FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Sep 22, 2011, at 1:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 01:16:33 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>>> are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?
>>>
>>> You can also use "df" for files, it will print the partition on what
>>> they're are mounted. For example:
>>>
>>> sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; df -h /data/backup/sm01/2010-09-12.tar.bz2
>>> .mozilla
>>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb1
>>> 459G 401G 35G 93% /data/backup /dev/sda3 115G
>>> 22G 94G 19% /
>>>
>>>
>> The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,
>
> Note: I set the LANG environment to posix because...
>
> 1/ My system is in Spanish so when posting some output to this mailing
> list it is desiderable to get the results in English
>
> 2/ I only have a small set of locales available (I mean, no "en_US.utf8"
> in this system):
Thanks very much for explanation.

Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment.
When I test each directory.
I avoid using the up arrow to get history.
I tried to type each time to enhance memory of it.
How silly I was/am.

You are a very nice person. Seriously.
Sometimes my Qs could drive people stressed and away. Really appreciate your patience.

>
> sm01@stt008:~$ locale -a
> C
> es_ES.utf8
> POSIX
>
>> Question 1: still missing few MB, which I don't know being occupied by
>> which files. welcome providing guess. and there is none invisible file
>> in /. is it reasonable for below files?
>>
>> /# LANG=POSIX; df -h /lib
>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda5 658M 377M 248M 61% /
>>
>> 330M /lib
>
> (...)
>
> Hmm... you "/lib" seems a bit bloated (mine is 94 MiB), I would look
> inside it:
>
> du -h /lib | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less
I will check tomorrow.

.^_^.

Warm regards,

Lina

>
>> Question 2: is it normal?
>>
>> # LANG=POSIX; df -h sys/
>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> sysfs 0 0 0 - /sys
>
> I hope yes :-)
>
> You can run "df -ah" to see all of the "available" partitions.
>
>> I don't have /sys partition.
>
> No, because its a "virtual" one:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.17.34.49@gmail.com
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: E2149E46-23B4-4F9C-93AD-A23EE8A5067B@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/E2149E46-23B4-4F9C-93AD-A23EE8A5067B@gmail.com
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 AM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:




On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 01:16:33 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



(...)



>> > are there some easy way to see which files sit on which partition?

>>

>> You can also use "df" for files, it will print the partition on what

>> they're are mounted. For example:

>>

>> sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; df -h /data/backup/sm01/2010-09-12.tar.bz2

>> .mozilla

>> Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb1

>> * * *459G *401G * 35G *93% /data/backup /dev/sda3 * * * * * * 115G

>> 22G * 94G *19% /

>>

>>

> The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,



Note: I set the LANG environment to posix because...



1/ My system is in Spanish so when posting some output to this mailing

list it is desiderable to get the results in English



2/ I only have a small set of locales available (I mean, no "en_US.utf8"

in this system):



sm01@stt008:~$ locale -a

C

es_ES.utf8

POSIX



> Question 1: still missing few MB, which I don't know being occupied by

> which files. welcome providing guess. and there is none invisible file

> in /. is it reasonable for below files?

>

> */# LANG=POSIX; df -h /lib

> Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on

> /dev/sda5 * * * * * * 658M *377M *248M *61% /

>

> 330M * */lib
*


(...)



Hmm... you "/lib" seems a bit bloated (mine is 94 MiB), I would look

inside it:



du -h /lib | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less


330M*** /lib
311M*** /lib/modules

got several kernels here.
*
linux-headers-2.6-amd64*** *** *** *** install
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common*** *** *** install
linux-headers-2.6.38-2-amd64*** *** *** install


linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common*** *** *** install
linux-headers-2.6.39-2-amd64*** *** *** install
linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common*** *** *** install
linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64*** *** *** install
linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common*** *** *** install


linux-headers-amd64*** *** *** *** install


after purging, only took

# du -sh /lib
128M*** /lib

Thanks for your help. It's done.






> Question 2: is it normal?

>

> # LANG=POSIX; df -h sys/

> Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on

> sysfs * * * * * * * * * *0 * * 0 * * 0 * - */sys



I hope yes :-)



You can run "df -ah" to see all of the "available" partitions.



> I don't have /sys partition.



