FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

Hi,

To avoid messing up Lisi's post, I started a new one.

What's the acceptable saturation for the / partition,

now my one reached 61% (377M of 658, wheezy), another reached 87% (483M of 657M, sid)


only saw it increases, never saw it decreases.

I followed Camaleón's suggestion, the output of

cd /

du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

the first few ones even reached hundreds of M.
the output of du -h is 34G***

Sorry I still don't know which files took the partition which / mounted.


Thanks,

or maybe I should wait until reached 95% to ask then?
(now seems a bit earlier ^_^ .)

--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:16:53 +0800, lina wrote:

> To avoid messing up Lisi's post, I started a new one.

Better, thanks to care about that :-)

> What's the acceptable saturation for the / partition,

I always ensure there is at least 10% of free space so the whole system
can operate smoothly.

> now my one reached 61% (377M of 658, wheezy), another reached 87% (483M
> of 657M, sid)
>
> only saw it increases, never saw it decreases.

If it increases is because you get new updates and packages :-)

> I followed Camaleón's suggestion, the output of
>
> cd /
> du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less
>
> the first few ones even reached hundreds of M.

Are those big figures for files or folders?

> the output of du -h is 34G

Tip: "du -sh" to get the summary the output, but it will be also
interesting to know what's the result of "df -h" to get the whole picture
of your system space.

> Sorry I still don't know which files took the partition which / mounted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> or maybe I should wait until reached 95% to ask then? (now seems a bit
> earlier ^_^ .)

When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning
message), don't worry >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.21.15.10.53@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.15.10.53@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Lisi
 
Default regards the /

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:10:53 Camaleón wrote:
> When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning
> message), don't worry >:-)

I got no warning until it was already claiming to be 100%. :-( If I were you
I would take some action before it gets that far. You are nearly at
Camaleón's 90% on one of your systems. Learn from my mistakes, rather than
suffering from your own. ;-)

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211624.49913.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211624.49913.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:24:49 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:10:53 Camaleón wrote:
>> When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning
>> message), don't worry >:-)
>
> I got no warning until it was already claiming to be 100%. :-(

I did receive a message warning when my "/" was almost full, so maybe
this is a DE setting (I was under GNOME)? :-?

But anyway that 100% is not "true" (at least for ext3/4 filesystems) and
fair enough as you are still able to log in, right?

> If I were you I would take some action before it gets that far. You are
> nearly at Camaleón's 90% on one of your systems. Learn from my
> mistakes, rather than suffering from your own. ;-)

Sometimes this can't be avoided, I mean, prevention is the best -of
course- but there are times when, for instance, log files increase their
size so quickly that logrotate is not able to trunk them and your system
quota gets full due to an uncontrolled process that, in my case, was
flooding the "/var/log/syslog" file. Then it's too late and your system
may become unstable and slow meaning that you are royaly hosed :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.21.15.43.51@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.15.43.51@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:


On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:16:53 +0800, lina wrote:



> To avoid messing up Lisi's post, I started a new one.



Better, thanks to care about that :-)


You are welcome, I am on my way of learning. ^_^
*


> What's the acceptable saturation for the / partition,



I always ensure there is at least 10% of free space so the whole system

can operate smoothly.



> now my one reached 61% (377M of 658, wheezy), another reached 87% (483M

> of 657M, sid)

>

> only saw it increases, never saw it decreases.



If it increases is because you get new updates and packages :-)



> I followed Camaleón's suggestion, the output of

>

> cd /

> du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

>

> the first few ones even reached hundreds of M.



Are those big figures for files or folders?
*folders.

*


636M*** ./src/some_software
592M*** ./src/some_software/
543M*** ./.local/share
543M*** ./.local
540M*** ./.local/share/Trash/files
540M*** ./.local/share/Trash
494M*** ./Documents/p
392M*** ./Documents/c

375M*** ./Documents/c/BS409
356M*** ./src/some_software/software/test
356M*** ./.mozilla/firefox/3gbs90vf.default
356M*** ./.mozilla/firefox
356M*** ./.mozilla
*


