FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Camaleón
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:05:38 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 15:47:22 Camaleón wrote:
>> Lisi, calm down and don't forget the good manners of sending plain text
>> formatted e-mails ;-)
>
> Sorry, Camaleón. :-( I *never* turn HTML on. I have it unticked. I
> simply don't know why KMail sometimes does, but I don't always know that
> it has done so until someone complains.

:-)

Kmail is a very good MUA, there has to be a "switch" you can toggle on to
instruct that all messages are by default formatted as text and not
"html" or "auto". That setting uses to be under mail compositing
preferences, but I can't be more precise about the exact place as now I
don't use Kmail.

> Yes, I am now tearing my hair out as well as panicking. :-( I *really*
> need this computer now. I deleted two very large thumbnails files - and
> it has made no difference whatsoever.

So you could finally log in?

If yes, just follow the advice you got from the other co-listers and also
from me to find out what file/folder is fulfilling your precious space.
But usually big files are located at "/var/log/*" so I would start from
there.

> I can't work from a live CD because no amount of trial and error or
> googling can tell me how to either change at the command line from a us
> to a uk keyboard or, alternatively, find the location of the %$&*"**
> pipe on a us keyboard so that I can press the right key.

Note that you don't need a LiveCD if you can log in as root. As per the
keyboard layout on this kind of media, usually you can select it at boot
time from the menu. At the bottom there are some presets already made
(screen resolution, keyboard layout...) but you can change that values,
although this varies from a LiveCD to other so YMMV.

A final note: when using a us keyboard layout with a non-us keyboard,
it's possible that you can get the pipe "|" symbol by pressing "shift+#",
but I have not tested O:-)

> I think I had better go and drink a large number of cups of tea.

Yep, that always helps to see the things "crystal-clear". Should you
still need further advice, simply tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.21.13.27.47@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.21.13.27.47@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 13:26:56 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> This thread has been going on too long Lisi. *Let's get this fixed
> already. * *Run these commands to see if you've run out of free space
> or run out of inodes:
>
> # df -h -x tmpfs
> # df -i -h -x tmpfs

Thanks, Stan. Your concern is much appreciated Mea culpa. I went to bed - I
was running out of matchsticks to use to hold my eyelids open - and have been
tied up all morning. I admit to having been somewhat swamped in knowing what
to try first!! When my attempt to use a live CD foundered on my less than
perfect knowledge of a US keyboard, I next tried GParted, which had also been
suggested. (I couldn't use the live CD because I couldn't find the pipe. I
now have, thanks to Dom. It is where the tilda is on my keyboard.)

Overnight I resized the / partition to take the rest of that hard drive. I
had used only half of it to leave room for a dual boot if I should ever want
one.

So now things are working again, but I would still like to know what went
wrong, and shall work through all the suggestions until either I solve what
went wrong or I run out of things to try.

Therefore:
Tux:/home/lisi# df -h -x tmpfs
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 73G 30G 41G 42% /
/dev/sda1 231G 38G 182G 17% /home
Tux:/home/lisi# df -i -h -x tmpfs
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 4.7M 171K 4.5M 4% /
/dev/sda1 15M 91K 15M 1% /home
Tux:/home/lisi#

So it wasn't inodes. 30 G was the size of the original partition, so it still
thinks that the 30G was all used up.

As I try the other things, I'll report back. If nothing else, it might be
useful to someone looking in the archives. It may, of course, remain one of
life's little mysteries.

I have learnt two things at least:
Keep an eye on your / partition and not just on /home. That too was filling
up, but I knew and did something about it.
Use Clonezilla or something - and set-selections, because you never know when
you may need to reinstall.

Many thanks to all of you. I really, really appreciate what you all did to
help me.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211442.45191.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211442.45191.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 14:27:47 Camaleón wrote:
> Kmail is a very good MUA, there has to be a "switch" you can toggle on to
> instruct that all messages are by default formatted as text and not
> "html" or "auto". That setting uses to be under mail compositing
> preferences, but I can't be more precise about the exact place as now I
> don't use Kmail.

There is, under Options, and I always toggle it to off. But it sometimes
resets itself. :-( Presumably it does not do this at random, but I haven't
yet found the cause. I had better ask on the Trinity list. Soemone there
may know.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211448.43064.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211448.43064.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Qua, 21 Set 2011, Lisi wrote:

So now things are working again, but I would still like to know what went
wrong, and shall work through all the suggestions until either I solve what
went wrong or I run out of things to try.


We cannot guess, not with only the vague information you've given us.
Some likely culprits (/var/log) have been noted, but only you can
confirm that.


Several ways of discovering big files and directories have been given.
Run them, and investigate the ones taking up more space.