No, because its a "virtual" one:



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs



Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.17.34.49@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 02:04:09 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2011, at 1:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,
>>
>> Note: I set the LANG environment to posix because...
>>
>> 1/ My system is in Spanish so when posting some output to this mailing
>> list it is desiderable to get the results in English
>>
>> 2/ I only have a small set of locales available (I mean, no
>> "en_US.utf8" in this system):

> Thanks very much for explanation.
>
> Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment. When
> I test each directory.
> I avoid using the up arrow to get history. I tried to type each time to
> enhance memory of it. How silly I was/am.

He... that's a good gimmick I should also use to improve my memory (it
takes me some time to remember the commands I barely use) but I'm so lazy
than even to run history commands I use "!+history number" instead of
retyping it again :-P

> You are a very nice person. Seriously. Sometimes my Qs could drive
> people stressed and away. Really appreciate your patience.

(...)

You're welcome (and thanks for your warm words).

I can be very verbose sometimes -despite my English skills aren't as good
as I would like- but I always try explaining things in the same way I'd
like people explain them to me.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.22.11.38.31@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.11.38.31@gmail.com
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:50:54 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hmm... you "/lib" seems a bit bloated (mine is 94 MiB), I would look
>> inside it:
>>
>> du -h /lib | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less
>>
>> 330M /lib
> 311M /lib/modules
>
> got several kernels here.
>
> linux-headers-2.6-amd64 install
> linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common install
> linux-headers-2.6.38-2-amd64 install
> linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common install
> linux-headers-2.6.39-2-amd64 install
> linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common install
> linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64 install
> linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common install
> linux-headers-amd64 install
>
>
> after purging, only took
>
> # du -sh /lib
> 128M /lib
>
> Thanks for your help. It's done.

Hum... I hope those files are not going to be used anymore by your
system. By the way, they're not kernels, but "kernel headers", mainly
needed for compiling things but dunno what were they doing under "/lib/
modules" :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.22.11.50.05@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.11.50.05@gmail.com
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 02:04:09 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Sep 22, 2011, at 1:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



(...)



>>> The command #LANG=POSIX; df -h * is cool. Thanks,

>>

>> Note: I set the LANG environment to posix because...

>>

>> 1/ My system is in Spanish so when posting some output to this mailing

>> list it is desiderable to get the results in English

>>

>> 2/ I only have a small set of locales available (I mean, no

>> "en_US.utf8" in this system):



> Thanks very much for explanation.

>

> Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment. When

> I test each directory.

> I avoid using the up arrow to get history. I tried to type each time to

> enhance memory of it. How silly I was/am.



He... that's a good gimmick I should also use to improve my memory (it

takes me some time to remember the commands I barely use) but I'm so lazy

than even to run history commands I use "!+history number" instead of

retyping it again :-P
*Ha ... it's not easy to remember the history number.*




> You are a very nice person. Seriously. Sometimes my Qs could drive

> people stressed and away. *Really appreciate your patience.



(...)



You're welcome (and thanks for your warm words).



I can be very verbose sometimes -despite my English skills aren't as good

as I would like- but I always try explaining things in the same way I'd

like people explain them to me.



Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.11.38.31@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:50:54 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



>> Hmm... you "/lib" seems a bit bloated (mine is 94 MiB), I would look

>> inside it:

>>

>> du -h /lib | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

>>

>> 330M * */lib

> 311M * */lib/modules

>

> got several kernels here.

>

> linux-headers-2.6-amd64 * * * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-2.6.38-2-amd64 * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-2.6.39-2-amd64 * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64 * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common * * * * * *install

> linux-headers-amd64 * * * * * * * *install

>

>

> after purging, only took

>

> # du -sh /lib

> 128M * */lib

>

> Thanks for your help. It's done.



Hum... I hope those files are not going to be used anymore by your

system. By the way, they're not kernels, but "kernel headers", mainly

Read this, I reboot the laptop to test. haha ... seems so far so good.
*

needed for compiling things but dunno what were they doing under "/lib/

modules" :-?
no idea. probably someone else may know it.*




Greetings,
*


--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.11.50.05@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:31:30 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment.
>> > When I test each directory.
>> > I avoid using the up arrow to get history. I tried to type each time
>> > to enhance memory of it. How silly I was/am.
>>
>> He... that's a good gimmick I should also use to improve my memory (it
>> takes me some time to remember the commands I barely use) but I'm so
>> lazy than even to run history commands I use "!+history number" instead
>> of retyping it again :-P
>>
> Ha ... it's not easy to remember the history number.

There is nothing to remember :-)

I run a command:

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l
(...)

