Old 09-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Scurz

Default CD reader doesn't read audio CDs

Hi,

I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a while...

So, I get this kind of errors :

sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[sr0] Add. Sense: Tracking servo failure
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Unhandled sense code
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Tracking servo failure
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

kernel: [26678.306267] sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Read
TOC/PMA/ATIP 43 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c 00

kernel: [26678.306277] sr: Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
kernel: [26678.306280] sr: Add. Sense: Tracking servo failure
kernel: [26678.432588] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
kernel: [26678.433188] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.20.0-ioctl (2011-02-02)
initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com

Nothing on the web has helped me to fix that !

My fstab :

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,auto defaults 0 0

I've even tried different configurations...

Thank you for your help!
Scurz

Archive: 4E74D2C9.5050801@snurf.info">http://lists.debian.org/4E74D2C9.5050801@snurf.info

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:03:05 -0400, Scurz wrote:

> I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
> reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a
> while...

By googling around I've found some reports (even a bug¹ for Debian) for
similar issues but what worries me is this line:

> So, I get this kind of errors :
>
> sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]

(...)

Have you tried to connect another CD/DVD player? I mean, another device,
just to discard you're facing a hardware problem.

¹http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583949

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Scurz

I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a
while...

By googling around I've found some reports (even a bug¹ for Debian) for
similar issues but what worries me is this line:

So, I get this kind of errors :

sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]

(...)

Have you tried to connect another CD/DVD player? I mean, another device,
just to discard you're facing a hardware problem.

¹http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583949

Greetings,

Thank you for your answer.

There's no issue in the bug report. They say "if you get this problem,
open a new report". I'm gonna do it.

Unfortunately, I have no other cd/dvd player to try and this problem is
on a laptop.

Thank you and I'll let you know if I manage to fix the errors with my
bug report.

If somebody else or you have any ideas to update a package or a
configuration file, let me know! Because I think I have tried everything.

Scurz

Archive: 4E77B15F.6010909@snurf.info">http://lists.debian.org/4E77B15F.6010909@snurf.info

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 20/09/11 07:17, Scurz wrote:
> On 18/09/11 05:24 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:03:05 -0400, Scurz wrote:
>>
>>> I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
>>> reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a
>>> while...
>> By googling around I've found some reports (even a bug¹ for Debian) for
>> similar issues but what worries me is this line:
>>
>>> So, I get this kind of errors :
>>>
>>> sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
>> (...)

<snipped>

> Scurz

I strongly suspect the "hardware problem" diagnosis is correct.

Try reseating the cable and/or replacing it.

Most likely (in my experience) it's a dying CD/DVD drive - unreadable
audio CDs, due to there more sensitive format are usually the first symptom.

Do you have problems reading the inner tracks of large data DVDs?

Cheers

--
"Always question authority, and demand the truth."
— Bill Hicks

Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM
"Mukherjee, Partha P"

I had the same problem. http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cdfs-src
saved me & my audio disk. ppm.

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. By messaging with Sender you consent to the foregoing.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:17:19 -0400, Scurz wrote:

> On 18/09/11 05:24 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:03:05 -0400, Scurz wrote:
>>
>>> I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
>>> reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a
>>> while...
>> By googling around I've found some reports (even a bug¹ for Debian) for
>> similar issues but what worries me is this line:
>>
>>> So, I get this kind of errors :
>>>
>>> sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
>> (...)
>>
>> Have you tried to connect another CD/DVD player? I mean, another
>> device, just to discard you're facing a hardware problem.
>>
>> ¹http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583949
>>

> Thank you for your answer.
>
> There's no issue in the bug report. They say "if you get this problem,
> open a new report". I'm gonna do it.

Yep, that's a good idea.

> Unfortunately, I have no other cd/dvd player to try and this problem is
> on a laptop.

Rremember that you can always borrow one and attach it to an external USB
case.

> Thank you and I'll let you know if I manage to fix the errors with my
> bug report.
>
> If somebody else or you have any ideas to update a package or a
> configuration file, let me know! Because I think I have tried
> everything.

You can try to load the CD-A using another application or test it with
another kernel version but that kind of "random" errors (you can read
data CDs but not CD-A) are not easy to debug.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Curt

On 2011-09-19, Scurz <sfantar@snurf.info> wrote:

> If somebody else or you have any ideas to update a package or a
> configuration file, let me know! Because I think I have tried everything.

I suffer from a similar problem to yours. I can read audio CDs but not
data CDs. DVDs I have yet to encounter a problem with.

I never did figure out, nor do I know of any way of figuring out,
whether it is a software or a hardware problem, though I would lean to
hardware. That said, my suppositions from the height of my towering
ignorance are often wrong.

This is of no help to you, of course, except within the narrow framework of the
adage, "Misery loves company."

Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Shams Fantar