> the output of du -h is 34G



Tip: "du -sh" to get the summary the output, but it will be also

interesting to know what's the result of "df -h" to get the whole picture

of your system space.
*
*# df -h
Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5************ 658M* 377M* 248M* 61% /
tmpfs**************** 5.0M**** 0* 5.0M** 0% /lib/init/rw

tmpfs**************** 792M* 824K* 791M** 1% /run
udev***************** 3.9G**** 0* 3.9G** 0% /dev
tmpfs**************** 1.6G** 12K* 1.6G** 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda4************ 213M** 64M* 139M* 32% /boot
/dev/sda7************* 14G* 3.6G* 9.6G* 28% /home

/dev/sda13*********** 536G** 23G* 487G** 5% /scratch
/dev/sda8************ 564M** 20M* 515M** 4% /tmp
/dev/sda9************* 15G* 6.3G* 7.7G* 46% /usr
/dev/sda10*********** 6.5G* 461M* 5.7G** 8% /usr/local
/dev/sda11*********** 3.4G* 639M* 2.6G* 20% /var

/dev/sda12*********** 6.9G* 870M* 5.7G* 14% /var/local
*


> Sorry I still don't know which files took the partition which / mounted.
*are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?
*


>

> Thanks,

>

> or maybe I should wait until reached 95% to ask then? (now seems a bit

> earlier ^_^ .)



When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning

message), don't worry >:-)*



Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.15.10.53@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:10:53 Camaleón wrote:

> When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning

> message), don't worry >:-)



I got no warning until it was already claiming to be 100%. *:-( *If I were you

I used to get warnings about the /tmp (276M) when I watched some online films in the past.
*

I would take some action before it gets that far. *You are nearly at

Camaleón's 90% on one of your systems. *Learn from my mistakes, rather than

suffering from your own. ;-)

Thanks,*



Lisi





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201109211624.49913.lisi.reisz@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:45:00 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I followed Camaleón's suggestion, the output of
>> >
>> > cd /
>> > du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less
>> >
>> > the first few ones even reached hundreds of M.
>>
>> Are those big figures for files or folders?
>>
>>
> folders.
>
>
>
>> 636M ./src/some_software
>> 592M ./src/some_software/
>> 543M ./.local/share
>> 543M ./.local
>> 540M ./.local/share/Trash/files
>> 540M ./.local/share/Trash
>> 494M ./Documents/p
>> 392M ./Documents/c
>> 375M ./Documents/c/BS409
>> 356M ./src/some_software/software/test
>> 356M ./.mozilla/firefox/3gbs90vf.default
>> 356M ./.mozilla/firefox
>> 356M ./.mozilla

Then it's fine. I would worry when a file gets oversized, that may
indicate a problem.

But I would carefully watch your "/.local/share/Trash" and your Firefox
profile. Both folders look very big to me, you may have there "erasable"
files (deleted and/or cached files you can safely remove).

Look:

sm01@stt008:~$ du -hs .local/share/Trash .mozilla
104M .local/share/Trash
120M .mozilla

>> > the output of du -h is 34G
>>
>> Tip: "du -sh" to get the summary the output, but it will be also
>> interesting to know what's the result of "df -h" to get the whole
>> picture of your system space.
>>
>>
> # df -h

(...)

Overall looks good.

>> > Sorry I still don't know which files took the partition which /
>> > mounted.
>>
>>
> are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?

You can also use "df" for files, it will print the partition on what
they're are mounted. For example:

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; df -h /data/backup/sm01/2010-09-12.tar.bz2 .mozilla
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1 459G 401G 35G 93% /data/backup
/dev/sda3 115G 22G 94G 19% /

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.21.16.24.10@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.16.24.10@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 PM
green
 
Default regards the /

lina wrote at 2011-09-21 08:16 -0500:
> What's the acceptable saturation for the / partition,
>
> now my one reached 61% (377M of 658, wheezy),
> another reached 87% (483M of 657M, sid)
>
> only saw it increases, never saw it decreases.

> or maybe I should wait until reached 95% to ask then?
> (now seems a bit earlier ^_^ .)

In my opinion, percentage filled is moot (does not matter) unless perhaps the
topic is filesystem behavior (like fragmentation). Otherwise free space is
what matters. For example, 100MB free might be plenty much for a simple
kiosk with a 4GB filesystem (98% filled). Or 1GB free on a workstation out
of 1TB (99.99% filled). The answer to your question then, in free space,
depends on usage, and whether the root partition is separated from /home,
/var, etc.
 
