Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
lina

Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Sep 21, 2011, at 1:30, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:48:46 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> Sorry I have a quasi-problem with her, so hope won't mind I following my
>> questions here,
>
> That's why I hate partitioning :-)

I hate partition too but sometimes... You know.

> Yep, I know there is LVM but I'm a bit reluctant in adding a second
> logical layer of complexity when it comes to hard disk management...
>
>> My / partition is also on the edge of saturation.
>>
>> But how do I know which files are in / partition?
>
> "fdisk -l" will tell.
>
> I have stored a one-liner to sort big files/folders:
>
> (as root, and be patient, this can take some time...)
>
> cd /
> du -h | grep "[0-9]M" | sort -n -r | less

Right now I'm on my phone. I will check later. Thanks for your "" time.

>> the /tmp /var are on other partitions. This is for sure.
>>
>> / != /root
>> correct?
>
> (...)
>
> Correct.
>
> "/root" is the "home" of the root user :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
> (in her "idle" time)

I am kinda of like your ^_^ pleasant and natural ^_^ very much.

Happy "idle" time.

Lina

Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 15:47:22 Camaleón wrote:
> Lisi, calm down and don't forget the good manners of sending plain text
> formatted e-mails ;-)

Sorry, Camaleón. :-( I *never* turn HTML on. I have it unticked. I simply
don't know why KMail sometimes does, but I don't always know that it has done
so until someone complains.

Yes, I am now tearing my hair out as well as panicking. :-( I *really* need
this computer now. I deleted two very large thumbnails files - and it has
made no difference whatsoever. I can't work from a live CD because no amount
of trial and error or googling can tell me how to either change at the
command line from a us to a uk keyboard or, alternatively, find the location
of the %$&*"** pipe on a us keyboard so that I can press the right key.

I think I had better go and drink a large number of cups of tea.

Lisi

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 16:31:26 Lisi wrote:
> I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have, on my root
> directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /.
> This is causing me problems. (Now there's a surprise!!)
>
> I have no backup of my /. Yes, I know. I deserve everything I've got.
> But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come to
> my rescue? I would be so grateful.... I may, of course, just have to
> reinstall. :-(
>
> Lisi

hapened to me and some friends. Then upgrade dont go to nicely!!!
Got out of it 2 ways, depending on the hard drive configuration:

If you have LVM, you need a livecd from, say debian, and use it to resize your
partitions, then you can take time to do your clean up. To resize it you need
lvm tools which are not present in a basic live cd, so you have to install them
after you boot whith your cd.

If you have a basic fs, then gparted-live should do the job of resizing.

A third way (never worked for me, but it is still worth trying, as it is less
painful, was already mentioned by Cameleón, is to use the 5% reserved for
admin.
Unfortunatly, I dont remember the command line for that, someone can help?
Thierry

Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 20:19:30 Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 16:31:26 Lisi wrote:
> > I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have, on my root
> > directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /.
> > This is causing me problems. (Now there's a surprise!!)
> >
> > I have no backup of my /. Yes, I know. I deserve everything I've got.
> > But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come to
> > my rescue? I would be so grateful.... I may, of course, just have to
> > reinstall. :-(
> >
> > Lisi
>
> hapened to me and some friends. Then upgrade dont go to nicely!!!
> Got out of it 2 ways, depending on the hard drive configuration:
>
> If you have LVM, you need a livecd from, say debian, and use it to resize
> your partitions, then you can take time to do your clean up. To resize it
> you need lvm tools which are not present in a basic live cd, so you have to
> install them after you boot whith your cd.
>
> If you have a basic fs, then gparted-live should do the job of resizing.
>
> A third way (never worked for me, but it is still worth trying, as it is
> less painful, was already mentioned by Cameleón, is to use the 5% reserved
> for admin.
> Unfortunatly, I dont remember the command line for that, someone can help?
> Thierry

Thanks, all of you. :-)

Unfortunately my original email, now I reread it, was less that totally
informative. :-(

My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.

It contains everything else.

hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.

My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years. Now it has
suddenly filled up completely. The most likely explanation is that I
accidentally copied a large directory, say, /home onto hda1. This has
happened before, but it has been easy to find and put right. This time I
can't find it. I daren't just wholesale start deleting things on /, and even
if I can salvage a few gig from swap, it won't be much because it is not a
large disk. It doesn't need to be normally!

Once I have solved the keyboard problem, I'll have a look both using GParted
and using a general purpose live CD.

I'll ask about the keyboard problem on a British list rather than an
international one. I am more likely to get an answer that I understand,
since it is a problem that we all face: how to get a pipe, working from a
live CD, using a uk keyboard.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Lisi

Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Bob Proulx

Lisi wrote:
> My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.
> hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.
>
> My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years. Now it has
> suddenly filled up completely. The most likely explanation is that I
> accidentally copied a large directory, say, /home onto hda1. This has
> happened before, but it has been easy to find and put right. This time I
> can't find it. I daren't just wholesale start deleting things on /, and even
I like the 'xdu' command for visualizing where disk space is
consumed. Unfortunately if your system is too full to install it and
if you don't already have it then you will need to work a little bit
to get it. But it is only a single binary executable, very simple,
and doesn't need anything else. The simple but long running way:

du -xk / | xdu

Depending upon how much data 'du' has to churn through that could take
a while to run. I typically keep a copy cached from a nightly cron
job that runs it daily. Then it is always quickly available to me.
If you have space in /home on a second disk then to avoid the long run
without feedback I would cache a temporary copy there and run from
there. It is just more pleasant to see that it is making progress and
to have a file to run from repeatedly than the one above. YMMV.

du -xk / | tee /home/du-xk.out
xdu /home/du-xk.out

Click the mouse left button on the areas to explore. It is somewhat
interactive. Simple. But quite useful.

