Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Default tmux conf stuck

I *know* I'm missing something obvious here...

Debian squeeze, XFCE, up-to-date

Trying out tmux (stock version installed via aptitude)... Didn't like
C-b as the the escape key, so tried backtick as I've used with GNU
screen...

~/.tmux.conf
unbind C-b
set -g prefix `

Backtick worked fine in tmux, except that I could not figure out how to
send a backtick to an application. Double backtick, as works in screen,
didn't work, nor did any other escape strategy I could think of.

So... on to other tmux options. I changed ~/.tmux.conf to use C-a.

~/.tmux.conf
unbind C-b
set -g prefix C-a

Ctrl-A didn't work, but backtick still did!

-I tried to put an obvious error in ~/.tmux.conf... undetected by tmux.
-I tried inserting an "unbind `" into ~/.tmux.conf... backtick tick
works.
-I tried deleting ~/.tmux.conf... backtick still works!
-I tried tmux -f tmuxconf, where tmuxconf enables C-a... backtick still
works!!
-I tried removing .screenrc, in case tmux looked at it... backtick still
works!!!
-I tried turning swap off... no change.
-Nothing obvious in the environment, or /tmp.

So... why can I not get rid of the ghost of the old ~/.tmux.conf???

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Ivan Shmakov

[…]

> Ctrl-A didn't work, but backtick still did!

> -I tried to put an obvious error in ~/.tmux.conf... undetected by tmux.
> -I tried inserting an "unbind `" into ~/.tmux.conf... backtick tick
> works.
> -I tried deleting ~/.tmux.conf... backtick still works!

[…]

> -Nothing obvious in the environment, or /tmp.

I'm not familiar with tmux, but did you look at $ ps x?

--
FSF associate member #7257 Coming soon: Software Freedom Day

Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Allan Wind

I use C-a as a prefix so I would expect it to work for you as
well (screen hard-coded that into my fingers). However I do not
have the unbind C-b in my config, and C-b does not work so try
leave it out.

Venturing a guess that you still have a tmux process sitting
around using the old configuration. Make sure you exit it.
Double check with ps.

Here is my configuration in case it helps you:

bind + resize-pane -U 1
bind - resize-pane -D 1
bind : command-prompt
bind < resize-pane -L 1
bind > resize-pane -R 1
bind s split-window -v
bind v split-window -h
set -g history-limit 100000
set -g prefix C-a
setw -g mode-keys vi

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Bjrn Michelsen

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 09:31:33AM -0700, debian@waysoft.com wrote:

Hey there,

> Trying out tmux (stock version installed via aptitude)... Didn't like
> C-b as the the escape key, so tried backtick as I've used with GNU
> screen...
>
> ~/.tmux.conf
> unbind C-b
> set -g prefix `
>
> Backtick worked fine in tmux, except that I could not figure out how to
> send a backtick to an application. Double backtick, as works in screen,
> didn't work, nor did any other escape strategy I could think of.
>
> So... on to other tmux options. I changed ~/.tmux.conf to use C-a.
>
> ~/.tmux.conf
> unbind C-b
> set -g prefix C-a
>
> Ctrl-A didn't work, but backtick still did!
>
> -I tried to put an obvious error in ~/.tmux.conf... undetected by tmux.
> -I tried inserting an "unbind `" into ~/.tmux.conf... backtick tick
> works.
> -I tried deleting ~/.tmux.conf... backtick still works!
> -I tried tmux -f tmuxconf, where tmuxconf enables C-a... backtick still
> works!!
> -I tried removing .screenrc, in case tmux looked at it... backtick still
> works!!!
> -I tried turning swap off... no change.
> -Nothing obvious in the environment, or /tmp.
>
> So... why can I not get rid of the ghost of the old ~/.tmux.conf???

You can reload the configuration without needing to kill the server.
What happens if, inside tmux, you do a

tmux source-file ~/.tmux.conf

?

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen

Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 04:46:33 +0200
Bjrn Michelsen <bjorn@bmichelsen.no> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 09:31:33AM -0700, debian@waysoft.com wrote:
> > So... why can I not get rid of the ghost of the old ~/.tmux.conf???
>
> You can reload the configuration without needing to kill the server.
> What happens if, inside tmux, you do a
>
> tmux source-file ~/.tmux.conf

Yep, another good one. Thanks, Bjorn.