Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
lina

Default how to keep the internet awak

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:29:42 +0800, lina wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)

>>> Once I pressed the power button,
>>> I came into the interface after input the password to unlock the screen.
>>
>> Okay...
>>
>>> so the frozen ssh there,
>>
>> Mmm... can you rephrase this? I can't understand what are you saying :-?
>>
>>> I clicked the "close window" - the tilted cross, which was near the
>>> minimization and maximization one.
>>>
>>> so the whole was connected.
>>
>> I still fail to see the main problem, sorry, I must have a bad day :-)
>>
>> I understand that you hibernate the computer and when restoring your
>> session... what fails? ssh connection? keyboard, mouse? All of the above?
>> The more specific you be in describing the situation, the better.
only the ssh connection.

before I $ ssh pineapple

two hours later
[username@pineapple ~]$

in this terminal, no response towards me.

but seems the problem has been solved after trying the ssh -o TPKkeepAlive=yes

Thanks,

no more further questions except is it normal to restore from suspend
by pressing the power button right? no other keys for it, right?

thanks again,

--
Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:20:06 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This can be the first of your problems: restoring from suspension/
>> hibernation fails, you should dig a bit more on this and why it happens
>> so.
>
> I remember this appeared around one month ago after updating.
>
> Right now I tried the suspend and the hibernation (I wasted those two
> functions for decades, might tried once or twice in the past).
>
> The lock screen after two hours exactly the same as suspension. when
> pressed the power button, back to the locked screen. (other keys and
> mouse not work.)
> the hibernation is dangerous, seems the system restarted, but came to
> the former interface.
>
> I don't know how to dig further.

And what's your goal? I mean, do you need suspension and hibernation
working? Just suspension? Just hibernation? And what's the relation
between this and keeping internet up?

Please, clarify a bit what's the main problem :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:28:52 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> I understand that you hibernate the computer and when restoring your
>>> session... what fails? ssh connection? keyboard, mouse? All of the
>>> above? The more specific you be in describing the situation, the
>>> better.
> only the ssh connection.
>
> before I $ ssh pineapple
>
> two hours later
> [username@pineapple ~]$
>
> in this terminal, no response towards me.
>
> but seems the problem has been solved after trying the ssh -o
> TPKkeepAlive=yes

Ah, so it finally was a "timeout" problem? Good.

> no more further questions except is it normal to restore from suspend by
> pressing the power button right? no other keys for it, right?

Power button is the usual for restoring from hibernation but there can be
others... I think this is defined by ACPI, look:

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
PEG S5 disabled pci:0000:00:01.0
PEX S5 disabled
LAN S5 disabled pci:0000:00:19.0
USB4 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1a.0
USB5 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1a.1
USB7 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1a.2
ESB2 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1a.7
EXP1 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
PXHA S5 disabled pci:0000:05:00.0
EXP5 S5 disabled
USB1 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
USB2 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.1
USB3 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.2
USB6 S5 disabled
ESB1 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.7
PCIB S5 disabled pci:0000:00:1e.0
KBC0 S1 disabled pnp:00:07
MSE0 S1 disabled pnp:00:08
COM1 S5 disabled pnp:00:09
COM2 S5 disabled pnp:00:0a
PWRB S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:00.0

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:20:06 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> This can be the first of your problems: restoring from suspension/
>>> hibernation fails, you should dig a bit more on this and why it happens
>>> so.
>>
>> I remember this appeared around one month ago after updating.
>>
>> Right now I tried the suspend and the hibernation (I wasted those two
>> functions for decades, might tried once or twice in the past).
>>
>> The lock screen after two hours exactly the same as suspension. when
>> pressed the power button, back to the locked screen. (other keys and
>> mouse not work.)
>> the hibernation is dangerous, seems the system restarted, but came to
>> the former interface.
>>
>> I don't know how to dig further.
>
> And what's your goal? I mean, do you need suspension and hibernation
> working? Just suspension? Just hibernation? And what's the relation
> between this and keeping internet up?

no need suspend and hibernation working.

if possible may wish the lock screen can prolong, not come to suspend.
but seems you send so many ??, so just please forget about it.