Then I want to run that same command again, but don't remember (or don't
want to retype) the full syntax, what were the parameters I added, etc...
So I ask "history":

sm01@stt008:~$ history|grep ls
(...)
501 ls -l
502 history|grep ls

Okay, it was 501, perfect. To run it again is just a matter of:

sm01@stt008:~$ !501
ls -l

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.22.13.04.21@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.13.04.21@gmail.com
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Camaleón
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:42:09 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > got several kernels here.
>> >
>> > linux-headers-2.6-amd64 install
>> > linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common install
>> > linux-headers-2.6.38-2-amd64 install
>> > linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common install
>> > linux-headers-2.6.39-2-amd64 install
>> > linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common install
>> > linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64 install
>> > linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common install linux-headers-amd64
>> > install
>> >
>> >
>> > after purging, only took
>> >
>> > # du -sh /lib
>> > 128M /lib
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help. It's done.
>>
>> Hum... I hope those files are not going to be used anymore by your
>> system. By the way, they're not kernels, but "kernel headers", mainly
>>
>>
> Read this, I reboot the laptop to test. haha ... seems so far so good.

(...)

Good, but you should now what were those folders and what files were
storing, most surely kernel symbols but again, they're needed for
specific purposes and if you got them installed is because "you"
installed by yourself for "something" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.22.13.13.29@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.13.13.29@gmail.com
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:31:30 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



(...)



>> > Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment.

>> > When I test each directory.

>> > I avoid using the up arrow to get history. I tried to type each time

>> > to enhance memory of it. How silly I was/am.

>>

>> He... that's a good gimmick I should also use to improve my memory (it

>> takes me some time to remember the commands I barely use) but I'm so

>> lazy than even to run history commands I use "!+history number" instead

>> of retyping it again :-P

>>

> *Ha ... it's not easy to remember the history number.



There is nothing to remember :-)



I run a command:



sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l

(...)



Then I want to run that same command again, but don't remember (or don't

want to retype) the full syntax, what were the parameters I added, etc...

So I ask "history":



sm01@stt008:~$ history|grep ls

(...)

*501 *ls -l

*502 *history|grep ls



Okay, it was 501, perfect. To run it again is just a matter of:



sm01@stt008:~$ !501

ls -l


This is smart. I used to copy the command and paste there, sometimes during
, it won't recognize.

Thanks for sharing (share one amazing thing, today my sister she told me that she was possibly pregnant. lol ... it's a beautiful beautiful thing. haha ...).

*

Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.13.04.21@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
lina
 
Default regards the /

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:42:09 +0800, lina wrote:



> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:



(...)



>> > got several kernels here.

>> >

>> > linux-headers-2.6-amd64 * * * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-2.6.38-2-amd64 * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-2.6.38-2-common * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-2.6.39-2-amd64 * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64 * * * * * *install

>> > linux-headers-3.0.0-1-common * * * * * *install linux-headers-amd64

>> > * * * * * * *install

>> >

>> >

>> > after purging, only took

>> >

>> > # du -sh /lib

>> > 128M * */lib

>> >

>> > Thanks for your help. It's done.

>>

>> Hum... I hope those files are not going to be used anymore by your

>> system. By the way, they're not kernels, but "kernel headers", mainly

>>

>>

> Read this, I reboot the laptop to test. haha ... seems so far so good.



(...)



Good, but you should now what were those folders and what files were

storing, most surely kernel symbols but again, they're needed for

specific purposes and if you got them installed is because "you"

installed by yourself for "something" :-)

Here is the

:/lib/modules/3.0.0-mbp82-lina$ ls
build************* modules.builtin***** modules.devname* modules.symbols.bin
kernel************ modules.builtin.bin* modules.order*** source

modules.alias***** modules.dep********* modules.softdep* updates
modules.alias.bin* modules.dep.bin***** modules.symbols

*:/lib/modules/3.0.0-mbp82-lina$ du -sh *
0** *build
102M** *kernel
592K** *modules.alias

588K** *modules.alias.bin
4.0K** *modules.builtin
8.0K** *modules.builtin.bin
256K** *modules.dep
368K** *modules.dep.bin
4.0K** *modules.devname
96K** *modules.order
4.0K** *modules.softdep
256K** *modules.symbols

324K** *modules.symbols.bin
0** *source
4.0M** *updates

(Sorry I should be serious a bit.)

Thanks,




Greetings,



--

Camaleón





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.22.13.13.29@gmail.com





--
Best Regards,

lina
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org