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:45:00 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



>> > I followed Camaleón's suggestion, the output of

>> >

>> > cd /

>> > du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

>> >

>> > the first few ones even reached hundreds of M.

>>

>> Are those big figures for files or folders?

>>

>>

> folders.

>

>

>

>> 636M * *./src/some_software

>> 592M * *./src/some_software/

>> 543M * *./.local/share

>> 543M * *./.local

>> 540M * *./.local/share/Trash/files

>> 540M * *./.local/share/Trash

>> 494M * *./Documents/p

>> 392M * *./Documents/c

>> 375M * *./Documents/c/BS409

>> 356M * *./src/some_software/software/test

>> 356M * *./.mozilla/firefox/3gbs90vf.default

>> 356M * *./.mozilla/firefox

>> 356M * *./.mozilla



Then it's fine. I would worry when a file gets oversized, that may

indicate a problem.



But I would carefully watch your "/.local/share/Trash" and your Firefox

profile. Both folders look very big to me, you may have there "erasable"

files (deleted and/or cached files you can safely remove).



Look:



sm01@stt008:~$ du -hs .local/share/Trash .mozilla

104M * *.local/share/Trash

120M * *.mozilla

I just made a clean. now better. Thanks ^_^ for your time.
*




>> > the output of du -h is 34G

>>

>> Tip: "du -sh" to get the summary the output, but it will be also

>> interesting to know what's the result of "df -h" to get the whole

>> picture of your system space.

>>

>>

> *# df -h



(...)



Overall looks good.



>> > Sorry I still don't know which files took the partition which /

>> > mounted.

>>

>>

> are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?



You can also use "df" for files, it will print the partition on what

they're are mounted. For example:



sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; df -h /data/backup/sm01/2010-09-12.tar.bz2 .mozilla

Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdb1 * * * * * * 459G *401G * 35G *93% /data/backup

/dev/sda3 * * * * * * 115G * 22G * 94G *19% /

The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,

Question 1: still missing few MB, which I don't know being occupied by which files. welcome providing guess. and there is none invisible file in /. is it reasonable for below files?


*/# LANG=POSIX; df -h /lib
Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5************ 658M* 377M* 248M* 61% /

330M*** /lib
12M*** /etc/
6.7M*** /bin
5.7M*** sbin/
4.6M*** /lib32

1.3M*** /root/

200K*** srv/
4.0K*** selinux/
4.0K*** lib64/
16K*** lost+found/
8.0K*** media/
8.0K*** mnt/

Question 2: is it normal?

# LANG=POSIX; df -h sys/
Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on

sysfs******************* 0**** 0**** 0** -* /sys

I don't have /sys partition.

Thanks,




Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.16.24.10@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 01:16:33 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?
>>
>> You can also use "df" for files, it will print the partition on what
>> they're are mounted. For example:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; df -h /data/backup/sm01/2010-09-12.tar.bz2
>> .mozilla
>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb1
>> 459G 401G 35G 93% /data/backup /dev/sda3 115G
>> 22G 94G 19% /
>>
>>
> The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,

Note: I set the LANG environment to posix because...

1/ My system is in Spanish so when posting some output to this mailing
list it is desiderable to get the results in English

2/ I only have a small set of locales available (I mean, no "en_US.utf8"
in this system):

sm01@stt008:~$ locale -a
C
es_ES.utf8
POSIX

> Question 1: still missing few MB, which I don't know being occupied by
> which files. welcome providing guess. and there is none invisible file
> in /. is it reasonable for below files?
>
> /# LANG=POSIX; df -h /lib
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda5 658M 377M 248M 61% /
>
> 330M /lib

(...)

Hmm... you "/lib" seems a bit bloated (mine is 94 MiB), I would look
inside it:

du -h /lib | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

> Question 2: is it normal?
>
> # LANG=POSIX; df -h sys/
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> sysfs 0 0 0 - /sys

I hope yes :-)

You can run "df -ah" to see all of the "available" partitions.

> I don't have /sys partition.

No, because its a "virtual" one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.21.17.34.49@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.17.34.49@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org