Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Mark Grieveson

Default assistive annoyance

Hello. I have a laptop that I installed Debian Squeeze on, with the
default gnome desktop. I was fooling around with it, and enabled
assistive technologies, which put a round blue logo with a man in the
centre on the top panel. After experimenting with some stuff like
increasing the font of everything, I tried right-clicking on the blue
circle applet on the top panel to remove it, but this did nothing. I
cannot get rid of it.

It's only a problem when I'm playing an SDL fullscreen game. When I
press the shift key five times (something common in the game), suddenly
a message pops up about whether I want to (de)activate "sticky" keys or
not (from the assistive program(s)). The screen requires a mouse to
close it (not available when playing the game).

I've tried removing whatever I could find that seemed to be related to
this assistive stuff, but still no luck (IE, at-spi). So, how can I
get rid of this thing?

Mark

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 02:11:05PM -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello. I have a laptop that I installed Debian Squeeze on, with the
> default gnome desktop. I was fooling around with it, and enabled
> assistive technologies, which put a round blue logo with a man in the
> centre on the top panel. After experimenting with some stuff like
> increasing the font of everything, I tried right-clicking on the blue
> circle applet on the top panel to remove it, but this did nothing. I
> cannot get rid of it.
>
> It's only a problem when I'm playing an SDL fullscreen game. When I
> press the shift key five times (something common in the game), suddenly
> a message pops up about whether I want to (de)activate "sticky" keys or
> not (from the assistive program(s)). The screen requires a mouse to
> close it (not available when playing the game).
>
> I've tried removing whatever I could find that seemed to be related to
> this assistive stuff, but still no luck (IE, at-spi). So, how can I
> get rid of this thing?

I have the same problem for the same reason. Looking *eagerly* forward
for the answer.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Jude DaShiell

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 02:11:05PM -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > Hello. I have a laptop that I installed Debian Squeeze on, with the
> > default gnome desktop. I was fooling around with it, and enabled
> > assistive technologies, which put a round blue logo with a man in the
> > centre on the top panel. After experimenting with some stuff like
> > increasing the font of everything, I tried right-clicking on the blue
> > circle applet on the top panel to remove it, but this did nothing. I
> > cannot get rid of it.
> >
> > It's only a problem when I'm playing an SDL fullscreen game. When I
> > press the shift key five times (something common in the game), suddenly
> > a message pops up about whether I want to (de)activate "sticky" keys or
> > not (from the assistive program(s)). The screen requires a mouse to
> > close it (not available when playing the game).
> >
> > I've tried removing whatever I could find that seemed to be related to
> > this assistive stuff, but still no luck (IE, at-spi). So, how can I
> > get rid of this thing?
>
> I have the same problem for the same reason. Looking *eagerly* forward
> for the answer.

Let's see if I remember since I just turned orca on yesterday since
without it, or something similar these computers are just paperweights
for me. On the menus, it's in system then admin then preferences.
Universal accessibility is the next level to enter and disabling
universal accessibility should make your desktop useable again. You
might also have a look at your grub configuration file since your boot
line probably contains a parameter something like accessibility=3. You
might delete that parameter then get it right with grub then reboot.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> "I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his
Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in
action folks! You know he's got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:46:12PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 02:11:05PM -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > > Hello. I have a laptop that I installed Debian Squeeze on, with the
> > > default gnome desktop. I was fooling around with it, and enabled
> > > assistive technologies, which put a round blue logo with a man in the
> > > centre on the top panel. After experimenting with some stuff like
> > > increasing the font of everything, I tried right-clicking on the blue
> > > circle applet on the top panel to remove it, but this did nothing. I
> > > cannot get rid of it.
> > >
> > > It's only a problem when I'm playing an SDL fullscreen game. When I
> > > press the shift key five times (something common in the game), suddenly
> > > a message pops up about whether I want to (de)activate "sticky" keys or
> > > not (from the assistive program(s)). The screen requires a mouse to
> > > close it (not available when playing the game).
> > >
> > > I've tried removing whatever I could find that seemed to be related to
> > > this assistive stuff, but still no luck (IE, at-spi). So, how can I
> > > get rid of this thing?
> >
> > I have the same problem for the same reason. Looking *eagerly* forward
> > for the answer.
> >
> Let's see if I remember since I just turned orca on yesterday since
> without it, or something similar these computers are just paperweights
> for me. On the menus, it's in system then admin then preferences.
> Universal accessibility is the next level to enter and disabling
> universal accessibility should make your desktop useable again. You
> might also have a look at your grub configuration file since your boot
> line probably contains a parameter something like accessibility=3. You
> might delete that parameter then get it right with grub then reboot.

I think your missing something in my and Mark Grieveson's posts. Our
desktops are restored to the original state as before we played with
assistive technologies. It's the icon in the top panel that we can't get
rid of.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Mark Grieveson

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:04:50 +0000 (UTC)

> Let's see if I remember since I just turned orca on yesterday since
> without it, or something similar these computers are just
> paperweights for me. On the menus, it's in system then admin then
> preferences. Universal accessibility is the next level to enter and
> disabling universal accessibility should make your desktop useable
> again. You

I tried that and it didn't work. Specifically, I went to "System -
Preferences - Assistive Technologies", and then I unchecked the "Enable
assistive technologies" box. I still get the same issues as I
described. I didn't see anything else in "System - Administration"
that seemed related.

> You
> might also have a look at your grub configuration file since your
> boot line probably contains a parameter something like
> accessibility=3. You might delete that parameter then get it right
> with grub then reboot.

I checked /boot/grub/grub.cfg for any reference to "accessibility", but
couldn't find any. Is grub.cfg the file you were referring to?

Mark

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Tixy

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 21:34 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:04:50 +0000 (UTC)
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>
> > Let's see if I remember since I just turned orca on yesterday since
> > without it, or something similar these computers are just
> > paperweights for me. On the menus, it's in system then admin then
> > preferences. Universal accessibility is the next level to enter and
> > disabling universal accessibility should make your desktop useable
> > again. You
>
> I tried that and it didn't work. Specifically, I went to "System -
> Preferences - Assistive Technologies", and then I unchecked the "Enable
> assistive technologies" box. I still get the same issues as I
> described. I didn't see anything else in "System - Administration"
> that seemed related.

Try System > Preferences > Startup Applications and deselect 'Visual
Assistance' and 'AT SPI Registry' if they are there.

--
Tixy

Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Mark Grieveson

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:41:02 +0000 (UTC)

> Try System > Preferences > Startup Applications and deselect 'Visual
> Assistance' and 'AT SPI Registry' if they are there.

I already deselected 'Visual Assistance'. I checked for 'AT SPI
Registry' but could find nothing like it. I still have the special
needs logo in the top right corner of the panel, and it still gives me
the message if I press shift five times. Anyway, if anyone else has a
suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Mark