Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
rypervenche

Default Debian Testing Xfce4.8 startx problems

I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
proper command to visudo, but no success.

Things I have tried to solve this...

1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4", "exec startxfce4", and
something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
#!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
None of these have worked.

2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
.xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
success.

3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.

I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
my computer straight from the command line if possible. Is it possible
that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
for this to work properly?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx.

Did you try startxfce4 instead of startx?
That's how I launch XFCE when not via the display manager...
--
RMA.

Archive: 4E7A3F7C.9060701@rktmb.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E7A3F7C.9060701@rktmb.org

Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Brian

On Wed 21 Sep 2011 at 09:40:42 -0400, rypervenche wrote:

> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
> proper command to visudo, but no success.

Your using testing is not the problem. It is most likely the presence of
consolekit on the system which is the issue. A neat way round consolekit
and startx not getting on together is given by Liam O'Toole in this
thread:

Basically it involves dealing with policykit directly rather than through
the mediation of consolekit. You will need three .pkla files: one for
upower (suspend and hibernate), one for consolekit (shutdown and reboot)
and one for udisks (mount). The manual page for pklocalauthority is
helpful but ask again if some details are unclear.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-09-21, rypervenche <sub@ryper.org> wrote:
> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
> proper command to visudo, but no success.

(...)

The problem is that while GDM and KDM set up consolekit correctly, using
startx does not. It was discussed recently on this list:

Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 21/09/11 22:58, rypervenche wrote:
> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
> proper command to visudo, but no success.
>
> Things I have tried to solve this...
>
> 1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4", "exec startxfce4", and
> something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
> #!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
> None of these have worked.
>
> 2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
> .xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
> success.
>
> 3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
> to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.
>
> I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
> my computer straight from the command line if possible. Is it possible
> that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
> for this to work properly?
>
> Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm assuming you have xdm installed:-
$ dpkg --get-selections xdm

If yes, what happens when you?:-
# /etc/init.d/xdm start

Also, what Debian release are you running?

Cheers

--
"People say to me, "Bill, quit bringing up Kennedy, man. Let it go. It
was a long time ago. Just forget about it."

Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Perry Thompson

On 09/22/2011 04:03 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 21/09/11 22:58, rypervenche wrote:
>> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
>> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
>> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
>> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
>> proper command to visudo, but no success.
>>
>> Things I have tried to solve this...
>>
>> 1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4", "exec startxfce4", and
>> something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
>> #!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
>> None of these have worked.
>>
>> 2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
>> .xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
>> success.
>>
>> 3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
>> to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.
>>
>> I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
>> my computer straight from the command line if possible. Is it possible
>> that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
>> for this to work properly?
>>
>> Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
>>

> I'm assuming you have xdm installed:-
> $ dpkg --get-selections xdm
>
> If yes, what happens when you?:-
> # /etc/init.d/xdm start
>
> Also, what Debian release are you running?
>
> Cheers

No, I do not have xdm installed. I want to run my system without a DM.
The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
seem to be. I was hoping to be able to get this to work without having
to make custom pkla files.

I am using Debian Testing.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 22/09/11 20:30, Perry Thompson wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 04:03 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 21/09/11 22:58, rypervenche wrote:
>>> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
>>> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
>>> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
>>> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
>>> proper command to visudo, but no success.
>>>
>>> Things I have tried to solve this...
>>>
>>> 1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4",

>>> "exec startxfce4", and

Only exec startxfce4 should be needed in ~/.xinintrc

>>> something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
>>> #!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
>>> None of these have worked.
>>>
>>> 2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
>>> .xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
>>> success.
>>>
>>> 3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
>>> to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.
>>>
>>> I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
>>> my computer straight from the command line if possible.

That should be possible.

What happens when you?:-
$ startx

>>> Is it possible
>>> that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
>>> for this to work properly?
>>>
>>> Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
>>>

>> I'm assuming you have xdm installed:-
>> $ dpkg --get-selections xdm
>>
>> If yes, what happens when you?:-
>> # /etc/init.d/xdm start
>>
>> Also, what Debian release are you running?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> No, I do not have xdm installed. I want to run my system without a DM.

Then why install lightdm?
NOTE: I'm not familiar with lightdm - only know it uses WebKit.

What happens when you?:-
# /etc/init.d/lightdm start

> The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
> that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
> seem to be.

Are they installed?

> I was hoping to be able to get this to work without having
> to make custom pkla files.
>
> I am using Debian Testing.

Cheers

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
randall

On 09/22/2011 01:54 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
seem to be.

i thought that for 4.8 it was changed to startxfce instead of startxfce4

but i could be misstaking, been a while since i read the release notes

Archive: 4E7B2B8C.6050008@songshu.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E7B2B8C.6050008@songshu.org

Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Rares Aioanei

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:35:24 +0200
randall <randall@songshu.org> wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 01:54 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>

> >> The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
> >> that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
> >> seem to be.
>
> i thought that for 4.8 it was changed to startxfce instead of startxfce4

This is from my testing box :

$ find /usr/bin/ -name start* -print

/usr/bin/startfluxbox
/usr/bin/startxfce4