> Please, clarify a bit what's the main problem :-)

The problem has been solved.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 02:59 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:28:52 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>> only the ssh connection.
>>
>> before I $ ssh pineapple
>>
>> two hours later
>> [username@pineapple ~]$
>>
>> in this terminal, no response towards me.
>>
>> but seems the problem has been solved after trying the ssh -o
>> TPKkeepAlive=yes
>
> Ah, so it finally was a "timeout" problem? Good.

seems not a "timeout" issue.

Sorry I got a pretty tense day. Right now I dearly wished the problem
was solved.
but seems not that case.

In the connection like ssh pineapple
[username@pineapple ~]$
The icon still shinning there, but I can't input anything, no matter
ls or exit, Ctrl-c

or something like "$ Write failed: Broken pipe"
when I ssh by another terminal, I checked the connection is still there,

but the IP is different. Even ssh from the same desktop.

$ who | grep lina
early time (172.21.49.176)
right now (172.21.50.129)

the earlier one was the testing of hibernation and suspend.

I guess it might due to the suspend, the IP of my laptop has changed.
so something happened.

>> no more further questions except is it normal to restore from suspend by
>> pressing the power button right? no other keys for it, right?
>
> Power button is the usual for restoring from hibernation but there can be
> others... I think this is defined by ACPI, look:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
> Device *S-state * Status * Sysfs node
> PEG * * * S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:01.0
> PEX * * * S5 * * disabled
> LAN * * * S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:19.0
> USB4 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1a.0
> USB5 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1a.1
> USB7 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1a.2
> ESB2 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1a.7
> EXP1 * * *S4 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1c.0
> PXHA * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:05:00.0
> EXP5 * * *S5 * * disabled
> USB1 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1d.0
> USB2 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1d.1
> USB3 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1d.2
> USB6 * * *S5 * * disabled
> ESB1 * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1d.7
> PCIB * * *S5 * * disabled *pci:0000:00:1e.0
> KBC0 * * *S1 * * disabled *pnp:00:07
> MSE0 * * *S1 * * disabled *pnp:00:08
> COM1 * * *S5 * * disabled *pnp:00:09
> COM2 * * *S5 * * disabled *pnp:00:0a
> PWRB * * *S3 * **enabled * pci:0000:00:00.0
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:59:02 +0800, lina wrote:

>>> but seems the problem has been solved after trying the ssh -o
>>> TPKkeepAlive=yes
>>
>> Ah, so it finally was a "timeout" problem? Good.
>
> seems not a "timeout" issue.
>
> Sorry I got a pretty tense day. Right now I dearly wished the problem
> was solved.
> but seems not that case.

Don't worry X-)

> In the connection like ssh pineapple
> [username@pineapple ~]$
> The icon still shinning there, but I can't input anything, no matter ls
> or exit, Ctrl-c
>
> or something like "$ Write failed: Broken pipe" when I ssh by another
> terminal, I checked the connection is still there,
>
> but the IP is different. Even ssh from the same desktop.
>
> $ who | grep lina
> early time (172.21.49.176)
> right now (172.21.50.129)
>
> the earlier one was the testing of hibernation and suspend.
>
> I guess it might due to the suspend, the IP of my laptop has changed. so
> something happened.

Are you using dhcp? If yes, this can be the cause of the IP change, just
use static IP addressing or connect to the machine by using its hostname.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ah, so it finally was a "timeout" problem? Good.
>>
>> seems not a "timeout" issue.
>>
>> Sorry I got a pretty tense day. Right now I dearly wished the problem
>> was solved.
>> but seems not that case.
>
> Don't worry X-)

How did you type the X in email except copy and paste?

>> In the connection like ssh pineapple
>> [username@pineapple ~]$
>> The icon still shinning there, but I can't input anything, no matter ls
>> or exit, Ctrl-c
>>
>> or something like "$ Write failed: Broken pipe" when I ssh by another
>> terminal, I checked the connection is still there,
>>
>> but the IP is different. Even ssh from the same desktop.
>>
>> $ who | grep lina
>> *early time (172.21.49.176)
>> *right now (172.21.50.129)
>>
>> *the earlier one was the testing of hibernation and suspend.
>>
>> I guess it might due to the suspend, the IP of my laptop has changed. so
>> something happened.
>
> Are you using dhcp? If yes, this can be the cause of the IP change, just
No idea.
> use static IP addressing or connect to the machine by using its hostname.
I connect using the hostname.