Bob

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 21:21:24 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.
> > hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.
> >
> > My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years. Now it has
> > suddenly filled up completely. The most likely explanation is that I
> > accidentally copied a large directory, say, /home onto hda1. This has
> > happened before, but it has been easy to find and put right. This time I
> > can't find it. I daren't just wholesale start deleting things on /, and
> > even
>
> I like the 'xdu' command for visualizing where disk space is
> consumed. Unfortunately if your system is too full to install it and
> if you don't already have it then you will need to work a little bit
> to get it. But it is only a single binary executable, very simple,
> and doesn't need anything else. The simple but long running way:
>
> du -xk / | xdu
>
> Depending upon how much data 'du' has to churn through that could take
> a while to run. I typically keep a copy cached from a nightly cron
> job that runs it daily. Then it is always quickly available to me.
> If you have space in /home on a second disk then to avoid the long run
> without feedback I would cache a temporary copy there and run from
> there. It is just more pleasant to see that it is making progress and
> to have a file to run from repeatedly than the one above. YMMV.
>
> du -xk / | tee /home/du-xk.out
> xdu /home/du-xk.out
>
> Click the mouse left button on the areas to explore. It is somewhat
> interactive. Simple. But quite useful.

Thanks, Bob. I am about to try this - but before pressing enter and putting
my box out of commission for the night as a result, I wanted to thank you for
yet another constructive reply from this amazing list. :-)

Lisi

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Christopher Judd

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 16:01:09 Lisi wrote:

> Thanks, all of you. :-)
>
> Unfortunately my original email, now I reread it, was less that totally
> informative. :-(
>
> My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.
>
> It contains everything else.
>
> hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.
>
> My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years. Now it has
> suddenly filled up completely. The most likely explanation is that I
> accidentally copied a large directory, say, /home onto hda1. This has

I'd check /var/log first. This happened to me about a year ago. I don't
recall all the details, but an error condition generated a huge log file that
filled my / partition. Oddly enough, after deleting the offending file, the
partition still showed as full until I did an fsck on it. After that, I
rebooted and everything was fine.

-Chris

> happened before, but it has been easy to find and put right. This time I
> can't find it. I daren't just wholesale start deleting things on /, and
> even if I can salvage a few gig from swap, it won't be much because it is
> not a large disk. It doesn't need to be normally!
>
> Once I have solved the keyboard problem, I'll have a look both using
> GParted and using a general purpose live CD.
>
> I'll ask about the keyboard problem on a British list rather than an
> international one. I am more likely to get an answer that I understand,
> since it is a problem that we all face: how to get a pipe, working from a
> live CD, using a uk keyboard.
>
> Thanks again for all your help so far.
>
> Lisi

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |
| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |
| Wadsworth Center - ESP |
| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |
| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Dom

On 20/09/11 21:01, Lisi wrote:

large disk. It doesn't need to be normally!

Once I have solved the keyboard problem, I'll have a look both using GParted
and using a general purpose live CD.

I'll ask about the keyboard problem on a British list rather than an
international one. I am more likely to get an answer that I understand,
since it is a problem that we all face: how to get a pipe, working from a
live CD, using a uk keyboard.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Assuming the live CD is using a default "C" or "en_US" locale, the "~"
key (shift-#, next to the Return key) should generate a "|".

--
Dom

Archive: 4E78FCB2.205@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E78FCB2.205@rpdom.net

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Mark Neidorff

May I suggest the following. From the other posts you know that there is
slack space on the drive (5% of the drive) that is reserved for the root user
to be able to log in and get things back in order.

How about this: reboot the system into single user mode and run fsck on the
drive. First things first. Let's see if the drive is healthy.

Healthy? Good! Now log in as root and go to your /var/log directory. Do an
"ls" to see how many levels of backups of the logs are kept and rm all of the
backup log files.

Now that you have some room to play with....Here is something that I just
found on my server....
cd into /etc/logrotate.d
run this command as root:
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate

I was surprised to find that my logs were not being rotated because there were
duplicate config files (with different names) in the directory and logrotate
won't work until there are no duplicates. Just to be clear, it was the
contents of the files that were duplicated, not the file names. You will see an
error message when you manually run the logrotate command if you have this
problem.

Mark

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/20/2011 3:01 PM, Lisi wrote:

My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.

It contains everything else.

hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.

My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years. Now it has
suddenly filled up completely.

This thread has been going on too long Lisi. Let's get this fixed
already. Run these commands to see if you've run out of free space
or run out of inodes:

# df -h -x tmpfs
# df -i -h -x tmpfs

Please share the output.

This will also tell us the total size of your / filesystem. You stated
it ran at 30% for many years. From that we should be able to calculate
how much additional space you used recently to fill the filesystem, if
indeed you are actually out of free space. We can then go looking for
files of that size, or a dir of that size, and delete them/it.

If, on the other hand, you're out of inodes and not out of free space,
we will go looking for a directory that has filled up with many
thousands of small files, which is what eats inodes. Once located you
can delete the rogue directory.

--
Stan