Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Default nano and color

Hi,

When using nano on a Squeeze system and I open a file with name.sh I will
see color coded script Lines. When I open a file line name.xxx with the same
content there is no color coding.
On a Lenny system I never have color coding.
1) Where is this behaviour defined on my Squeeze system?
2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?

Bonno Bloksma

Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Mark Neyhart

> When using nano on a Squeeze system and I open a file with name.sh I will
> see color coded script Lines. When I open a file line name.xxx with the same
> content there is no color coding.
> On a Lenny system I never have color coding.
> 1) Where is this behaviour defined on my Squeeze system?
> 2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?

On my lenny system there is a file called /etc/nanorc. If you
uncomment the line which looks like

# include "/usr/share/nano/sh.nanorc"

so it looks like

include "/usr/share/nano/sh.nanorc"

you should get syntax highlighting for files with the .sh extension.
Highlighting for other languages can be enabled in the same way.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

1) Where is this behaviour defined on my Squeeze system?

I think it's in nano core

2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?

It it's up to you nano version. The one in Squeeze supports colors.

--
RMA.

Archive: 4E69B92A.9010306@rktmb.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E69B92A.9010306@rktmb.org

Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

1) Where is this behaviour defined on my Squeeze system?
2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?

Google with "ano color syntax":
http://is.gd/eMmvu8

--
RMA.

Archive: 4E69B968.3000304@rktmb.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E69B968.3000304@rktmb.org

Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:22:43 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> When using nano on a Squeeze system and I open a file with name.sh I
> will see color coded script Lines. When I open a file line name.xxx with
> the same content there is no color coding.
> On a Lenny system I never have color coding. 1) Where is this behaviour
> defined on my Squeeze system? 2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?

To apply the changes system wide (to all of the users) you can uncomment
the required lines of "/etc/nanonrc" (scroll-down, it's at the bottom),
for instance:

## Bourne shell scripts
include "/usr/share/nano/sh.nanorc"

That will highlight ".sh" files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Simon Tibble

On 08/09/11 20:22, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When using nano on a Squeeze system and I open a file with name.sh I will
> see color coded script Lines. When I open a file line name.xxx with the same
> content there is no color coding.
> On a Lenny system I never have color coding.
> 1) Where is this behaviour defined on my Squeeze system?
> 2) Can I enable it on my Lenny systems?
>
> Bonno Bloksma

I am not fully aware of the details regarding nano(1) operation, and I
believe the secret lies in the configuration files which reside in
/usr/share/nano/ that may be referenced from /etc/nanorc.

You may also learn more from manpage nanorc(5).

I have copied the files from one system to another using scp(1) previously.

--
Simon Tibble
simon@tibble.net