--
Not everything worth doing is worth doing well.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 20110921105403.Horde.nFnwC8m_qOVOeex7iYQG6mA@mail. kalinowski.com.br">http://lists.debian.org/20110921105403.Horde.nFnwC8m_qOVOeex7iYQG6mA@mail. kalinowski.com.br
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 14:27:47 Camaleón wrote:
> As per the
> keyboard layout on this kind of media, usually you can select it at boot
> time from the menu. At the bottom there are some presets already made
> (screen resolution, keyboard layout...) but you can change that values,
> although this varies from a LiveCD to other so YMMV.
>
> A final note: when using a us keyboard layout with a non-us keyboard,
> it's possible that you can get the pipe "|" symbol by pressing "shift+#",
> but I have not tested O:-)

Thanks! Yes, that is correct on a UK keyboard. Dom told me, and I can confirm
it. I also found out how to change to a UK keyboard in mid stream. So, so
long as I manage to remember anything I have learnt, I now know how to use my
existing UK keyboard easily with a Live CD.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211454.31381.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211454.31381.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 14:54:03 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On Qua, 21 Set 2011, Lisi wrote:
> > So now things are working again, but I would still like to know what went
> > wrong,

> > ****and shall work through all the suggestions until either I solve
> > what went wrong or I run out of things to try.****
>
> We cannot guess, not with only the vague information you've given us.
> Some likely culprits (/var/log) have been noted, but only you can
> confirm that.
>
> Several ways of discovering big files and directories have been given.
> Run them, and investigate the ones taking up more space.

As you can see (stars above), I have already stated my intention of doing
exactly that. Noone is asking you to guess, and I have noted the suggestions
and already tried 4. 1 needs retrying now I have got a functional / again.
The others willl all be tried in turn.

And I have taken in that /var/log is a likely culprit. I tried to look at it
earlier from the safety of a live CD, but could not succeed because of the UK
keyboard problem (also now solved).

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211514.45684.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211514.45684.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Stan Hoeppner
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On 9/21/2011 9:14 AM, Lisi wrote:


And I have taken in that /var/log is a likely culprit.


Not necessarily. On a server /var/log is a likely culprit, but on a GUI
workstation I'd think /var/cache or /usr would be more likely, assuming
the problem is a hosed/misconfigured program. If the problem is the
result of an errant drag/drop the files causing the undue swelling could
be in any directory you had/have write access to.


# du -s -h /var
# du -s -h /var/log
# du -s -h /var/cache
# du -s -h /var/tmp
# du -s -h /lost+found
# du -s -h /root
# du -s -h /tmp
# du -s -h /usr

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4E79FFCF.6020603@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E79FFCF.6020603@hardwarefreak.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:16:31 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/21/2011 9:14 AM, Lisi wrote:
> > And I have taken in that /var/log is a likely culprit.
>
> Not necessarily. On a server /var/log is a likely culprit, but on a GUI
> workstation I'd think /var/cache or /usr would be more likely, assuming
> the problem is a hosed/misconfigured program. If the problem is the
> result of an errant drag/drop the files causing the undue swelling could
> be in any directory you had/have write access to.
>
> # du -s -h /var
> # du -s -h /var/log
> # du -s -h /var/cache
> # du -s -h /var/tmp
> # du -s -h /lost+found
> # du -s -h /root
> # du -s -h /tmp
> # du -s -h /usr

Thanks, Stan. /var/cache is large - but /usr is taking forever, so I shall
have to go away and come back later. I'll tell you what I find (those
archives!) - and shall be very cautious about what I delete!

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211634.52131.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211634.52131.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
S Scharf
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:16:31 Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 9/21/2011 9:14 AM, Lisi wrote:

> > And I have taken in that /var/log is a likely culprit.

>

> Not necessarily. *On a server /var/log is a likely culprit, but on a GUI

> workstation I'd think /var/cache or /usr would be more likely, assuming

> the problem is a hosed/misconfigured program. *If the problem is the

> result of an errant drag/drop the files causing the undue swelling could

> be in any directory you had/have write access to.

>

> # du -s -h /var

> # du -s -h /var/log

> # du -s -h /var/cache

> # du -s -h /var/tmp

> # du -s -h /lost+found

> # du -s -h /root

> # du -s -h /tmp

> # du -s -h /usr



Thanks, Stan. */var/cache is large - but /usr is taking forever, so I shall

have to go away and come back later. *I'll tell you what I find (those

archives!) - and shall be very cautious about what I delete!



Lisi





If it was a drag/drop then the fslint-gui should be able to find all of the duplicate files
(now that the system is working again)

Stuart
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Lisi
 
Default 100% used / file system. Help!

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:16:31 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/21/2011 9:14 AM, Lisi wrote:
> > And I have taken in that /var/log is a likely culprit.
>
> Not necessarily. On a server /var/log is a likely culprit, but on a GUI
> workstation I'd think /var/cache or /usr would be more likely, assuming
> the problem is a hosed/misconfigured program. If the problem is the
> result of an errant drag/drop the files causing the undue swelling could
> be in any directory you had/have write access to.
>
> # du -s -h /var
> # du -s -h /var/log
> # du -s -h /var/cache
> # du -s -h /var/tmp
> # du -s -h /lost+found
> # du -s -h /root
> # du -s -h /tmp
> # du -s -h /usr

/var/cache and /usr are 6 G between them, so are certainly not
small. /var/log is not very big at all. But that still doesn't explain the
jump. Perhaps I have started doing something differently without realising
it.

Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var
2.9G /var
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var/log
320M /var/log
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var/cache
2.3G /var/cache
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /var/tmp
43M /var/tmp
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /lost+found
16K /lost+found
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /root
3.4M /root
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /tmp
120K /tmp
Tux:/home/lisi# du -s -h /usr
3.7G /usr
Tux:/home/lisi#

I'll do some chatting to Google, and then at least reduce the size of anything
that serves no useful, or anyhow necessary, purpose.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109211639.45343.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201109211639.45343.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org