Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Sthu Deus

Default 3D.rendering became slow since moved to wheezy.

Good time of the day.

I have slow 3D rendering on ATI card after full upgrading to wheezy.

Is there any strategy how I can investigate the bottle neck so that I
might file a bug report against it?

Thanks for Your time.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:04:35 +0700, Sthu wrote in message
<4e70ecd6.925ee30a.6e29.6a10@mx.google.com>:

> Good time of the day.
>
> I have slow 3D rendering on ATI card after full upgrading to wheezy.
>
> Is there any strategy how I can investigate the bottle neck so that I
> might file a bug report against it?
>
> Thanks for Your time.

..chk that you have linux-firmware-free and -non-free installed, and
KMS working, both upstream and Debian likes to weed out closed source
blobs and put them in -non-free packages, and at least the radeon
driver still depends on some of them for speed.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Arnt:

>> I have slow 3D rendering on ATI card after full upgrading to wheezy.
>>
>> Is there any strategy how I can investigate the bottle neck so that I
>> might file a bug report against it?
>>

>..chk that you have linux-firmware-free and -non-free installed, and
>KMS working, both upstream and Debian likes to weed out closed source
>blobs and put them in -non-free packages, and at least the radeon
>driver still depends on some of them for speed.

OK. That's what I have after the upgrade:

$ dpkg -l |grep firmware
ii firmware-linux-free 3
ii firmware-linux-nonfree 0.33

How I can find about KMS status?

Hmm. To me whole the problem is strange - I think there should be no 3D
or it should be at some little variable FPS change after the upgrade,
but it works as follows : from about 420 in Squeeze down to 60 Wheezy...

Therefore I want to find out the culprit - it worked and worked much
better than now but something drags it down.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:10:11 +0700, Sthu wrote in message
<4e71a4dd.87c9e30a.36a8.ffffbc18@mx.google.com>:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Arnt:
>
> >> I have slow 3D rendering on ATI card after full upgrading to
> >> wheezy.
> >>
> >> Is there any strategy how I can investigate the bottle neck so
> >> that I might file a bug report against it?
> >>

> >..chk that you have linux-firmware-free and -non-free installed, and
> >KMS working, both upstream and Debian likes to weed out closed source
> >blobs and put them in -non-free packages, and at least the radeon
> >driver still depends on some of them for speed.
>
> OK. That's what I have after the upgrade:
>
> $ dpkg -l |grep firmware
> ii firmware-linux-free 3
> ii firmware-linux-nonfree 0.33
>
> How I can find about KMS status?

..it's the default you get if you dunno what to do, the console goes
from old ugly 80x25 vga or whatever to nice 240x66 or whatever the
screen will support, and changes screen fonts in all my cases.

..if you need more info on KMS, google, I'm on the road.

> Hmm. To me whole the problem is strange - I think there should be no
> 3D or it should be at some little variable FPS change after the
> upgrade, but it works as follows : from about 420 in Squeeze down to
> 60 Wheezy...

..in glxgears? ;o)

..if you get 60fps with FlightGear-2.4, I'd say you have a successful
update.

> Therefore I want to find out the culprit - it worked and worked much
> better than now but something drags it down.

..only the glxgears fps rate, or is the desktop slower?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Arnt:

>> Hmm. To me whole the problem is strange - I think there should be no
>> 3D or it should be at some little variable FPS change after the
>> upgrade, but it works as follows : from about 420 in Squeeze down to
>> 60 Wheezy...
>
>..in glxgears? ;o)

Yes. Pardon, forgot to say.

>..if you get 60fps with FlightGear-2.4, I'd say you have a successful
>update.

I do not play the game. But my beloved OpenArena became a lot slower -
almost impossible to play w/ the fastest settings...

>> Therefore I want to find out the culprit - it worked and worked much
>> better than now but something drags it down.
>
>..only the glxgears fps rate, or is the desktop slower?

