Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Sudev Barar

Default how to keep the internet awak

On 07-Sep-2011 5:48 PM, "lina" <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> when I left the desk, I mainly just lock the screen.

> suppose I left 2 hours, when I came back,

> I used to need press the "power" button to wake it up, mouse and

> keyboard does not work.

> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so

> I just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.

> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.

from what you are describing it seems that first you need to address problem of your hardware going to sleep/ hibernate

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

http://www.google.com/search?q=ssh+keepalive

--
RMA.

Archive: 4E6767EB.2090100@rktmb.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E6767EB.2090100@rktmb.org

Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
lina

>> when I left the desk, I mainly just lock the screen.
>>
>> suppose I left 2 hours, when I came back,
>>
>> I used to need press the "power" button to wake it up, mouse and
>> keyboard does not work.
>>
>> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so
>> I just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.
>>
>> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.
>>
> from what you are describing it seems that first you need to address problem
> of your hardware going to sleep/ hibernate

I don't know how they get to sleep. seems very natural once I left. I
never set up anything specially.

--
Best Regards,

lina

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:17:24 +0800, lina wrote:

> when I left the desk, I mainly just lock the screen.
>
> suppose I left 2 hours, when I came back,
>
> I used to need press the "power" button to wake it up, mouse and
> keyboard does not work.

This can be the first of your problems: restoring from suspension/
hibernation fails, you should dig a bit more on this and why it happens
so.

> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so I
> just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.
>
> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.

Hum... how do you close the terminal if your system stopped responding to
mouse and keyboard events? Locally, remotely...? It is not clear to me if
the underlying problem is about system restore or network connection :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:17:24 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> when I left the desk, I mainly just lock the screen.
>>
>> suppose I left 2 hours, when I came back,
>>
>> I used to need press the "power" button to wake it up, mouse and
>> keyboard does not work.
>
> This can be the first of your problems: restoring from suspension/
> hibernation fails, you should dig a bit more on this and why it happens
> so.

I will try.

>> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so I
>> just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.
>>
>> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.
>
> Hum... how do you close the terminal if your system stopped responding to
> mouse and keyboard events? Locally, remotely...? It is not clear to me if
> the underlying problem is about system restore or network connection :-)

Once I pressed the power button,
I came into the interface after input the password to unlock the screen.

so the frozen ssh there, I clicked the "close window" - the tilted
cross, which was near the minimization and maximization one.

so the whole was connected.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> On 09/07/2011 03:17 PM, lina wrote:
>
>> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so
>> I just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.
>> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.
>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=ssh+keepalive

Thanks,

I checked my /etc/ssh

I have ssh_config and sshd_config

I will try this one even I don't know what does the TCP mean below.
ssh -o TCPKeepAlive=yes user@some.host.com

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Sudev Barar <sbarar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07-Sep-2011 6:31 PM, "lina" <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Sudev Barar <sbarar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > from what you are describing it seems that first you need to address
>> > problem
>> > of your hardware going to sleep/ hibernate
>>
>> I don't know how they get to sleep. seems very natural once I left. I
>> never set up anything specially.
>>

> Look at the power settings in BIOS.

Sorry, I don't know how, can you be more specific?

Thanks,

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:29:42 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.
>>
>> Hum... how do you close the terminal if your system stopped responding
>> to mouse and keyboard events? Locally, remotely...? It is not clear to
>> me if the underlying problem is about system restore or network
>> connection :-)
>
> Once I pressed the power button,
> I came into the interface after input the password to unlock the screen.

Okay...

Mmm... can you rephrase this? I can't understand what are you saying :-?

> I clicked the "close window" - the tilted cross, which was near the
> minimization and maximization one.
>
> so the whole was connected.

I still fail to see the main problem, sorry, I must have a bad day :-)

I understand that you hibernate the computer and when restoring your
session... what fails? ssh connection? keyboard, mouse? All of the above?
The more specific you be in describing the situation, the better.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:17:24 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> when I left the desk, I mainly just lock the screen.
>>
>> suppose I left 2 hours, when I came back,
>>
>> I used to need press the "power" button to wake it up, mouse and
>> keyboard does not work.
>
> This can be the first of your problems: restoring from suspension/
> hibernation fails, you should dig a bit more on this and why it happens
> so.

I remember this appeared around one month ago after updating.

Right now I tried the suspend and the hibernation (I wasted those two
functions for decades, might tried once or twice in the past).

The lock screen after two hours exactly the same as suspension. when
pressed the power button, back to the locked screen. (other keys and
mouse not work.)
the hibernation is dangerous, seems the system restarted, but came to
the former interface.

I don't know how to dig further.

>> and the connection (ssh) to some other places used to choke there, so I
>> just close the terminal. and re-ssh again.
>>
>> How can I keep the connection (ssh) awake when I left the desk.
>
> Hum... how do you close the terminal if your system stopped responding to
> mouse and keyboard events? Locally, remotely...? It is not clear to me if
> the underlying problem is about system restore or network connection :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:29:42 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> Hum... how do you close the terminal if your system stopped responding
>>> to mouse and keyboard events? Locally, remotely...? It is not clear to
>>> me if the underlying problem is about system restore or network
>>> connection :-)
>>
>> Once I pressed the power button,
>> I came into the interface after input the password to unlock the screen.
>
> Okay...
>
>> so the frozen ssh there,
>
> Mmm... can you rephrase this? I can't understand what are you saying :-?
>
>> I clicked the "close window" - the tilted cross, which was near the
>> minimization and maximization one.
>>
>> so the whole was connected.
>
> I still fail to see the main problem, sorry, I must have a bad day :-)
>
> I understand that you hibernate the computer and when restoring your
> session... what fails? ssh connection? keyboard, mouse? All of the above?
> The more specific you be in describing the situation, the better.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,