly Google's idea of "support" isn't quite the same as everyone
else's. An unsupported browser should mean that you CAN use it, but
they'll not help you if you find that all the text is suddenly upside
down or whatever. Unsupported should not equal banned (I'm not saying a
browser shouldn't be banned, just that one is not the other).

--
Darac Marjal

Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:45:45 -0300
francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello francis,

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk>
> > I tried that, but it didn't work.
> OK, too bad, but thanks for looking into it. I had read google docs

NP.

> app could be fooled by this, but there must be other tests involved
> for google+.

I think it's the HTML issue mentioned by, err, John (had to quickly
check the name).

> BTW, google+ is now available for anyone - no invites required, the

So it seems. Although I already had an invite. Lucky me. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:33:25 +0100
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

Hello Darac,

> down or whatever. Unsupported should not equal banned (I'm not saying a
> browser shouldn't be banned, just that one is not the other).

It's okay, IKWYM. "On you own head be it", rather than "Hie thee hence,
Satan".

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
Junk floats on polluted water
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:24:44 -0300
francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello francis,

> Eventually I'll see it maybe in squeeze. I can live with running

Will Iceweasel 5 make it into squeeze? I didn't think it would get
anything more than security updates.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
No you can't hop into my shower
Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) - P!nk

Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 22 September 2011 14:06, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:36:19 -0300, francis picabia wrote:
>>
>>> I must remember to launch google chrome to use google+, as it does not
>>> support iceweasel. *Is this something expected to change? Perhaps I
>>> simply have a problem searching for articles about google+ in google
>>> search, as I see on rants.org article.
>>
>> What problems are you having?
>>
>> I can't locate (are there any?) the browser requirements for running
>> Google+ so it must be the same as for the rest of the Google apps and
>> Firefox/Iceweasel (version >3.x) has always been supported :-?
>
> I don't really have a "problem" but if I select the google+ tab
> I get a generic page saying my browser is no longer supported.
> I'm using iceweasel 3.5.16 - I think the current release for
> Debian squeeze.
>
> I could trick it into identifying as another browser, but I wondered
> if it will be supported anyway without hacking the identifier.

I'm not having any problems with google+ and iceweasel, but i have
upgraded my iceweasel to 7.0 from the mozilla.debian site. Hope this
helps?

Take care
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
efever http://www.efever.blogspot.com/

Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Weaver

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:51 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:36:19 -0300, francis picabia wrote:
>
> > I must remember to launch google chrome to use google+, as it does
> > not support iceweasel. Is this something expected to change?
> > Perhaps I simply have a problem searching for articles about
> > google+ in google search, as I see on rants.org article.
>
> What problems are you having?
>
> I can't locate (are there any?) the browser requirements for running
> Google+ so it must be the same as for the rest of the Google apps and
> Firefox/Iceweasel (version >3.x) has always been supported :-?

I have no problem with Google+ in iceweasel, if that helps.
Regards,

Weaver.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Bob Proulx

Brad Rogers wrote:
> francis picabia wrote:
> > Eventually I'll see it maybe in squeeze. I can live with running
>
> Will Iceweasel 5 make it into squeeze? I didn't think it would get
> anything more than security updates.

Squeeze is already released as Stable 6.0. Newer Iceweasel versions
could only make it into the *next* Testing release later than 6.0
which is Wheezy (likely 7.0). You can't change the past. You can
only change the future.

Stable is by design and intent "stable". Meaning no changes except
for security fixes. No radical changes of behavior. Upgrading the
Firefox browser to a completely different version with radically
different behavior changes is out of scope for a stable release and
can't be snuck in as a security upgrade. (Although there are rules
allowing for some non-security changes to Stable.)

But Firefox has decided to go to a six week release schedule. Every
six weeks a new upstream is pushed out. As long as that is true I
don't think it makes any sense for Firefox to ever appear in a
"released" version of Debian. The schedules are incompatible. Trying
to force one into the other is just going to annoy both. For
Firefox's current release schedule a different model is required. And
fortunately a different support model has been created for it.

Users using Firefox / Iceweasel should track it outside of Debian
Stable. Either with Unstable / Testing or with the Debian Mozilla
Team track. I recommend the Debian Mozilla Team track. Go to the
Debian Mozilla Team web page here and follow the instructions.

http://mozilla.debian.net/

Thanks to the Debian Mozilla Team life is good!

Bob

Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/11 22:36, francis picabia wrote:
> I must remember to launch google chrome to use google+, as it
> does not support iceweasel.

How so?

> Is this something expected to change?
> Perhaps I simply have a problem searching for articles about
> google+ in google search, as I see on rants.org article.

Reality check!
Last time I looked Google and Iceweasel/Firefox were the authoritive
sources for Google+
Rants.org is the authoritive source for nothing.
My apologies to fans of rants.org (I'm not sorry I offended you - I'm
just sorry you're fans of rants.org).

Works fine for me with Iceweasel 6.0.2 on Squeeze

Cheers

--
"As if growing wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say

Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 23/09/11 00:33, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:16:56 +0100
>> Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Darac,
>>
>>> 3. Accept that google don't "support" the browser, accept that any
>>> breakages are your own responsibility and continue to use the site
>>> (This may also involve contacting google to let you past the
>>
>> Not an option; With an "unsupported browser, you can't even log in.
>
> Yes. Sadly Google's idea of "support" isn't quite the same as everyone
> else's. An unsupported browser should mean that you CAN use it, but
> they'll not help you if you find that all the text is suddenly upside
> down or whatever. Unsupported should not equal banned (I'm not saying a
> browser shouldn't be banned, just that one is not the other).

I just tried using Iceweasel 3.5.16 - no problems.
I don't doubt others are getting warning (I didn't try games).
Maybe this is a geographic thing (I'm in Australia) - or maybe there are
different versions/settings in Google+ at play (mine are, an original
trial, and a business account).

I also get a warning in Gmail about Iceweasel 3x - changing the
browseragent to 6+ removes the warning with no loss of functionality.
The official Google reason (for gmail) is to encourage users of older
versions of Firefox to upgrade due to security issues. Iceweasel users
don't have that problem as Debian backports security fixes - so they can
ignore the warnings in gmail without changing the browseragent.

The HTML5/javascript support requirements theory for Google+ sounds
reasonable. Maybe someone could pose the question on the Google+ peoples
blog/Google+ account.

Cheers