No. Desktop does not seem to be slower. - I tested in K/LX -DEs.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:30:46 +0700, Sthu wrote in message
<4e736bb0.45c8e30a.0d79.0402@mx.google.com>:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Arnt:
>
> >> Hmm. To me whole the problem is strange - I think there should be
> >> no 3D or it should be at some little variable FPS change after the
> >> upgrade, but it works as follows : from about 420 in Squeeze down
> >> to 60 Wheezy...
> >
> >..in glxgears? ;o)
>
> Yes. Pardon, forgot to say.
>
> >..if you get 60fps with FlightGear-2.4, I'd say you have a successful
> >update.
>
> I do not play the game. But my beloved OpenArena became a lot slower -
> almost impossible to play w/ the fastest settings...

..dunno OpenArena, to help investigate your problem, install and start
FlightGear-2.4 and chk the orange number in the lower right hand corner,
should match your screen refresh rate, just like glxgears and I _guess_
OpenArena too.

> >> Therefore I want to find out the culprit - it worked and worked
> >> much better than now but something drags it down.
> >
> >..only the glxgears fps rate, or is the desktop slower?
>
> No. Desktop does not seem to be slower. - I tested in K/LX -DEs.

..ok.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Take a look at the output of
glxgears -info
and
grep -i disabled /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Jörg-Volker:

>Take a look at the output of
> glxgears -info

Did not give me any idea:

Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.11
GL_VENDOR = X.Org R300 Project
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multisample GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_polygon_offset
GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_ARB_point_parameters
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters
GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_ARB_multitexture GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent
GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4
GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil
GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_occlusion_query
GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_texture_cube_map
GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_draw_buffers
GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ATI_draw_buffers
GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture GL_NV_primitive_restart
GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
GL_OES_read_format GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_OES_EGL_image GL_ARB_copy_buffer
GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_rg
GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra
GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_texture_swizzle
GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_NV_conditional_render
GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location
GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_provoking_vertex
GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_texture_snorm
GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_ARB_robustness
154 frames in 5.0 seconds = 30.777 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.996 FPS

> grep -i disabled /var/log/Xorg.0.log

This seems OK to me:

[ 239.146] (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
[ 239.163] (II) RADEON(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled
message.
[ 239.163] (--) RandR disabled

Do You have any ideas for the investigation?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Arnt:

>..dunno OpenArena, to help investigate your problem, install and start
>FlightGear-2.4 and chk the orange number in the lower right hand
>corner, should match your screen refresh rate, just like glxgears and
>I _guess_ OpenArena too.

I'm unlucky w/ it: ^)

$ /usr/games/fgfs
FGMultiplayMgr - No receiver port, Multiplayermode disabled
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
creating 3D noise texture... DONE
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:612: Context did not connect: Connection refused
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:612: Context did not connect: Connection refused
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
cards.pcm.center_lfe ALSA lib pcm.c:2212snd_pcm_open_noupdate)
Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957snd_pcm_dmix_open)
The dmix plugin supports only playback stream Cannot connect to server
socket err = No such file or directory Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Initializing Nasal Electrical System
Scaling image
'/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Textures.high/Signs/black.png' from
(4096,128) to (2048,128) Scaling image
'/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Textures.high/Signs/framed.png' from
(4096,128) to (2048,128) Scaling image
'/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Textures.high/Signs/yellow.png' from
(4096,128) to (2048,128) Scaling image
'/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Textures.high/Signs/red.png' from
(4096,128) to (2048,12

May we can use some utilities for the issue?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Hi,

Sthu Deus wrote, on 09/20/11 07:56:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Jörg-Volker:
>
>> Take a look at the output of
>> glxgears -info
>
> Did not give me any idea:
>
> Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
> approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
> GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
> GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.11

so hardware rendering is still used.
(By the way, glxgears is not good for any performance test or comparison.)

<snip>

>> grep -i disabled /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> This seems OK to me:
>
> [ 239.146] (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
> [ 239.163] (II) RADEON(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled
> message.
> [ 239.163] (--) RandR disabled
>
> Do You have any ideas for the investigation?

In case of problems, I would have expected something like "Direct rendering
disabled".

I see no clue for reduced performance here.
Does the output of

grep -E '((WW|EE))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

give some hints?

--