Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Lina

Default how to keep the internet awak

On Sep 8, 2011, at 0:14, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The "ex" letter?
>>>
>>> It's a plain "x" in uppercase, available in almost any latin based
>>> keyboard in the world.
>>
>> How UNBEARABLE silly I am.
>> I thought it's a multiply sign,
>> mathematic sign, like *.
>> so I have never know how to type it.
>
> :-D
>
> It's a common smily sign, ascii based. There is a more sophisticated
> version of the symbol that uses unicode: ☺

I kept on laughing myself.

On one of my former email I didn't know how to type X to describe the close of the window. I was so serious and I describe it as "tilted cross". Honestly I even thought of google out and paste there. Later when I saw you typed X, I amazedly thought it's some advanced trick, so I suggested to "except copy and paste". On that email I copied and pasted your "X". God, it's going to be my annual joke. Before when I need input 2x3 I used to type as 2*3.
How can X be X ?

This time seriously again, I don't know how to input the ☺ except copying yours.

>>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>> Just right now know what does the dhcp mean.
>
> He, he... good ;-)
>
> But IP should not change unless network service goes down and up again
> (or unless DHCP server forces a renew of the IP ever "x" time based on
> its policy) so there is still the question on why the network is
> restarted.

I don't know. Might suspend reason?

I use cable. No wireless

>>> And now what's the problem? He, he... this is getting crazy ;-D
>>
>> Right now I used "who" in the remote one,
>>
>> there were three "me" still connecting. but the truth is the only one
>> "me" connecting. but other "two" are the two non-respond ones.
>
> Maybe the other sessions that were dropped?
>
>> is it possible due to the server (cluster) setting problem?
>
> Dunno, but if network service went down while you were logged remotely,
> the ssh instances were not properly closed and they could have been kept
> in background :-?

Possible.

>> seems very trouble,
>> I guess I can accept the ssh again when it's timed out.

Thanks again, Btw, what does the expression X-) refers to? Different smile?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 01:53:03 +0800, Lina wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 0:14, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> It's a common smily sign, ascii based. There is a more sophisticated
>> version of the symbol that uses unicode: ☺
>
> I kept on laughing myself.
>
> On one of my former email I didn't know how to type X to describe the
> close of the window. I was so serious and I describe it as "tilted
> cross". Honestly I even thought of google out and paste there. Later
> when I saw you typed X, I amazedly thought it's some advanced trick, so
> I suggested to "except copy and paste". On that email I copied and
> pasted your "X". God, it's going to be my annual joke. Before when I
> need input 2x3 I used to type as 2*3. How can X be X ?
>
> This time seriously again, I don't know how to input the ☺ except
> copying yours.

The unicode character can be made in GNOME by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+u" and
then release the three keys. That will render an underline "u". Now you
only need to type the secuence of characters to get the desired symbol,
i.e., the unicode secunce for the smilye is "0x263a", so:

Ctrl+Shift+u [release the keys] 0x263a [press enter]

There are some sites holding big lists of unicode characters, like
wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

>> But IP should not change unless network service goes down and up again
>> (or unless DHCP server forces a renew of the IP ever "x" time based on
>> its policy) so there is still the question on why the network is
>> restarted.
>
> I don't know. Might suspend reason?
>
> I use cable. No wireless

(...)

Mmm, suspension should not trigger a shutdown or restart of the network
service >:-?

> Thanks again, Btw, what does the expression X-) refers to? Different
> smile?

Yes. You can review the full symbology and its meaning in this wikipedia
article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Siard

Camalen wrote:
> There are some sites holding big lists of unicode characters, like
> wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

IMO, gucharmap is a great application for this.