FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Gary Golden
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

Hello list.

After recent update gnome started to duplicate messages not only with a
popup, but also in small icon, which holds all passed notifications.
To remove it I have to click on the icon and then "Clear all
notifications". I think people who get this as well understand.

How can I remove it?
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:36:44 +0600, Gary Golden wrote:

> After recent update gnome started to duplicate messages not only with a
> popup, but also in small icon, which holds all passed notifications. To
> remove it I have to click on the icon and then "Clear all
> notifications". I think people who get this as well understand.
>
> How can I remove it?

Mmm, a similar question was posted to the Spanish mailing lists just a
few minutes ago, what a coincidence!

I would ckeck if this helps:

[SOLVED] Any way to turn off Gnome 3 notifications stack?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118386

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.08.14.31.12@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.08.14.31.12@gmail.com
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Gary Golden
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On 09/08/2011 08:31 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> I would ckeck if this helps:
>
> [SOLVED] Any way to turn off Gnome 3 notifications stack?
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118386

That solution mentioned
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-fallback.session file, which is
found in gnome-session-fallback package.
But it's in experimental repository, and I would not use it, I'm on testing.

Do you know by any chance which package controls this behavior?
Knowing the package name I can look around and possibly find a solution.
 
Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 20:52:23 +0600, Gary Golden wrote:

> On 09/08/2011 08:31 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> I would ckeck if this helps:
>>
>> [SOLVED] Any way to turn off Gnome 3 notifications stack?
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118386
>
> That solution mentioned
> /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-fallback.session file, which is
> found in gnome-session-fallback package. But it's in experimental
> repository, and I would not use it, I'm on testing.

Uh? I'm also in testing but I've not seen that annoying notifications,
just the usual ones.

Are you using gnome-shell? :-?

> Do you know by any chance which package controls this behavior? Knowing
> the package name I can look around and possibly find a solution.

AFAIK, notifications are integrated within the window manager but maybe
thereis a way to control how they look by means of "dconf-editor" or the
old "gconf".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.08.15.12.56@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.08.15.12.56@gmail.com
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:12:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 20:52:23 +0600, Gary Golden wrote:

(...)

>> Do you know by any chance which package controls this behavior? Knowing
>> the package name I can look around and possibly find a solution.
>
> AFAIK, notifications are integrated within the window manager but maybe
> thereis a way to control how they look by means of "dconf-editor" or the
> old "gconf".

Oh, my... I just perfomed a system upgrade and now I can see what you
meant my "annoying"... what the hell is "that"? I get two alerts: one on
the top-right screen (black balloon) and a system tray icon that looks
like "gedit" icon ¿? X-D

Okay, just in case this can be of any help, in the Spanish mailing list a
user has reported that by removing "notification-daemon" package and
installing "notify-osd" things seem going back to "normal" but I still
have not tested, I'm looking for a way to restore the look & feel of the
old notifier.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.09.08.16.27.53@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.09.08.16.27.53@gmail.com
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Gary Golden
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On 09/08/2011 10:27 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> Oh, my... I just perfomed a system upgrade and now I can see what you
> meant my "annoying"... what the hell is "that"? I get two alerts: one on
> the top-right screen (black balloon) and a system tray icon that looks
> like "gedit" icon ¿? X-D
Indeed, that what I meant

> Okay, just in case this can be of any help, in the Spanish mailing list a
> user has reported that by removing "notification-daemon" package and
> installing "notify-osd" things seem going back to "normal" but I still
> have not tested, I'm looking for a way to restore the look & feel of the
> old notifier.
I'm going to try this out. Will keep you updated.
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Gary Golden
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

On 09/08/2011 10:27 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> Okay, just in case this can be of any help, in the Spanish mailing list a
> user has reported that by removing "notification-daemon" package and
> installing "notify-osd" things seem going back to "normal" but I still
> have not tested, I'm looking for a way to restore the look & feel of the
> old notifier.
Well, gnome-core 2.3 depends upon notification-daemon
It cannot be removed without going to experimental.

Whatever, I'm going to upgrade some gnome packages to experimental.
This way there won't be 2.3 and 3.0 at the same time.
Let's see what will happen.
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Gary Golden
 
Default Remove annoying Gnome 3 notifications

Oops.
notify-osd replaces notification-daemon, so no need to upgrade gnome.

Indeed, annoying notification stack dissapeared, and *much nicer*
notifications started to show up. In, other words it works!
Thanks you for head up with the spanish mailing list.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org