Weird, I noticed someone else who can connect the cluster for days
without drop out.

and most weird is that couple of months ago, I barely noticed there is
such problem, just recent so often.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:26:50 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry I got a pretty tense day. Right now I dearly wished the problem
>>> was solved.
>>> but seems not that case.
>>
>> Don't worry X-)
>
> How did you type the X in email except copy and paste?

The "ex" letter?

It's a plain "x" in uppercase, available in almost any latin based
keyboard in the world.

(...)

>>> but the IP is different. Even ssh from the same desktop.
>>>
>>> $ who | grep lina
>>> *early time (172.21.49.176)
>>> *right now (172.21.50.129)
>>>
>>> *the earlier one was the testing of hibernation and suspend.
>>>
>>> I guess it might due to the suspend, the IP of my laptop has changed.
>>> so something happened.
>>
>> Are you using dhcp? If yes, this can be the cause of the IP change,
>> just
> No idea.

You don't know what kind of networking system type is your computer
using? >:-?

cat /etc/network/interfaces

>> use static IP addressing or connect to the machine by using its
>> hostname.
> I connect using the hostname.

Then you shouldn't worry about the IP change :-?

> Weird, I noticed someone else who can connect the cluster for days
> without drop out.
>
> and most weird is that couple of months ago, I barely noticed there is
> such problem, just recent so often.

And now what's the problem? He, he... this is getting crazy ;-D

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 PM
lina

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Don't worry X-)
>>
>> How did you type the X in email except copy and paste?
>
> The "ex" letter?
>
> It's a plain "x" in uppercase, available in almost any latin based
> keyboard in the world.

How UNBEARABLE silly I am.
I thought it's a multiply sign,
mathematic sign, like *.
so I have never know how to type it.

> (...)

>>> Are you using dhcp? If yes, this can be the cause of the IP change,
>>> just
>> No idea.
>
> You don't know what kind of networking system type is your computer
> using? >:-?
>
> cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Just right now know what does the dhcp mean.

>>> use static IP addressing or connect to the machine by using its
>>> hostname.
>> I connect using the hostname.
>
> Then you shouldn't worry about the IP change :-?
>
>> Weird, I noticed someone else who can connect the cluster for days
>> without drop out.
>>
>> and most weird is that couple of months ago, I barely noticed there is
>> such problem, just recent so often.
>
> And now what's the problem? He, he... this is getting crazy ;-D

Right now I used "who" in the remote one,

there were three "me" still connecting.
but the truth is the only one "me" connecting.
but other "two" are the two non-respond ones.

is it possible due to the server (cluster) setting problem?

seems very trouble,
I guess I can accept the ssh again when it's timed out.

Thanks,

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Best Regards,

lina

Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:50:23 +0800, lina wrote:

>>> How did you type the X in email except copy and paste?
>>
>> The "ex" letter?
>>
>> It's a plain "x" in uppercase, available in almost any latin based
>> keyboard in the world.
>
> How UNBEARABLE silly I am.
> I thought it's a multiply sign,
> mathematic sign, like *.
> so I have never know how to type it.

:-D

It's a common smily sign, ascii based. There is a more sophisticated
version of the symbol that uses unicode: ☺

>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Just right now know what does the dhcp mean.

He, he... good ;-)

But IP should not change unless network service goes down and up again
(or unless DHCP server forces a renew of the IP ever "x" time based on
its policy) so there is still the question on why the network is
restarted.

>>> and most weird is that couple of months ago, I barely noticed there is
>>> such problem, just recent so often.
>>
>> And now what's the problem? He, he... this is getting crazy ;-D
>
> Right now I used "who" in the remote one,
>
> there were three "me" still connecting. but the truth is the only one
> "me" connecting. but other "two" are the two non-respond ones.

Maybe the other sessions that were dropped?

> is it possible due to the server (cluster) setting problem?

Dunno, but if network service went down while you were logged remotely,
the ssh instances were not properly closed and they could have been kept
in background :-?

> seems very trouble,
> I guess I can accept the ssh again when it's timed out.

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón