FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM
matpro_fhkoeln
 
Default Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I try to connect the Panasonic NV-GS500 over Firewire on Debian Squeeze,
but it seems that Debian doesn't identify the camera correctly.

root@pips04:/home/matpro# uname -a
Linux pips04.gm.fh-koeln.de 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 31 16:50:35
UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Camera connected, but off:

root@pips04:/home/matpro# dmesg | grep firewire
[ 1.183420] firewire_ohci 0000:16:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level,
low) -> IRQ 16
[ 1.253260] firewire_ohci: Added fw-ohci device 0000:16:00.0, OHCI
version 1.10
[ 1.539712] firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 000000000000163b,
S400

root@pips04:/home/matpro# ls -lh /dev/fw*
crw------- 1 root root 252, 0 10. Sep 02:45 /dev/fw0

root@pips04:/home/matpro# lsmod | grep firewire
firewire_sbp2 11530 0
firewire_ohci 19692 0
firewire_core 36880 2 firewire_sbp2,firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 1307 1 firewire_core
scsi_mod 126565 6
firewire_sbp2,usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata

Camera turned on in tape recording mode, Debian rebooted:

(loops)
root@pips04:/home/matpro# dmesg | grep firewire
[...]
[ 307.653206] firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 000000000000163b,
S400
[ 307.928610] firewire_core: skipped bus generations, destroying all nodes
[ 307.928620] firewire_core: Parent port inconsistency for node 0:
parent_count=1
[ 307.930210] firewire_core: topology build failed

(access now not possible)
root@pips04:/home/matpro# ls -lh /dev/fw*
ls: Zugriff auf /dev/fw* nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden

Do you have any hint or solution for this? I would be very pleased with
a quick response!

Thank you in advance,
regards,

matpro_fhkoeln@lavabit.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E6ABD66.3080404@lavabit.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E6ABD66.3080404@lavabit.com
 
Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 03:29:10 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln wrote:

> I try to connect the Panasonic NV-GS500 over Firewire on Debian Squeeze,
> but it seems that Debian doesn't identify the camera correctly.

(...)

Are you sure the camera allows to be put in DV mode (live video
recording) and dumping the content on-the-fly to the PC?

This usually works whe using manufacturer's windows based applications
but in linux maybe you need to first store the video in the camera and
then copy the files to the computer to edit/manage them :-?

What non-linear video application are you using to capture the data flow?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.10.12.01.26@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.10.12.01.26@gmail.com
 
Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
matpro_fhkoeln
 
Default Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

Hello Camaleón (and others!),

I tried to connect the camera over USB and it worked with streamer:

root@pips04:/home/matpro# streamer -o test_streamer.avi -f rgb24 -r 25
-t 0:10

But before you need to enter this:

root@pips04:/home/matpro# export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

Don't really know why this is necessary with Debian Squeeze (besides
that it is necessary...), should be done by the OS actually (bug?).
Some information for that connection method:

root@pips04:/home/matpro# dmesg
[...]
[ 173.173619] usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 3
[ 173.271599] usb 2-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=04da,
idProduct=231d
[ 173.271604] usb 2-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=3
[ 173.271608] usb 2-1.3: Product: DVC
[ 173.271611] usb 2-1.3: Manufacturer: Panasonic
[ 173.271613] usb 2-1.3: SerialNumber: 000011946045
[ 173.271749] usb 2-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 173.652873] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[ 173.715472] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device DVC (04da:231d)
[ 173.717269] input: DVC as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.3/2-1.3:1.0/input/input12
[ 173.717413] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[ 173.717419] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
[ 173.730212] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

root@pips04:/home/matpro# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04da:231d Panasonic (Matsushita) DVC Web Camera
Device
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 138a:0008 DigitalPersona, Inc
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0138 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Concerning FireWire connection, the Firewire port itself is working.

root@pips04:/home/matpro# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko
ls: Zugriff auf
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko nicht
möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
(can't find file or dir)

As I know, FireWire treatment changed in Debian Squeeze, so there is no
raw1394 module anymore.

root@pips04:/home/matpro# grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
CONFIG_FIREWIRE=m
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI=m
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_SBP2=m
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_NET=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_REMOTE_DMA is not set

So any further hints for successful FireWire connection?

Regards,

matpro_fhkoeln@lavabit.com

Am 10.09.2011 16:18, schrieb Camaleón:
> El 2011-09-10 a las 15:43 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln escribió:
>
> (resending to the list)
>
>> Am 10.09.2011 14:01, schrieb Camaleón:
>>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 03:29:10 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln wrote:
>>>
>>>> I try to connect the Panasonic NV-GS500 over Firewire on Debian Squeeze,
>>>> but it seems that Debian doesn't identify the camera correctly.
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Are you sure the camera allows to be put in DV mode (live video
>>> recording) and dumping the content on-the-fly to the PC?
>>>
>>> This usually works whe using manufacturer's windows based applications
>>> but in linux maybe you need to first store the video in the camera and
>>> then copy the files to the computer to edit/manage them :-?
>>>
>>> What non-linear video application are you using to capture the data flow?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>
>> Hello Camaleón,
>>
>> From the extract attached, this camera should be suitable, I think? What
>> do you mean exactly - is it possible that a camera works in that mode
>> using manufacturer's windows based applications but not in linux? I
>> thought the problem is something like the kernel doesn't recognize it
>> correctly, so it should work actually.
>
> Video cameras (as well as some DSC) may require for a specific way to
> handle data, so I would just first try to get the connection using the
> usual way: store the video in the media card and then copy/paste/import
> the files to your system. If the camera has an additional USB port, you
> can use it to get the files.
>
>> I'm trying it with dvgrab.
>>
>> root@pips04:/home/matpro# dvgrab test-
>> Error: no camera exists
>
> Maybe you should first check if your camera model is supported by
> dvgrab :-?
>
> This is from Kino "requirements" page:
>
> http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/3
>
> ***
> "The most important hardware item (at least if one considers the price)
> is the camcorder. Kino and dvgrab work only with Digital Video (DV) camcorders and
> compatible equipment (...)"
> ***
>
>> Additional information about the FireWire port:
>>
>> root@pips04:/home/matpro# lspci -vv
>> [...]
>> 16:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments XIO2200(A)
>> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>> Subsystem: Device 5678:1234
>> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
>> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>> Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
>> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
>> Latency: 32 (500ns min, 1000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
>> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
>> Region 0: Memory at fb204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>> Region 1: Memory at fb200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
>> PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold-)
>> Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME+
>> Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
>
> That indicates your firewire port is detected by the kernel. Can you
> try to attach another ieee1394 peripheral (i.e., an external hdd case)
> and check if it works?
>
> In additional, check if you have the required kernel module to grab the
> data:
>
> ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko
> grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
>
> Greetings,


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E6CA356.7050507@lavabit.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E6CA356.7050507@lavabit.com
 
Old 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Debian Squeeze problem with firewire_core (DV camera over FireWire)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:02:30 +0200, matpro_fhkoeln wrote:

> Hello Camaleón (and others!),
>
> I tried to connect the camera over USB and it worked with streamer:
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# streamer -o test_streamer.avi -f rgb24 -r 25
> -t 0:10

Ah, good! :-)

> But before you need to enter this:
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# export
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
>
> Don't really know why this is necessary with Debian Squeeze (besides
> that it is necessary...), should be done by the OS actually (bug?).

IIRC this also needs to be done with some applications, like Skype, to
get video working, but dunno why, though.

> Some information for that connection method:

(...)

Looks good. The camera is detected and configured as UVC device.

> Concerning FireWire connection, the Firewire port itself is working.
>
> root@pips04:/home/matpro# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko ls: Zugriff auf
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko nicht
> möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (can't find file or dir)

(tip: you can append LANG=POSIX for getting messages in English instead
of your usual language)

Mmm... it is there in Lenny.

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46435 Jun 13 20:48 /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/raw1394.ko

> As I know, FireWire treatment changed in Debian Squeeze, so there is no
> raw1394 module anymore.

Ah, that can be then the origin of your problem.

But I wonder why the module has been removed or what a user needs to do
in Squeeze to setup the camera via firewire port :-?

> root@pips04:/home/matpro# grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_DEBUG=y
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_SBP2=m
> CONFIG_FIREWIRE_NET=m
> # CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set
> # CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_REMOTE_DMA is not set
>
> So any further hints for successful FireWire connection?

This is from lenny:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -e FIREWIRE -e IEEE1394 /boot/config*
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_PCILYNX=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2_PHYS_DMA is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394_ROM_ENTRY=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_DV1394=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_VERBOSEDEBUG is not set

Mmm, looks very different. Sorry, I can't be of any help here, but just
found this forum thread where people talked about this, maybe you find
something useful there:

DV capture stopped working in Debian Squeeze
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59493

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.11.15.17.12@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.11.15.17.12@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org